oyster mushrooms

SSmith

TVWBB Fan
Any one grill up oyster mushrooms? A co worker brought in a gallon zip lock bag full of oyster mushrooms. (I usually grill stuffed portobella's in a lodge pan)

Just checking to see if any ideas out there.

Thanks,
Steve

Some EVOO and seasoning to taste is all that's needed. I would not try to smoke them. Mushrooms are too spongy and absorbent and will take on so much smoke they become inedible in a hurry. So IMO a little salt and pepper plus some granulated garlic they should be very tasty

I ended up sauteing them in butter, with fresh garlic and onions....avoided the tough stalks, it was ok. Wife didn't care for them much, wanted them cut up and smaller. I have another mess of them to try later this week. We'll see how that goes.
She actually prefers my stuffed portabella mushrooms.

Thanks for the advise,
Steve

for a snack yesterday I rough chopped a batch of ~6oz plain white mushrooms, microwaved them for 2 minutes, set a couple slices of Swiss cheese on them & into the microwave for 1 more minute. Added a little A1 steak sauce & stirred it up.... It seems like a good simple topping for mushroom-swiss burger, it'd have made a nice sandwich on its own.

I like mushrooms but have no other advice on how to cook those - I don't think I've ever cooked that kind.

they had a different texture than a white/portabello mushroom. Not as firm. I think I will dehydrate them and save them for soup or chicken casserole.

they had a different texture than a white/portabello mushroom. Not as firm. I think I will dehydrate them and save them for soup or chicken casserole.

That sounds like a good use for them, soup (pho or ramen) sounds best to me. Or maybe a stir fry.

I used to cook them all the time when my vegan friends came over for tacos. Chop them, season and do them in a skillet. To me...the texture is very similar to boneless skinless chicken thigh meat.

Back