SPG (Salt/Pepper/Garlic) Rub

BruceS

TVWBB Member
Has anyone smoked meat(Chicken/Ribs/Brisket) using only SPG rub? If so, was the basic SPG better than mixing more complicated rubs?

On beef that's all I use. Short ribs, chuck steak/roast and brisket. I've tried a side by side test with a more complex mix (sweeter, for pork) and results are tasty either way. I't a matter of preference, I just don't need to add sugar and other exotics on a prime cut of beef.

I've done salt and pepper on beef. I usually prefer something more complex on chicken and pork. There's no better or worse. It's all a matter of personal preference. I often go more complex on beef as well depending on the meal.

I usually do a SPOG rub on proteins that I don't want a typical BBQ taste, so I can use it for other dishes. But nothing wrong doing it on ribs, brisket or pulled pork for regular BBQ.
You might be pleasantly surprised when you let the meat flavor shine thru.

Tim

"Dalmation Rub" (50/50 kosher salt/CBP) on full spareribs (not St. Louis--FULL) are one of the best things on the planet. Serve sauce on the side. (Hint: You may not need any....)

I use salt and pepper on briskest. SPOG plus a little brown sugar and chili powder on ribs, Cajun Shake on chicken and turkey.

Most things I smoke are rubbed with only salt and pepper these days. I have simplified my approach to my food (and also have cut my carbs tremendously).

Back