Tale of Two Grills

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
You can tell I am getting very restless and bored doing income taxes all day long. Here is just a fairly short but picture laden post that I came up with while grilling dinner. Hey, even during tax season a CPA has to eat!

I was warming up my Skyline to do a few burgers and looked over at the Lynx occupying a big chunk of my tiny deck. I started thinking "what do people see in these modern, all-stainless grills compared to my charming old Skyline?"

25hk49f.jpg

VS

rc0y0g.jpg

I certainly get the high-end construction, and obviously this Lynx is huge compared to the Genesis. But which one really LOOKS better on your deck?

It finally hit me that it was a little like picking between a beautifully restored 1963 Chevy Impala SS convertible and something like a 2019 BMW X-7 large SUV:

7s76P4R.jpg

VS

U2NVW3a.jpg

I suspect that someone who would rather have the classic Chevy (like me) would also rather have my Skyline while those who go for the new big BMW would also want a Lynx rather than an old-style grill.

Last edited:
Which one looks better on the deck? I vote for the Skyline. It's not even close for me.

Well the Skyline blends in better with your deck but the Lynx looks good on its own. The Lynx cooks well from what I understand, so lets wait and see until is fully restored and cook a few meals then will have the final verdict.

My first car was a 63 Impala convertible. Definitely better than that import. Only problem I had was when it rained, it dripped water from the latches. Unfortunately, it got totaled by an Opel who hit my Impala in the a-frame for the left front wheel. I then ended up with a Dodge Dart which was a big letdown. Definitely, the Skyline is the better look on your deck!

I like the Skyline...sometimes simple is best. I've no doubt that the Lynx is a great grill as well but as soon as something breaks or doesn't work right then that could be a simple or complex fix. The Skyline on the other hand is simple and is easily repairable.

Jon, the Skyline still looks as good as the first time you posted it.
What are you doing with it when not in use? Do you cover it?
Store indoors?

Both have their merits I personally think they look equally nice just for different reasons. I justified the Wolf because I feel every grill enthusiast worth their tongs should have the chance to own and use a truly high end luxury model. Once you use that Lynx you will see there will be things it will become indispensable for

Grills made of all SS always remind me of factory kitchen appliances. Useful, easy to clean but kind of ugly. I prefer the colorful grills in my backyard. On top of that most stainless steel grill hoods and fire boxes will discolor over time and look even worse.

You cant beat those older weber's especially the skylines. That is one sweet grill.

Personally I love the look of high end stainless appliances either indoors or out. That Lynx is top shelf and looks it as well. My Wolf.........................ehhhh............not as much. I think it may actually be a little too big for my deck. A Lynx like that one would look perfect size wise. But, OTOH I have not seen a bargain like mine come up yet. If I do I might just make a change.

Back