Birthday Spare Ribs

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Over the weekend we celebrated my son and grandson's birthdays. They like ribs so I decided to do three racks of spares. Sided them up with a potato cheese casserole and some garlic green beans, everything on a Weber. Here's the photos.

Got the racks trimmed up.

enhance

This was a six hour cook on the WSM running at 225. Got the ribs on a little after noon. Used Big Ricks Jalapeno Honey Mustard for a binder and topped with R Butts R Smokin' Ozark Heat rub.

enhance

enhance

While the ribs were going I worked on my sides. Put together the Potato-Cheese casserole. In addition to the sliced potatoes there is Cream of Chicken soup, shredded cheddar, chopped onion, salt and pepper and topped with a little parsley.

enhance

Got it on the grill around and hour or so before the ribs should be done.

enhance

I probe tested the ribs at around six hours. They were ready.

enhance

enhance

While the ribs were resting I threw on the garlic green beans.

enhance

Casserole done.

enhance

Rather an unflattering shot of the slices. Didn't notice the staining when I sliced up the racks. Must have been from the mustard binder or the rub. Was going to eliminate this photo but what the heck, gotta take the good along with the bad.

enhance

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

The ribs were fantastic. We finished two of the racks and we sent the other ones home with them to split. Potatoes and green beans tasted delicious as well. Well, that's about it. Thanks for looking everyone.

Nicely done Cliff. I've seen you do that potato casserole one too many times without trying it myself. That is going to change this weekend.

Thanks guys! Appreciate the comments.

Do they both have the same b-day?

No T, a few days apart. We just centered the get together around the weekend.

I've seen you do that potato casserole one too many times without trying it myself. That is going to change this weekend.

There's two different casseroles I make that are very similar. Actually I haven't done the Potato-Cheese for a while. I've flipped over to the Scalloped Potatoes that I do quite frequently. The finished product look quite similar except the PC casserole has cream of chicken soup and the SP's have a white sauce and not the cheese. They're both Weber Recipes that were published in a freebie book I received when I bought my first kettle many years ago.

I bet the son & grandson enjoyed that, looks fantastic. When you trim the ribs, are you cutting bone, or just the loose ends off?

When you trim the ribs, are you cutting bone, or just the loose ends off?

Hey Chuck...... I feel across the ribs to determine where the end is. I cut down the length of the rack at the actual rib ends and remove the flap meat and the shin bones or "rib tips". It makes slicing much easier. I'm still working at this as evidenced by my rather sloppy cut.

WOW!! Cliff that is one fantastic cook. Love the ribs but the potato cheese casserole is over the top. Will be trying that in the near future. Can you share the recipe with us. Thanks

WOW!! Will be trying that in the near future. Can you share the recipe with us.

Thanks Barb. I don't have a link as it's a very old recipe.

1 can cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese, American or Cheddar
4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp butter
Minced Parsley

Combine chicken soup, milk, half the cheese, potatoes, onion, s&p. Pour into a 2 qt. casserole dish. Dot with butter and sprinkle with the minced parsley. Place on kettle, indirect. low heat, and bake for an hour and 15 to 20 minutes.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Barb. I don't have a link as it's a very old recipe.

1 can cream of chicken soup
3/4 cup milk
1 cup shredded cheese, American or Cheddar
4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp butter
Minced Parsley

Combine chicken soup, milk, half the cheese, potatoes, onion, s&p. Pour into a 2 qt. casserole dish. Dot with butter and sprinkle with the minced parsley. Place on kettle, indirect. low heat, and bake for an hour and 15 to 20 minutes.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks Cliff, will be doing it soon.

OK... I am definitely getting the grilling/smoking bug and looking at cooks like this certainly don't help! Or maybe they do depending on how you look at. Either way, awesome looking cook! Definitely making my mouth water, and I just finished eating too!

Hopefully I'll find a good place to set up my grills & WSM at the new place soon... it's been way too long since we've had any BBQ/grilled goodness in our home. Thanks for the inspiration!

Back