Purple Q

Sam Bee

TVWBB All-Star
Hey all, just picked this up...

https://offerup.com/item/detail/653989002/

I thought it was a good deal as it comes with the cart and folding tables and haven't seen much purple Qs around. Haven't really expected it yet but it looks like the igniter button is missing? I'm hoping it's an easy fix as this is my first Q. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it or flip this one.

Nice score. Be sure to use it a time or two before deciding to flip.
You may end up wanting to keep it.

Yah, I was surprised that the grates are in great condition. After inspecting it it's missing the push start cover and drip pan. I have a couple of piezo lighters on hand, anyone know if those can be used instead of the electric ones? Since it's only 1 burner, I'd rather use the Piezo style due to its simplicity and no need to worry about the battery corroding in the electric one.

I guess you could give it a try. A replacement of the whole electronic ignition kit will set you back almost as much as the grill. It probably had the electric start and it failed so they yanked it out. I don't know if a piezo starter will work with the igniter rod inside the grill. Try it, and let us know!

The missing tray is a bit of a bummer, because you will have to pay some to get that, too. These Qs are really nice grills, and I think you will very much like it. The problem with restoring and flipping is there is very little room for error if you hope to make a profit. If you were to buy a new tray and a new electric start kit your selling price will have to get uncomfortably close to new.

Yah Jon, not sure if I'll flip this one. I think the igniter button cover is the one that's missing and that's not too bad...less than $10. As far as the tray I may just have to bite the bullet and order one from Weber. I'm going to check and see if it's been registered though, if it hasn't then I'll register it and try to use the warranty to get a tray and maybe even the igniter button.

yes, you can swap in a piezo igniter. I would for sure. I agree, the Q grills are tough to make a buck on for flips. If the grates are bad, you are sunk. If not, then it is doable. One thing about those grills is you can easily and quickly clean them up and give them away as gifts with little invested. Just about anyone can make use of a little portable Q grill.
I have two Q1xx grills, a Q2xx and a Q3xx waiting for attention. THat doesn't include my two Q200's and Q140.
I have the Q140 in my camper currently, but I am thinking about swapping that out for one of my Q1xx grills. Gas is so much better than electric. Even if the campground electric is free and convenient, I would still rather cook with gas.

Last edited:
There was a true value he store near me selling the cubs version for $149 all of last year.

There was a true value he store near me selling the cubs version for $149 all of last year.

The Cubs had a disappointing season last year. I think they may be back this year, so maybe he can up his prices later in the summer:cool:!

Every season for the White Sox is disappointing, so they will never make a grill for them. Perhaps I will try out that method of doing metal etching (my tax-logged brain can't remember but it is what you see on stuff like stainless travel cups) and get a black Q1200 and make my own Sox MLB grill:cool::cool:

Jon, I have often thought about that. For me, I could probably move some Q grills with the green bay green lid and yellow/white "G" on them. Problem is, I am a "stick man" type artist. Any custom job like that would look like a third grader did it.

Yeah, but there is a method I wish I could remember the name and how it works... You can buy a kit and etch actual logos, etc. not something you draw. I have seen people selling those Yeti type stainless cups with color logos, etc. They didn't draw them by hand. Maybe someone here knows what I am talking about. I think I have also heard of someone doing it on a Q lid. That's where I got the idea for a Sox logo in white on a black Q1200.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/634668545/30oz-custom-engraved-yeti-tumbler-vacuum?ref=related-1

If you don't need special paint, then that would be cool because we both know we are going to have to use high temp paint. Hopefully someone can chime in with the method to do that. It would be great if it was workable and fiscally feasible.

Back