Well, my 2019 season finally begins

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I started my first grill of the season. I have a nice bluehead Silver B that I am working on now. It was in really decent shape for a Silver B. I have decided that I will not be grinding out the cook box so that is going to save me some time. I cleaned it up pretty good and the paint on the outside is in pretty good shape, but, depending how it looks after I clean it up, I will probably still throw a couple coats of High temp on it. Same with the end caps. I have the outside of the blue lid done, but still have the inside to clean up. But, then, it should just be the painting of the cook box and maybe the end caps and then the frame, and I will be able to put it all back together and get it up on CL and FB. I was at HD today and a guy was loading a new Spirit E3xx into his truck. So, the season is here, but I am still not seeing much in the way of rehab prospects hitting the CL and FB marketplace.

I will post photos of the blue head when it is done.

Oh, yah, so far I haven't needed to break out the angle grinder/wire cup brush. I am planning to finish this grill without doing so. I may not get as much for it on the flip, but if I can still turn them around without having to grind the inside of the cook box out, I will continue.

Last edited:
I used that Sams Club grill cleaner on it along with some kitchen style steel wool. Seemed to help quite a bit. Certainly nothing as good as a full grind out with the angle grinder, but the "gunk" is gone. I will probably do the same with the inside of the end caps as well.

Bruce,

I am really happy for you that the weather has finally broke and that you can get out and get going again. It is gorgeous here, but of course taxes have me in a stranglehold. I am TRYING to stay at it so that I will have less extensions and more time later this spring and summer to do something outside (mostly grills, I hope!) and get away from this computer. Look forward to having some projects to post about soon!

Bruce and you others who do full rehabs - I've been meaning to ask. Do you completely strip the exterior of the lid sides down to bare metal? The 2 Silver Bs that I've redone so far both had the typical places where the textured paint had flaked off. I sanded those spots but left the rest of the paint. This obviously leaves a pretty visible blemish after repainting with gloss paint, and so I'm curious if you all just live with that or go the other route of getting rid of all the factory paint (and thus the texture) and end up with smoother lid sides after repainting.

Yah, if I have more than tiny spots on the firebox or end caps to repair, I strip them completely with an angle grinder and wire cup brush....Otherwise, like you said, it looks nasty.

I agree with Bruce, although I have experimented using a coat of high heat black, a coat of a textured paint, and another coat of high heat black on top. Nothing to tell you how long this will last; I just hoped by "sandwiching" the non-high heat textured paint between layers of high heat it would work out OK. It does at least get you closer to the original look. You could probably use my method as a "patch" applying the textured spray paint only where needed. It isn't going to match exactly but it will look a lot better than just splotchy bare spots.

I think Bruce and some others feel it is safer to go the removal route. And, having seen a number of their results, they certainly look great!

I would be surprised if rehab buyers would know that the endcaps are supposed to be textured. I think as long as they both look pretty much the same and don't have blotches, smooth or textured would be fine. Remember, we are Weber nerds. A rehab buyer is not.

Remember, we are Weber nerds. A rehab buyer is not.

Chris should cut out this quote and weld it to the top of this page. Great quote, THyde.

Bruce, good to have you up and rolling again. tvwbb is a better place when you are cranking out grills
and sharing your experiences with everyone.

Remember, we are Weber nerds. A rehab buyer is not.

Yeah, Dave, I need to post this in my "Weber graveyard shed," in my tool bags, on my computer and tablet screens, and next to my bed...I am probably one of the worst about being a Weber (well maybe a grill) nerd. The Broilmaster I sold for $450 included all kinds of extras, even a hand-painted stained wood handle. I imagined that a discriminating buyer would be my target and that these would seal the deal. Instead, I sold it to a somewhat eccentric lady who probably wouldn't have noticed if I hadn't included half of those things. Same thing for going WAY all-out on restoration parts or highly labor-intensive cleaning that most probably don't even see or care about.

You are almost certainly the most active "flipper" on here, and it obviously works for you. I would add, however, that the finished products you have posted still look GREAT. I am going to be very interested to see how Bruce's experimenting with omitting the wire brushing does for his sales and customer reactions. With so much backlog and so little time, I need to implement ideas that will work:eek:. Maybe I can learn to save the crazy stuff for collectibles and realize that I have no more room or need for any more of those!

