Before I buy...

Josh Rodriguez

Hi All,

I have been eying getting a WSM 22.5" for some time now. Before I pull the trigger I wanted to see what accessories I should get before I light it up for the first time. I know that replacing the door is top of the list. I have seen 2 options for the door replacement on cajun bandit one with a latch and one without. The one with the latch is almost double the cost, but I am not sure if it is worth the extra money.

Secondly I am thinking of getting a temp controller. Any suggestion on temp controllers? I know there are a lot of them out on the market right now. Amazing ribs scored the Auber SYL-2615 pretty high, but have seen mixed reviews on it online. Some have stated that it has issues connecting to Wifi networks that are meshed.

Is there anything else I am missing or would suggest? For reference I currently have a Weber Kettle Performer :blackperformer: with a Slow 'n Sear.

I wouldn't worry about the door. Get the smoker and use it for a while. I think doors are scapegoats for many many things in most cases.
As far as controllers. It kind of depends on what you want to do with it. Whether you really need to change the temp with your phone,and make graphs. Or just want something simple.
Me,I like simple. I have an IQ 110. I put the knob either 250,or 275. Throw a few lit coals in the center,and in about 20 minutes or so I'm approaching my target temp,and I can forget about it until I run out of charcoal. And I only have to worry about running out on 10 + hour cooks. But mine is an 18. a 22 will burn through fuel much faster

Last edited:
The most important accessory I’d recommend would be a chimney starter.
After that a dual probe thermometer is the most useful item I ever bought. As for new door, wait a while, get used to it before you spend more. Replacing it is all well and good but, is it critical? Not in my opinion.
Buy more pork butts and learn a little bit before you dive in the modification pool. Again, just my opinion.
Butts, ribs, chicken, briskets will teach you more about how to use the equipment than changing doors and adding hundreds of dollars of modifications.
When it comes down to it, it’s your baby, do anything you want! I’m really cheap, I had considered a host of modifications but, I’ve maintained the KISS method with good results.
Keep
It
Simple
Stupid
Has proven fairly reliable methodology for my purposes, it’s worth a shot and, it doesn’t cost anything. Leaves more for beverages and more slabs of meat!

Last edited:
Timothy covered my approach to a new WSM pretty well. I've had all three sizes of the WSM and never replaced a door. I started with the 18.5" WSM and eventually added handles where I needed them - the center body and the charcoal grate. I used the square bend U Bolts for the charcoal grate and I wired the charcoal ring to the grate. http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/charcoalgrate.html#3in1

I agree that the most important thing is to use the WSM and develop your techniques. Like Timothy said, "The most important accessory I’d recommend would be a chimney starter. After that a dual probe thermometer is the most useful item I ever bought.". After you have a few cooks and are familiar with your smoker then you can get as exotic as you wish.

Let me add this 'accessory'.... HD Aluminum Foil, or Ceramic 'dish'/flower pot base and hd aluminum foil.

Regarding a CB access door: in terms of fit and function I agree it is not necessary; I upgraded to CB doors on my WSM's but they offer no better fit than the stock doors. However; on one of my WSM's the latch mechanism came "unglued" once and then happened a couple other times. That is what led to my decision to go to CB (and their latches). At the time, my concern was longevity so I opted for a more robust lock mechanism rather than contacting Weber for a replacement. I'm sure others here could share that they have had no issues with Weber's latches.

While I highly recommend the CB Door & Latch, I agree that you may want to hold off on ordering one until you see how your new WSM cooks. The same holds true for an Automatic Temp Controller. I like the CyberQ from BBQ Guru, but there are several others that are, I'm sure as good or, possibly, better. Lastly, depending on your setup, you may want to look the Unknown BBQ hinge.

BD

I dont think door is needed , unless you really mess yours up.. it's not unheard of for people to step on their doors or such. A few may come damaged too.

I don't think there's any comparison to the heater meter plus damper with any other controller.

Handles on body
Handles on coal grate
Replacement for water pan
Remote thermometer grate and meat

These are what I would say must haves are.

Nice....wheels , extend coal capacity
Really nice.... Basic temp controller

Game changer....heatermeter with damper

The main advantage of the temperature controller is remote control and monitoring. No going in and out tracking in mud when it's raining outside. Wifi and over internet ability....sounds like fluff....but eow, it will change your game. put food on the morning and go to work and you've got control over it all day .

Last edited:
Thanks Fred, I appreciate the input. I have seen a lot of sites/youtube channels recommend this so I thought it would be the top thing on my list. Might be moving further down my list now.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think just pulling the trigger on the WSM would be a good first step based on your feedback. Probably looking at getting a Thermaworks smoke since I have a cheap thermometer right now. I have a large standard charcoal chimney and also a smaller one by Weber so I think this covers the first thing on the check list.

Martin- I will have to look into the heatermeter w/damper. I have never heard of this before. Time to roll with some more research.

Honestly, I really wouldn't worry too much about "accessories." Just cook on it.

The number one thing for me for my 22WSM...without a doubt...was the Unknown BBQ Hinge. I could always find a place to put the 18 lids...but that 22WSM lid is huge. The hinge has made it my favorite cooker. I will stress though...some people don't feel comfortable drilling into their cooker...and that's ok. There are other things that will make your cooks easier.

