Hey new guy looking to do a custom temp controller for my new 18" WSM

JRoll

Been lurking for a while. I just got a WSM 18 with ProQ extension and already modding it before I've even done my first cook. I've got a Gen 1 Performer that I plan to donate to my Neighbors as their a new family and are always wanting to though something on my grill.

I'm a electronic fiddler but I'm horrible at programming so I've got all the parts to do a temp controller just figuring out the code will he the long and hard part.

thanks

While I completely understand the “modification prior to acquisition” desire, i will encourage you to put at least ONE initial cook before you start “over engineering” just one man’s opinion.
Smoke, Drink and be merry for tomorrow we may fry!
The gen one performer offering is admirable but, keep in mind that the WSM is NOT a kettle, and cannot really fill that position. Test and, Think before you gift it away, maybe “share” with the neighbor for a while.
I think you have not “lurked” quite long enough to see that many, many WSM owners know that a kettle is an extremely versatile piece of equipment.
As I said, just one man’s opinion.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
I agree with Mr Lewis, what's the rush?
Do you plan to only barbecue, no grilling?
You can have the best of both worlds with those two, and no electronics needed for either, IMO.

To be honest I had a 18" kettle and shared a UDS for years. I got this 22" performer used, got rid of the UDS and the 18" and realized that I smoke way more than I grill and when I do grill I prefer the smaller size. A few burgers, a steak or 2, or maybe a few chicken parts but I've smoked tons of Boston buts, racks of ribs and a few briskets. So I'm modifying the WSM for a middle charcoal grate so I can small grill when I want and still smoke.

My neighbors are a very cute young family and He wants to manly grill sooo bad, but they're just out of college, first real jobs, first house and twin toddlers. This would be a perfect starter for them. Plus my deck is small so its one or the other, both is a little cramped.

Welcome J!

I know guys like you, we're wasting our time trying to talk you into "taking things slow" and "getting some experience under your belt" before modding your WSM. That's my advice, but you're gonna do what you're gonna do because that is just how you're drawn. Fish gotta swim, birds gotta fly, etc, etc. :D

I assume you're already aware of our HeaterMeter community? You don't need to know much about programming, but you need to know how to solder and you need to like to tinker: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?66768-HeaterMeter-Hardware-v4-3-3

You can buy the kit online, and you can 3D print your own case or buy them from community members. You can even buy the whole thing completely assembled, but that doesn't sound like what you're interested in.

Good luck and enjoy the journey!
Chris

Been lurking for a while. I just got a WSM 18 with ProQ extension and already modding it before I've even done my first cook. I've got a Gen 1 Performer that I plan to donate to my Neighbors as their a new family and are always wanting to though something on my grill.

I'm a electronic fiddler but I'm horrible at programming so I've got all the parts to do a temp controller just figuring out the code will he the long and hard part.

thanks

Do it! I started with an Arduino controller and ended up using two. You can run generic PID programs or collect data from your specific grill and build your own air/temp mapping. I use a 12CFM bladeless variable speed fan. You want a variable speed so the temp control is precise.

Back