Sous Vide

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I got a sous vide to help with reheating frozen bbq and of course I've picked up a cookbook on the technique and watched several youtube videos about it.

This morning I had an early start, & while getting ready I noticed a tri-tip I moved from the freezer to the raw meat section of my refrigerator on Sunday. It was vac bagged but unseasoned, so I hit it with a hefty dose of S&P (leftover rub from some briskets), placed it in a new vac bag, and then into the SV bath @ 130F. I let it run for 13 hours (6:15am - 7:30pm) & wasn't really sure what to do with it.

I thought about letting it go all night again, but the SV videos I watched on TT only showed 3-7 hours and I was already beyond that, so I prepped another vac bag, pulled it out of its liquids & it smelled good! Didn't look too bad either. I then put it back in the 8qt instapot pot I used for the water vessel & chilled it from 130F to 50F, & now it's in my freezer.

I'm halfway tempted to take it out this weekend but to reheat it'd be in a primitive camp site so that might not be happening, but all it has to do is thaw & then cook for appearance, so it may very well go out with us this weekend.

........I need to find the food safety time @ temp sheet again.

I started cooking with SV 2 months ago. I have a 10 lb. Brisket in my Frankencooler right now at 155°. I smoked it 4 hours, SV for 36 hrs., and it will go in the smoker for 2 more hours of smoke. I did a pork butt this way and it was great. With ribs I smoke, SV, and serve. You could take your Tri Tip camping and grill it over a campfire.

Your meat should be Pasteurized so I don't think you have a food safety concern.

Just do the eggs in pressure cooker on low pressure. 6 min gives me the nice creamy yolk I lie but some prefer 8 min or more for that harder yolk. They cook fast and they peel pretty much the whole shell in one piece. Someone here told about it I tried it in my stove top Fagor Duo and will never do them the old way again.

This makes 2 ways I need to try hard boiled eggs, the baking soda trick as well as the pressure cooker.

I can tell you from personal experience the baking soda trick is MEH. Did not see a lot of help from it. As for SousVide who the heck wants to wait over an hour for eggs to cook?!

Sous vide eggs certainly are not fast food, but you end up with eggs that are nearly perfectly cooked. Changing the pH of the water will depend on where you're starting and how much soda you use.

Just do the eggs in pressure cooker on low pressure. 6 min gives me the nice creamy yolk I lie but some prefer 8 min or more for that harder yolk. They cook fast and they peel pretty much the whole shell in one piece. Someone here told about it I tried it in my stove top Fagor Duo and will never do them the old way again.

I haven't tried that yet, but I did use an 8qt instapot insert on top of an oven mitt on my counter for my SV vessel

This makes 2 ways I need to try hard boiled eggs, the baking soda trick as well as the pressure cooker.

I can tell you from personal experience the baking soda trick is MEH. Did not see a lot of help from it. As for SousVide who the heck wants to wait over an hour for eggs to cook?!

I can't say that it works perfectly but it certainly doesn't hurt. I've done a whole lot of hardboiled eggs for pickled eggs (~4 dozen per batch sometimes).

Sous vide eggs certainly are not fast food, but you end up with eggs that are nearly perfectly cooked. Changing the pH of the water will depend on where you're starting and how much soda you use.

These didn't take long, & I didn't even start with hot tap water, I forgot about that. My tap water is ~145F iirc, so it'd only have taken ~10 minutes to get it up to temp, if that. I'm still eating this batch, & there's nothing wrong w/ SV eggs that I can tell.

Assume you didn't bag them, is that correct?

Correct - I got the water up to temp & dropped a couple in (~5" deep water). I watched the first couple bounce harder than I wanted so I lowered the rest with a slotted spoon. Then I set the water output stream so it didn't jostle the eggs too much.

Clint, did you take your Tri Tip to the wilderness over the weekend?

I don't remember! I don't think I've been camping yet this year but I've gotten out several times.

I got a sous vide to help with reheating frozen bbq and of course I've picked up a cookbook on the technique and watched several youtube videos about it.

This morning I had an early start, & while getting ready I noticed a tri-tip I moved from the freezer to the raw meat section of my refrigerator on Sunday. It was vac bagged but unseasoned, so I hit it with a hefty dose of S&P (leftover rub from some briskets), placed it in a new vac bag, and then into the SV bath @ 130F. I let it run for 13 hours (6:15am - 7:30pm) & wasn't really sure what to do with it.

