Unwanted Water in the WSM - Help?

DWDehaan

Hey all. Long time lurker.

I ran my usual set-up for brisket Friday night. Minion method, foiled water pan, etc. Woke up on Saturday to a bunch of water in the bottom of the WSM (under the coal grate). I figured it out when I heard hot coals falling through and hissing. There was a mist of ash on everything inside. Not good.

So, my two theories. It was raining cats-and-dogs during the night - WSM was under a roof eave but subject to getting wet. Could water have infiltrated? 40 degrees - could steam from the water pan have condensed on lid and run back into the bottom? The water pan didn’t slosh over (never moved it). Dry when I started. Pretty sure that the foil didn’t wick. No evidence of that and I was deliberate.

Love to hear the theories. Thanks.

David.

:blackperformer::blackperformer::wsm22::blackkettle:

Last edited:
Either is a possibility

I think you would need rain directly impinging on the smoker to get it inside.

Condensation could have occurred with the right conditions. But I wonder if it would be enough to puddle in the bottom.

I dunno

Foiled water pan, like on the inside? If you do that you have a chance of getting a pinhole or slight tear and when you add water your basically putting a lid on a pot of boiling water.
Where's that water going to go, but up the sides and on your coals.
Rain could of added to that, all my stuff is under a covered shelter and I still get that.
OBTW welcome to the board!:wsm:

Tim

Occasionally you'll get meat juices that find their way around the water pan and into the charcoal bowl, but that's usually due to a really large brisket that extends beyond the pan. Still, that won't result in a puddle in the bottom of the bowl.

Rain that hits the lid will run down the inside of the cooker and into the bowl. That's my vote if you had a lot of water down there. Second vote would be for water wicking out of the pan from under the foil. This is why sometimes I don't line the inside of the pan when cooking with water...if you keep the pan at least half full throughout the cook, there's enough liquid that the pan contents stay soft and are easily clean out afterwards without stuff baking-on the surface.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/using-a-water-pan-in-weber-smokers.html

To be clear. I foil the bottom and crimp the foil high along the top edge - just helps clean up. As long as the water level doesn’t touch the foil it shouldn’t wick. Something that I picked up as a WSM hack and I don’t know if it helps.
I read the FAQ on cooking in the rain. Seems common issue is the lid design sitting inside the middle section. We had 2 “ of driving rain. I’m going with rain infiltration.
Appreciate everyone sharing. I think the best idea is to get another brisket and try again!!!!!!

When it's raining cats and dobs that usually means a lot of wind. My money is on rainwater in your WSM. Every time I've had that problem it's been rain blowing in on my cooker and it rains cats and dogs a lot during the summer here. Another brisket is a great idea. :wsm:

Back