Thighs on the Kettle w/ Vortex

M Craw

TVWBB Super Fan
I had never done thighs on the Vortex before... Looks like I'll never be doing them any other way again. Enjoy! We sure did. :cool:

IMG-7567.jpg

IMG-7568.jpg

IMG-7569.jpg

IMG-7575.jpg

IMG-7576.jpg

Nice looking thighs. That's the only way we make them anymore, the vortex works really well with thighs.

M Craw: What size Vortex did you use and how much charcoal?

I have the Vortex(Medium Size) which really provided some tasty chicken but on the negative it left permanent burnt marks on the central removable Weber Gourmet Grill where i placed the wood on my Weber 22" Mastertouch. I generally load-up my Vortex with a large Chimney full of Kingsford Charcoal.

Oh, thirdly a really nice cook!

Last edited:
M Craw: What size Vortex did you use and how much charcoal?

Medium sized Vortex and one chimney full of Kingsford. I've also added a good sized handful of un-lit Kingsford into the Vortex after adding a chimney full to the Vortex. This made for some great wings.

I have the Vortex(Medium Size) which really provided some tasty chicken but on the negative it left permanent burnt marks on the central removable grill where i placed the wood on my Weber 22" Mastertouch. I generally load-up my Vortex with a large Chimney full of Kingsford Charcoal.

That's what I did, but admittedly, I didn't put the center grill down right away because I forgot about the wood. It's never caused much damage, but I've only done like less than five cooks on it. I use this: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0044EQM9Q/tvwb-20

Oh, thirdly a really nice cook!

Thanks! Might do it again this week too! Thigh are so great as leftovers.

Last edited:
Those look excellent. The Vortex should be sold wherever chicken is sold- last week on a night where neither Megan or I had much of an idea what to cook, I got some supermarket stuffed chicken breasts with pepper jack cheese, bacon, etc. that were on sale. Decided to cook them with the Vortex, and never even turned them. They were magnificent, and the kids inhaled them faster than we did.

I want to see the vortex display by the chicken too!!!
It might be time for me to order my vortex!

9:15 and I just gave in and ordered the medium Vortex! Might be here in time for the weekend!
You guys are such enablers!

Last edited:
Those look excellent. The Vortex should be sold wherever chicken is sold- last week on a night where neither Megan or I had much of an idea what to cook, I got some supermarket stuffed chicken breasts with pepper jack cheese, bacon, etc. that were on sale. Decided to cook them with the Vortex, and never even turned them. They were magnificent, and the kids inhaled them faster than we did.

Chicken Grillers? I see you're in Iowa. :cool: Hy-Vee calls those bacon wrapped breasts "Chicken Grillers", and they're a real mess on the grill, easier in the oven, but I bet the Vortex would knock 'em outta the park! Good call!

Tim;
One of my absolute favorite things is chicken parts on one of my Performers with the Vortex. I typically make extras to use with other dishes in the following days (my Better Half is terrific with leftovers)!

You will NOT regret the Vortex purchase.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Thanks guys, have not told the wife yet, not that she would mind but, we are still trying to finish a bathroom project that’s taking forever!

More pics...

9:15 and I just gave in and ordered the medium Vortex! Might be here in time for the weekend!
You guys are such enablers!

You won't be sorry you did! Be sure to share your thoughts with us.

I made thighs again last night, and the rub I used had a bit more sugar in it and the thighs really darkened up, and nearly looked burnt. They weren't, but they didn't look as good as before. Also, they were rubbed about five hours prior to going on the grill whereas before they had only been rubbed for like 45 minutes. Oh, and I sauced the three in the bottom left corner in pic #3 (top right in pic #4) for about 7 to 10 minutes.

IMG-7619.jpg

IMG-7621.jpg

IMG-7623.jpg

IMG-7625.jpg

I think next time I'm going to try taking the skin off of a couple to see what that does to them.

You will all know when I get a few projects fired with the Vortex.
Tracking puts it somewhere between Bismarck and Chicago, not close enough!!!
I did chicken last week for our family dinner so, pork is on the menu for Saturday. Maybe thighs for Sunday?

Update, Friday 10:00 AM, it’s here, nice jar of wing dust, a couple of can coozies, I have too many things in the fire right now to fire it today but, I will have this thing hot by Monday night at the latest!

I will return...

Last edited:
You will all know when I get a few projects fired with the Vortex.
Tracking puts it somewhere between Bismarck and Chicago, not close enough!!!
I did chicken last week for our family dinner so, pork is on the menu for Saturday. Maybe thighs for Sunday?

Update, Friday 10:00 AM, it’s here, nice jar of wing dust, a couple of can coozies, I have too many things in the fire right now to fire it today but, I will have this thing hot by Monday night at the latest!

I will return...

Hopefully with your first vortex chicken experience.

Chicken Grillers? I see you're in Iowa. :cool: Hy-Vee calls those bacon wrapped breasts "Chicken Grillers", and they're a real mess on the grill, easier in the oven, but I bet the Vortex would knock 'em outta the park! Good call!

Exactly, they were the Hy-Vee grillers. And doing it with the Vortex made it absolutely zero mess, just let them sit right in place until they were ready to pick up and plate. And the crust on the entire circumference of them was so consistent and nice that they held together with all the innards inside until they were cut with a knife. I'm a little disappointed in myself for not getting a picture to share.

Back