I thought about letting it go all night again, but the SV videos I watched on TT only showed 3-7 hours and I was already beyond that, so I prepped another vac bag, pulled it out of its liquids & it smelled good! Didn't look too bad either. I then put it back in the 8qt instapot pot I used for the water vessel & chilled it from 130F to 50F, & now it's in my freezer.

I'm halfway tempted to take it out this weekend but to reheat it'd be in a primitive camp site so that might not be happening, but all it has to do is thaw & then cook for appearance, so it may very well go out with us this weekend.

........I need to find the food safety time @ temp sheet again.

How big was the tri tip? If it was thawed I'd be surprised if you needed more than 4 hours for it to be done thoroughly, though 6 is possible. You'll never get overdone food, but you do run the risk of losing more moisture as it sits.

If you're cooking at the right temp eggs take like 15 minutes. Fire it up, make coffee, cook some bacon, eggs are done with the rest of breakfast.

6 min in my Fagor Duo. It takes longer to ice them down than to cook them. They peel perfectly. Shell comes off in almost one continuous piece, they're done perfectly every time, no sticking. Why do anything else?

6 min in my Fagor Duo. It takes longer to ice them down than to cook them. They peel perfectly. Shell comes off in almost one continuous piece, they're done perfectly every time, no sticking. Why do anything else?

That's an old-fashioned pressure cooker..............I have one on a shelf but have an Instapot in the kitchen. So describe the process - get the water up to boiling, put on the pressure cooker lid, & get up to pressure, then time for 6 minutes, then release the pressure? The old fashioned way to hardboil eggs seems easier & faster than that. No matter what kind of boiling (saucepan/stockpot or pressure cooker) method, it has to come to a boil, then hardboiled egg techniques, some say just boil ~1 minute, turn off heat, cover, & wait ~12 minutes.

The pressure cooker would take the same amount of time to boil, set eggs, in, pressure cook for 6 minutes?, then release steam which would be at least another couple minutes.

I'm interested in trying HB eggs in the instapot, especially if they're always easy to peel.

I don't know how to use an InstaPot. I don't like stand alone plug in appliances unless there is no other reasonable alternative. I.E. a toaster, stand mixer etc. I eschew things like slow cookers, Insta Pot devices, bread makers and such.
So with my Fagor Duo I use about an inch of water under the steaming basket. Get it to a boil, (the water does NOT touch the eggs BTW), put in as many eggs as I want cooked. Put the lid on, once pressure is up (indicated by yellow pop up) usually within a minute, time for 6 (or desired doneness), release pressure, remove eggs to ice bath.
The method is NOT necessarily faster than old fashioned way in a pot of water but is FAR more fool proof. I get perfect eggs every time, creamy yolk, no green in the yolk, and superbly easy to peel eggs. The shells literally slides off in a couple pieces every time. That is why I use the Fagor. Again I cannot relate using an IP or things like it. I think someone on the board made a write up of doing them in an IP which is where I got the idea of using my Fagor Duo.
I think I also saw someone on YouTube doing them in an IP as well

I just did HB eggs sous vide again.

My notes:

"6 eggs

Start @ 135.5F (tap water) @ 10:37am, 170F @ 10:50am, start 60 minute timer"

with ~24 minutes left to go, I pulled one out & put in a cup of icewater to see what it was like. Pulled it out of the icewater after only ~1 minute, it didn't peel any easier than the last 12 (this is the remainder of the 18-pack of eggs that I did the dozen out of earlier in this thread). The yolk was a nice bright yellow, had a nice texture & tasted good so I stopped the rest after they'd cooked for ~40 minutes, skipping the last 20 minutes.

I ate 2 more on a salad........they didn't peel any easier than the first. I didn't add any baking soda or anything to the water this time either.....so SV doesn't seem to make the easiest-peeling eggs, but everything else is good with them. Still need to try the pressure cooker just for fun.

Once you do you will never do them any other way again. It's the only way I go when making them now even though I had gotten quite proficient doing the pinhole and baking soda trick (combination of two things I learned one from ATK and Jaques Pepin). ATK advocates baking soda, JP the pinhole. But a quick low pressure steam (I like 6 to 7 min, for a creamy yolk) some folks don't like that creamy center so for the super ball yolk crown 8 to 9 min seems to be their sweet spot

Back