2nd Cook questions

MikeT1

For my second cook I want try to cook a brisket flat. I"m going to try and get one about 5 pounds and try to cook it at 240-275 range wrap it at 165.

How many hours should I expect it to take? Want eat by 6:00pm.

First cook was ribs with lump came out good but ran too hot for me and had to chase temps the whole time. This time I will try Kingsford blue bag with a full water pan. Outside temp in the morning should be low 40's.

Would full charcoal ring and 25 lit minion style get me the temps I'm looking for?

Thanks

I did flats before full packers and my cook times at those temps ran about 1 hour per pound. I'd shoot for finish at 4 and hold it in a cooler for a couple of hours. The number of hot coals depends on the size of your WSM. If it's an 18.5" WSM I wouldn't use more than 20. I like to use fewer coals and wait a little long for the temp to come up. That helps me prevent big overshoots.

Last edited:
My first brisket was a full packer! Why play with parts? In for a penny in for a pound as “they” say.
If it’s a hit there won’t be enough, if it’s a failure (highly unlikely) it will make great brisket hash or something else delicious.
As Tony UK told me when I was whining about it:
“Put on your big boy pants and get to it!”

Back