Well it looks like I will be stuck on tractor duty for awhile. Pulled the deck off of Big Orange
e7FCb6p.jpg

Well got the darn thing off and figured it would just need bearings hit with grease gun, blades pulled and sharpened and a good power wash but noooooo. Apparently moisture likes to sit just under the cover and cause corrosion just under the edges of the upper drive cover. So it developed a stress crack. So now covers need to come off, I will need to wire bush top and bottom and have someone with a MIG welder do a house call and put a nice bead on that crack. Not a happy boy on this. Thankfully all the arbors are in good shape, blades just need a good sharpening. Then I need to put the spindle bushings in for the front wheels. Hit all the other grease points and it should be fit to go.
Haven't even touched the Honda yet. But, planning to pull the engine out, do the oil pump gear, timing belt and water pump as well. Fresh oil and filter, engine coolant and the little red should be up and running for another good long time as well Of course it too will have the deck pulled, power washed, blades sharpened, and everything hit with grease gun where needed. No grill work for this kid. No time....................:D

Jon, I hear you totally. When I sold my Skyline last year at the end of the season, I listed it for $400 thinking I would probably have it for the entire winter. Funny thing is, some guy drove a couple hundred miles to pick it up a week after I listed it. I had a Weber Tank cover on it, Quilimetal grats, 16 ga SS flavo bars and new SS burners. Fully cleaned out inside, everything repainted and repaired. I even made the kettle on the Weber badge red.

The guy didn't care a damn about Skyline and when I mentioned the tank cover, he just said "what do I need that for". He said he needed the grill for his hunting shack. The way I see it, the grill is sitting outside some shack in the woods right now with leaves all over it and vension burned onto the grates, a squirrel nest inside of it and the drip pan full of nasty gunk.

I am quite sure I could have sold him a hastily rehabbed Genesis for $200 and he would have been just as happy with it.

Larry, I have had a hard starting problem with my Cub Cadet the last two years. Replaced, battery even though the 7 year old one was cranking fine, replaced fuel filter, fuel pump and I only run premium gas with no ethanol. Well, I just pulled the fuel cutoff solenoid and it was toast. I had to oil the plunger and use a pliers to get it to move. Funny thing was that it was stuck in the down position so it shouldnt have been cutting off fuel flow. But it was definitely bad. It wouldn't even move when I applied power to it. Anyway, I have a new one coming tomorrow and hope it solves the hard starting issue. It runs great once it pops off.

I need it mobile. It is just sitting in my driveway taking up grill rehab space right now. And, YES, we still have snow on the ground around here.

oZZoANy.jpg

Yeah it seems if the solenoid is stuck like that most likely there is some other restrictions going on there. There may also be some kind of tie to the ignition system as well. So best to replace it. Thankfully I have never had an issue no matter what kind of gas I use. I have started trying the so called ethanol free stuff they sell at CircleK near my house. I honestly can;t see I notice it behaves any better than plain old E90 though

Yah, I dont really think it is the gas that caused the problem. I always run my small engines dry at the end of a season, but there is still a bit in the fuel system when it conks out. I just think that it is one of those things on a ten year old motor.
I just know that most manufacturers and mechanics highly recommend to run non ethanol gas in small engines. Since it is widely available in wisconsin as 91 octane premium, I will will pay the extra 70 cents a gallon for it. It is not like I run through 20 gallons a week... I think that with all the ATV's and off road vehicles in Wisconsin that just about every stations carries the ethanol free stuff.

I just had to jam all that stuff in the driveway into the garage. They are threatening rain. I need more garage space.

I would be surprised if rehab buyers would know that the endcaps are supposed to be textured. I think as long as they both look pretty much the same and don't have blotches, smooth or textured would be fine. Remember, we are Weber nerds. A rehab buyer is not.
Agreed - I was asking more just for personal use. I'm not going to be doing rehabs for sale anytime soon, not enough time for that. But you guys have infected me. After fixing up my first one, I found another silver B identical to the one I had only it was natural gas, which I want to convert to. So, I fixed that one up later last summer. Now I'm on the lookout for something else, not sure what. I'd really like either a C or x000 model with a side burner, and maybe looking for another color lid. And of course a Genesis Platinum would be nice too. I saw one or 2 last summer listed (probably without really understanding how desirable they are). Ugh, I don't need 10 grills though - I should probably be staying away from this place! Hah.

Dave, you should probably start looking for a 12 step program in your area. You are officially a Weber gas addict. Welcome to the club.

Jon did you actually cook on the Broilmaster you sold ? If so how did you like it compared to Weber ? cooks better ?

Yes, I did a few cooks before I restored the ‘3’ model. I cooked using the ceramic briquettes which I replaced with the tiles with holes in them. It can cook really hot, so I had to learn to go a little easier. Great results overall but I also get that with my Genesis, too. I never got to try out low and slow using a smoker box. One thing that the Broilmaster has is a little handle on the side that lets you keep the lid slightly open. This helps with regulating lower heat.

I sold that blue one to my pastor (for a really good deal:)). He reported overdoing burgers the first time but I think is getting it mastered. He really wanted that Chicago Cubs/University of Michigan blue:cool:!

Back