First rib hang in progress.
3 baby back and 1 st louis

Plan to wrap after good bark
I hung thick end at bottom....hope not a mistake

Dome temp reads right on money with meat slabs vertical

IMG_20190330_122047131.jpg

Last edited:
3 hrs at 275, bottom isnt burnt....

I like quickly check meat by opening door....doesnt spike temps bad.

Almost time to wrap.

Meat was 180. I go till about 200...butter soft . Probably 45 min more now that wrapped.

IMG_20190330_152226825.jpg

Last edited:
That looks great so far, Martin!

Thanks

Finished and ate.

Totally honest, i prefer not dripping in fire style.

Theres is definitely a burnt meat flavor/smell....i figured there would be, got the same from a chicken i hung last week. In both cases ....not a big fan.

Good thing, i can put my driptray (flower pot bottom) where the catch-grate is and still hang the ribs and have somewhat indirect heat if wanted. Being so close to the fire I probably would use a couple of layers of foil to help cut down on the metal temperature so the drippings didn't burn badly.

I like hanging the meat, it cooked evenly, no problems there. And easy to squeeze a bunch in without fooling with multiple grates. I accidentally knocked one off with lid being careless....just picked up off catch grate- no issues.

I did figure out i need to put 90 degree twists in my hooks, then 8-12 racks would be no problem at all. Theyd hang perpendicular to beams. Ill work on that.

And i still prefer baby backs over St. Louis...

Last edited:
Thanks

Finished and ate.

Totally honest, i prefer not dripping in fire style.

Theres is definitely a burnt meat flavor/smell....i figured there would be, got the same from a chicken i hung last week. In both cases ....not a big fan.

Good thing, i can put my driptray (flower pot bottom) where the catch-grate is and still hang the ribs and have somewhat indirect heat if wanted. Being so close to the fire I probably would use a couple of layers of foil to help cut down on the metal temperature so the drippings didn't burn badly.

I like hanging the meat, it cooked evenly, no problems there. And easy to squeeze a bunch in without fooling with multiple grates. I accidentally knocked one off with lid being careless....just picked up off catch grate- no issues.

I did figure out i need to put 90 degree twists in my hooks, then 8-12 racks would be no problem at all. Theyd hang perpendicular to beams. Ill work on that.

And i still prefer baby backs over St. Louis...

And you know what? That's cool.

Some people grew up with grilled ribs/pork chops and they love that flavor. Others like the cleaner flavor of not having drippings hit the fire. You do you!

My preferred method is actually a hybrid method of hanging over coals....then wrapping (even with no butter, sauce...etc.). You get a little complexity, but it doesn't get over the top.

It's all a matter of preference. My dad used to cook ribs over an open flame on an old Charbroil. PBC or Hanging ribs evoke a memory for me. Childhood summers and ribs by the pool. :D

I did some ribs last year...on the hanger...two racks I wrapped after a few hours and the other two I just let them hang the whole time. My dad and I preferred the wrapped ones...but my brother liked the ones that were on the hanger the whole time (more charred). He claimed it had a different...interesting flavor...that he enjoyed.

Last edited:
And you know what? That's cool.

Some people grew up with grilled ribs/pork chops and they love that flavor. Others like the cleaner flavor of not having drippings hit the fire. You do you!

My preferred method is actually a hybrid method of hanging over coals....then wrapping (even with no butter, sauce...etc.). You get a little complexity, but it doesn't get over the top.

It's all a matter of preference. My dad used to cook ribs over an open flame on an old Charbroil. PBC or Hanging ribs evoke a memory for me. Childhood summers and ribs by the pool. :D

I did some ribs last year...on the hanger...two racks I wrapped after a few hours and the other two I just let them hang the whole time. My dad and I preferred the wrapped ones...but my brother liked the ones that were on the hanger the whole time (more charred). He claimed it had a different...interesting flavor...that he enjoyed.

For sure. To each their own.

I found it more than a grilled taste. Hard to describe...except a little undesireable to me. Like burnt fat. Very subtle. Maybe more smell than actual taste. The drippings made some smoke...acrid smoke too..

I got 3 more racks to eat now before can try hanging with the drip pan in place under them That will probably take 2 or 3 weeks since cutting and freezing.. I think thats going to be pretty good with pan under. Hanging overall may not be any easier than racks, but it was easier to inspect and spritz the meat, and more even heat overall i felt. Plus it just looks cool.

Last edited:
Good experiment Martin. Always fun to try different techniques.

I'd like to try hanging for the extra capacity it provides. Did you make that rack? I like how it hangs high, giving more vertical space.

Even though i have a few racks in freezer still, i did two racks for experiment.
Hanging, but with drip tray under them. They clear it by 2".

I was worried about it being too close to fire and still burning drippings bad, but wasnt a problem. Ribs came out great. Very even, no "burnt fat" taste.

I was going to not wrap, but finally did because i needed racks in there to throw on some sausage and boudin in last 1.5 hrs. As much as i like ribs, the sausage and boudin with a little smoke were my favorite parts of dinner.

Hi All Did the hang rib thing 2X both times they were good.
Dan.
DZ9uoJQm.jpg

Last edited:

Back