Craziest thing I've ever had happen

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So yesterday I did my weekly trip into the Chicago burbs to see my dad, plus the older of my 2 sisters joined us. Dad, wanted grilled salmon so grilled salmon it was. I got a nice center cut piece of organic King salmon raised in Scotland. This is outstanding stuff btw. While cooking this gorgeous hunk o fish I went outside to have a peek at it's progress on dad's old Genesis 3000. For the record this has the Summit grates on it. (heavy 3/8" SS). When I lifted the hood I heard a loud POP as apparently some of the fat "sizzled" between the skin and flesh of the fish. This loud pop resulted in some of the flesh "exploding" out spraying my face and putting a sizzling hot piece right into my eye! It not only was painful but startled the hell outta me I guess I let out a yell or something, my sister came running out and saw the slight burn mark on my forehead. Right eye was still very blurry. I finally went into the house. We were eating and she says she could see the stuff in my eye. Went in the bathroom and sure enough a piece of salmon was stuck to my eye! Luckily with a little moist tissue I got it off and all is well. But DAMN it was weird!

Dang, first egg on your face, now fish in your eye.

Glad to hear you are ok. That could have turned out much differently.

You are very lucky you didn't have permanent eye damage. Very weird for sure. I grill salmon at least twice a month and I've not ever had anything like that happen.

Gives a new meaning to "fisheye" ...

I'm here all week folks!

I told my psychiatrist I was starting to feel like a dog. He told me to get off the couch.

Oh!

Truly a once-in-a-"blank" chance that was!!! Living in Washington and fishing for salmon all of my 48 years (well, most of 'em) and being around it being baked, fried, broiled, poached, steamed, smoked, and of course grilled/BBQ'd....I've never even had a close encounter like that. You're very fortunate!!!

Yep. I bet if I live to 167 I won't see this again. But, I'll keep an "eye out for it" ba da bum.

Well I have another near catastrophe to add here. Last night wife wanted me to spin a chicken. So I did a nice marinade with good old Paul Newman's Italian Salad Dressing. While bird was relaxing in it's "bath" I made a flavorful spice rub for it. Meanwhile got all the stuff together motor, spit rod, extension cord and so on. Got a smoke tray ready also. Meanwhile did what I have done countless times. Got my Pyrex baking dish put down on flarorizer bars, put about a qt of water in it and got grill going. Once up to roasting speed I mounted up the bird and we were off. Toward the end I thought I would add a little more water to the baking dish. Suddenly the damn thing "exploded". Quite the noise too. Wife, daughter and little guy all heard the loud bang in the house. Thankfully no debris on the chicky so I let it finish to the sound of clinking glass falling through the grill.
I have done this countless times, I have seen people on cooking shows make gravy on the stove top pouring liquids into the hot pyrex. Never would have dreamed something like this would happen. The bird was delicious BTW

Nope, all the jokes above are enough!
Some of you guys should be on the stage...
There’s one leaving in an hour!

Ba dum dum

Back