Genesis Lid Issue

Eddie R Chicago

Hello everyone.

I just picked up a brand new (2018) Genesis E-310. The lid and cook box came already assembled. The issue is, the lid "rocks" a tiny bit when I open and close it as the left pin seems to be a little loose in that hole which connects the lid to the box. The right one is pretty tight and secure. I have an Ace within steps of my house so I took a walk over there to check out the one they have assembled (my all-time favorite Indigo Blue!) and that lid is tight as can be and closes and opens evenly. I am going to talk to the guy there tomorrow who builds them and have him walk over to my house and get his opinion on it as well since he can actually see it in person. In the mean time, Weber is sending me out new pins, but I have a feeling the opening for that hole might be a smidge too big. When I apply pressure to the left pin and try and lift the hood, there's pretty much no play and seems perfect. When I let go, and lift the lid ever so slightly, the rear left goes down first and when I bring it back down after that slight lift, the right front hits last. I would say there's about a 1/8" -1/4" play in there. It kinda "rocks" from rear left to right front. Has anyone ever experienced this situation? I tried switching the pins until the new ones come, but the same thing happens. Based on what I can see, that hole was probably drilled a little too big because even the other pin is loose. But I could be wrong; maybe it's something else. When I crouched down and looked at the lid just under the handle, it all appeared to be perfectly straight and level.

If they end up sending out a new lid, I'd like to try and talk them into sending me the Indigo lid. Does anyone know if the 2019 lid will fit the 2018 model? I know it's probably not going to happen but I was just curious. Anyway, if anyone can give me any input on my lid issue, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

Last edited:
Weber will replace it. Is it the cookbox or lid that is having the issue ? if you remove the lid and have cookbox only and put the pin in the left and then in the right is there the same amount of play ?

Last edited:
Make sure the bolts holding the end caps to the lid are secure. They provide the support to the lid overall when firmly attached. The actual porcelain coated lid is pretty flimsy by itself.

Bruce, yes, if you mean the "pins" with the "hook clips" the go through both holes. The one on the right is secure, the one on the left, I can push it back and forth a lot easier than I can the right.

I have another issue I wanted to run by you guys but I can't upload a photo. When I click on the Insert Image icon, it's asking for an URL. Do you know to upload a pic from your local computer?

Eddie, no, I am talking about the 5 fasteners on the inside of the lid on each side that secure the end caps to the porcelain lid. If those are all tight, it should make the lid as a unit, very solid.

Eddie, no, I am talking about the 5 fasteners on the inside of the lid on each side that secure the end caps to the porcelain lid. If those are all tight, it should make the lid as a unit, very solid.

No, those bolts are all secure and tight. There's something definitely going on with either the pin, lid, cook box, or a combination of all three. My replacement pins are arriving tomorrow so I'll pop each of them on the left side to see if it alleviates the problem, but I doubt it's going to. I'll let you know...

I have another issue I wanted to run by you guys but I can't upload a photo. When I click on the Insert Image icon, it's asking for an URL. Do you know to upload a pic from your local computer?

Eddie,

On this forum you can't load pictures directly. You need to use a photo sharing website like imgur.com or something equivalent. You sing up with them (free) and post your pictures there (and get bombed with ads). Then you copy a link from there to your post here. The picture will then be part of your post.

It does sound like maybe there is something wrong with the drilling in your cast aluminum parts - either the hood where the pin goes through or the firebox itself. One problem the immediately previous version of the Genesis had was that they made the holes with so little tolerance that they were really good for later freezing up. I don't know, but I wonder if they decided to add some tolerance which would result in a little bit of "play" in the opening and closing. On yours, however, it sounds like there is a fault creating too much play.

It does sound like maybe there is something wrong with the drilling in your cast aluminum parts - either the hood where the pin goes through or the firebox itself. One problem the immediately previous version of the Genesis had was that they made the holes with so little tolerance that they were really good for later freezing up. I don't know, but I wonder if they decided to add some tolerance which would result in a little bit of "play" in the opening and closing. On yours, however, it sounds like there is a fault creating too much play.

Could be. Like I said mine is last year's model. If you meant they were tight previous to that, then yes, perhaps. I can see if there was equal play on both sides, but it's just the left side that's loose.

You’re not going to believe this. I was installing a grill gazebo and when I was finished, I moved the grill underneath it and guess what. The lid now closes properly!! I can’t believe that a slightly un-level ground would cause this because that’s the only thing I can think of. It was sitting on a spot that had an ever so slight incline; barely noticeable to the eye but I guess it was enough to cause it. Oh well. Alls good! Thanks everyone for your input.

Eddie,

On this forum you can't load pictures directly. You need to use a photo sharing website like imgur.com or something equivalent. You sing up with them (free) and post your pictures there (and get bombed with ads). Then you copy a link from there to your post here. The picture will then be part of your post.

Ok, I uploaded it to that site. Here's the link. I was wondering if it will be an issue with the burners leaning a little to the left like this. I'll go out and recheck it tomorrow to see if it's any different being in its new spot now, but if they are still like this, will it be ok?
https://imgur.com/a/fyDEsoB

When you use Imagur, use the link that BB or Forum link. When you use that the picture will show up directly in your post rather than just a hyper link

Eddie:

Good luck with the new grill! It sounds like something isn't tightened correctly. I would get that critter on a level surface make sure everything is plumb and then check the bolts for tightness. I'd be willing to bet when it was initially assembled that it was not rechecked to make sure all bolts are tight to hold the correct shape. I'll bet your lid hinge issue returns and your tilted burner goes away.

Eddie:

Good luck with the new grill! It sounds like something isn't tightened correctly. I would get that critter on a level surface make sure everything is plumb and then check the bolts for tightness. I'd be willing to bet when it was initially assembled that it was not rechecked to make sure all bolts are tight to hold the correct shape. I'll bet your lid hinge issue returns and your tilted burner goes away.

Thanks! Yes, I guess you didn't see my post from yesterday but that's EXACTLY what it was! The grill wasn't on level ground. Now the lid opens and closes perfectly. Who knew.

Eddie:

I did see that. To me that would indicate that you can get the grill out of square too easily just by moving it. Sounds like something is loose and needs to be rechecked for tightness. If you move the grill again, probably will be back to the same issues. Sounds like too much play in the frame bolts.

If you open the lid half way and flex each corner at the the handle, there should be little flex in the lid. Give it a try.

Back