Suggestions for my first smoke.

UPS just delivered my new 18.5” WSM (the doorbell rang literally two seconds after I posted my introduction post). I plan on doing a test run as soon as I get it assembled and my first smoke tomorrow.

What do you folks suggest as a relatively idiot-proof starter meal for a first time smoker?

Thanks,

Scooter

Some hamburgers would be easy, tasty, and help to get the seasoning started. Enjoy your new WSM!

If you want something quick and easy. Try Bacon. Couple hours and it melts in your mouth right off the smoker.
OR,a small corned beef flat. You might find them on sale this time of year. That also melts in your mouth.
Just follow Chris's directions http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cornedbeef.html
I don't bother making pastrami rub. I just put on lots of pepper.

Last edited:
Chicken leg quarters.
350 degree, skin down first hr, flip over cook another.
Go light on smoke wood1-2 chunks

After you eat the chicken for lunch, put on a pork butt.

Chicken leg quarters.
350 degree, skin down first hr, flip over cook another.
Go light on smoke wood1-2 chunks

After you eat the chicken for lunch, put on a pork butt.

I like the sound of this!

The chicken sounds like it’s right up my alley. What’s a typical size for a pork butt, and how long do they take?

Scooter

Congrats! Assuming you want to use the WSM as a smoker since you have experience with a Kettle I, personally, would choose my first item as a lower temp smoke and go for something like a pork shoulder. If I were overly anxious and wanted a lesser cook time I'd opt for ribs :)

I like the sound of this!

The chicken sounds like it’s right up my alley. What’s a typical size for a pork butt, and how long do they take?

Scooter

Chicken will make good fast grease to help start to condition the smoker, and gives you something to eat immediately.

Pork butts run 6-10 lbs. But the cooked meat yield is about half that, its not that much really. About 1-2 hrs /lb....depending on temperature and if you wrap to help thru stall. Higher temperatures cook faster, but 12-13 hrs is common for 250. Opening to spray the meat adds a lot of time on a long cook if you do it a lot.

No need to cook at any temperature under 250-275. Imo. As you.approach the end, near 200f meat temp, 275 is cooking 3x as fast as 225 woyld be based on dT.

Last edited:
You could do a Fattie. When wrapped in sliced bacon (not thick) it puts a lot of grease in the WSM. 2 hours at 250 is all it takes and if your temp gets high it's no problem. Now that's a quick and dirty first cook.

To limber up for the summer I did a "fully-cooked / readyto eat" half ham shank. About 3-4 hours at 230 with just a chunk or two of hickory smoke wood. Glazed with a honey brown sugar mustard glaze.

Since the ham is already cooked, it can't be under done.

I recently smoked 3 racks of ribs for the first cook....lets you jump right in, but its only about a 6 hour cook....gets some practice at lighting, temperature control, etc...

Back