Genesis 1000 Manifold, knobs don't turn smoothly

HCintineo

TVWBB Member
Hi all,

First time posting in a while, probably since I just got my 1993 Genesis fired up this weekend for the first time this year.

The knobs on the manifold don't really press down and turn smoothly, especially the front burner. Has anyone had this issue before and is there any way to fix it? Based on using other Genesis grills, the knobs should press down to turn and then 'lock' themselves into the off, high, med, and low positions. I have the manifold bracket holding it to the frame, but it still doesn't press down or turn as it should.

Thanks!

Chris:
Great video, but my valves were different. I just did the valves on my 2007 NG Genesis after 11 years of constant use and while the concept is identical, the tops of my valves are different. The bottom part of the valve clean/lube is identical. The top assembly is different. On mine you have to remove the roll pin from the valve stem to remove the valve stem from the bonnet. Cleaning and lube is identical. Reinsert valve stem in the bonnet and reinsert the roll pin for reassembly. My valves have two lock positions: OFF and 100% ON with adjustment down to the lowest flame. To reassemble the valve, I had to rotate the taper valve slightly to the on position and get the roll pin in the groove, then rotate the bonnet to align with the screw holes and turn to the off position. There is a notch on the bonnet that must point to the burners. Also had to re-adjust my knob bezels since they were slowing the valve pop up to lock position.

They are all a little different depending on who Weber was buying valves from but the basic concept is the same. Plus do only one at a time. A trick taught to me when I was an apprentice mechanic. My mentor always drilled into me never take both sides of something apart at the same time...........................just in case

Totally agree! My mentor said the same thing decades ago. Even in the age of cellphones with cameras, I still prefer the old fashioned way. I didn't bother with the refurbed 2007 Genesis LP e-320 I did for my son, but now that I've done mine, I'll do his next trip to his house. Lord knows, I've got plenty of brake cleaner and CRC lube. Chris was right on that too. You use so little of the lube, you probably could do a couple of hundred grills.....

Jon, I totally agree with you. I knew about repairing fire trucks, some cars, but then TVWBB came along and provides great mentoring and sharing of vital information. You are among the many who have helped me in the last year. I've had better results grilling and smoking, plus learned how to keep two 2007 Genesis grills humming along.

Yep, it is unbelievable what I have learned about Webers, grills in general, propane, gas, and the amount that I learned about using one of these is crazy compared to what I knew a few years ago. Thanks to the members on TVWBB.com and the gas forum in particular.

Back