My 18's used to have CB doors on them and they were good. My dad's/brother's don't and they cook just the same. For 22's I have seen several folks with CB doors note that it isn't an improvement over the stock door.
If you are really worried about airflow, get the lavalock gaskets for the lid and door.

Lot's of temp controller options...but for me...a Thermoworks Smoke is just as valuable. I learned to play with the vents and I can keep that thing steady for hours and hours.

My suggestions....Hinge, thermometer (like the Smoke), gaskets, temp controller...probably in that order.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think just pulling the trigger on the WSM would be a good first step based on your feedback. Probably looking at getting a Thermaworks smoke since I have a cheap thermometer right now. I have a large standard charcoal chimney and also a smaller one by Weber so I think this covers the first thing on the check list.

Martin- I will have to look into the heatermeter w/damper. I have never heard of this before. Time to roll with some more research.

I'm not the most experienced here, but I'll second and third everyone's opinion here. Accessories are cool, it gives you something to obsess over but really, I'd say wait until you've figured out where you want them and do it down the road. I bought an 18" and have a chimney starter. At some point I added a thermoworks smoke. I think having the Smoke or something similar is the best accessory after having the chimney starter. Use it for the meat, but definitely use it for the grate temperature as the regular thermometer is off.

Cook a few times and see how you like it.
Then again, I haven't tried the temp controller.

I don't have the 22, but just the tiny 14.
Like the others say, just start using it and find out for yourself what you need.
If your WSM is anything like mine, you'll find it changes it's behaviour after you have used it a couple of times (it starts sealing better)

I actually don't even use my dual probe thermometers anymore. Just the gauge on the lid. Yes, it's not accurate, but by now I know what it wants to tell me.
I would just advice on an instant read thermometer (if you don't use the dual probe).

Have Fun!

Bob Bass brings upa good point, the terra-cotta planter saucer is a fine piece for the arsenal!
When I started down the smoking road, I wanted to do my best to get everything right from the get go, this place helped so much. After reading opinions on various “heat sinks” I opted for the saucer method right from the beginning. My local greenhouse just had a “Pottery blow out” so I picked up a spare saucer for $6.00! Half price is great when you can get it!
Enjoy!

Oh, I’m using an 18, I was given a 22 but it was way too big for my needs, I ended up selling it. I didn’t have the extra space.

Last edited:
Let me add this 'accessory'.... Ceramic 'dish'/flower pot base

Do you mind elaborating. I have never heard of a pot base being used in a WSM before. I am assuming it is used as a heat sink of sorts. So does this just replace the water pan? Any links that your have or your can point me to would be appreciated.

Do you mind elaborating. I have never heard of a pot base being used in a WSM before. I am assuming it is used as a heat sink of sorts. So does this just replace the water pan? Any links that your have or your can point me to would be appreciated.
Hi Josh,

My 'suggested accessory', as Timothy mentioned, is to consider running your WSM without water in the pan. My WSM 22.5 has never seen an intentional drop of water in the pan during a cook. While many use a flower pot base, I do not. I foil my pan by itself.

Here is some insight to the water / no water issue.... Water / No Water
Note, figure #9 shows the foil following the pan inside surface. Mine does not. Instead it spans the opening but with a slight depression for drippings. Also leaves an air space between the foil and the pan to help with reducing the chances of burning those drippings.

As noted above, a good number of WSM users have placed a flower pot base inside their water pan to 1) catch drippings and 2) provide some additional heat sink capabilities... They would be far more able to provide info on this than myself.

Last edited:
I foil both the water pan and saucer.
Josh, the sauceris slightly smaller than the water pan and sits in it. It’s a less labor intense clean up. I’m lazy, I don’t like to deal with involved cleaning unless I have too.
One thing from a method standpoint, well a couple really. Unless I’m planning on using both racks I will leave the lower one out, and PAM is your friend too.
One additional piece of ancillary equipment that I have found valuable is an aluminum water heater pan with the drain hole plugged to use as a “washtub” for the grates, I use it outside and it keeps some of the crud out of the kitchen.

I do what Bob B mentioned. I bought a wide ole roll from www.webstaurantstore.com, whose dimensions accommodate all of my WSM's and other needs, and I leave a dead air space between the foil and my WSM water pans. This saves aluminum and reduces the likelihood of burning the juices. I'm certain I did not come up with that routine on my own but, rather, adapted it based on readings from this site. My water pans aren't spotless because 1) I came upon this method after a learning curve and 2) squeaky-clean is not paramount to me.

I recommend using the cooker, learn how to do what you’re trying to do, then see if you even need/want a door or ATC. It’s a great cooker right out of the box IMHO.

I think Bob nailed it too.

There are enough complaints about the expensive CB aftermarket doors that make it seem like getting one is much more like gambling than it should be.

I don't know if they still make them but the Maverick two probe remote thermometer has been fantastic for me.
I like the 6ft replacement probes better than the shorter ones it comes with.

Cook a 5-6 chickens in the cooker (one at a time) to grease it up and so you can learn how the temperature control works.
Maybe I am lucky but my cooker holds temperature well enough that I sleep through the whole night while it's running using only the vents for control.

Back