Q1200 vs Go Anywhere Gas or gasp, something else

Chris Kug

TVWBB Fan
I'm trying to decide what grill to buy.......
I currently have a whole set at home, Performer, WSM 18", S440 LX. I'm happy with the set up I have, however, I go camping with my son 3 times a year. We have historically gone to the mess hall but honestly lately the food has gone from edible to worse. A guy in our Cub pack was bringing his 22" but he isn't going this time and I was debating about stepping up and getting a grill to use, I have probably another 8+ years to keep going with Scout trips if my younger son catches the bug. I also feel it might be useful on some of our lower key vacations.

So which to get?
I have a small SUV, so I don't want to go big, smaller is better. I also considered charcoal, but frankly with the time between activities, I'm considering it might be a bridge too far, plus I cant comfortably fit the Jumbo Joe that I would want.
Is the Q worth the price difference? it looks like a well thought out unit constructed of high quality materials. does it live up to the hype?
is the Go anywhere good or is it just decent?

craigslist doesn't deliver that well when i search. a handful of beatup Qs that are either cheap and need grates (rusted) and an overhaul, or dreamers with nicer stuff but pricey.

I do have a lead on a new old stock Q1200 for $125 that I'm considering, and do think is the answer. Titanium in color, blah, but i have a hard time ponying up $90 more for a retail priced color that I like.

Napoleon has a nice suitcase style grill too that is priced close to retail of the Q.
Charbroil has a nice looking grill in the $100 range, but I feel I'd be kicking myself for not buying the Q at that price, but maybe its good?

The Q is definitely the way to go for Weber gas. I have laid eyes on the Napoleon and it's a nice piece as well. I have a older Jumbo Joe and I have to say I don't like it. Airflow in the thing with the lid on does not work well and even hardwood charcoal does not burn well unless the lid is off

I have never used a Go Anywhere but I did acquire some Q's over the past year. The Q1200 is a treat to use but if I'm cooking for an entire family I, myself, would be challenged going to that one; it has limited real-estate and for some of my cooks I'm accustomed to a two-zone setup. But others with more experience may have workarounds for these two observations that I noted.

The Weber Q. It will last you for many years and you can use it for more than just your Cub Scout outings. THey are awesome to cook up a couple quick burgers, dogs or brats or any other foods. If you are cooking for more that a two or three at a time, I suggest going with the Q2xxx size as it will give you a good deal more cooking surface while still being easily portable. I think the Go-anywhere would be a good choice if you only plan to use it a few times a year however. It will cook OK, but it's durability will not be near what a Q will be. Price is always something to consider.
But, if you keep your eyes open, you can find a great deal on a used Q grill and for about $75, can have a Q grill that will serve you will for a long time.
Many people dump the Q grills when they can no longer get the igniter to work which is a $12 fix. Others dump them when it doesn't heat up as well or doesn't cook evenly. It is just due to a dirty burner tube. Fifteen minutes with a wire brush will usually solve that problem. If not, a new burner is only about $25. The biggest reason they dump them is the cooking grates. Even if you have to replace one of them, it is only about a $50 problem. Many times you will find these for sale on CL and FB Market Place for $25 or less. That is where I would go for my Cub Scout Grill.

I've got a GA gas, GA charcoal, JJ and a Q1200. If you are choosing gas the Q is the way to go. The GA gas does not do well when the wing is blowing. If you are going with charcoal the JJ is definitely the way to go. It's 18" and cooks like a champ.

The go-anywhere gas is junk IMO, I've never enjoyed cooking on it.

I've eaten countless good meals on mine & friends Q100s. Fill it with kabobs, boneless/skinless thighs, London broil, tri tip, burgers, brats, etc.

The problems I have with the gas Go-Anywhere would probably be fixed with a cast iron grate, but that might introduce other problems with the light body of the grill.

I do have a lead on a new old stock Q1200 for $125 that I'm considering, and do think is the answer. Titanium in color, blah, but i have a hard time ponying up $90 more for a retail priced color that I like.

Buy that, and a rattle can of hi-temp in the color of your choice. Problem solved.

Yah, I made this one Red. $125 is a great price for a new Q1200.

rPby6NE.jpg

To update everyone... since I love updates...
I bought the Q from craigslist, new in box for $125. Its from a relatively local garden center that apparently has a grill display. Judging by the display, they don't sell many. All the products look old and a weird array of them too for such a place.

They had a Ranch on display, charcoal grate rusted. They had a performer on display with a plastic table and a Q100 on display too.

the owner who I spoke to on the phone wasn't there, but left pricing on the Q1200 that I bought. I would have considered the Q100 if it were significantly cheaper than the 1200, but doubted there was ability to negotiate wiht his people.

So its sitting in teh back of my car ready to be assembled.

I think it was a good choice for me in that it can be useful in a number of camping/travelling situations, should be up to the task to cook most anything (in small quantities), and should last. I alwys second guess myself, but I hate buying anything and being unhappy with the performance, no matter how cheaper something is, or as my father has always said, throw money at the problem and it will get fixed. I tend to be cheaper than him, but still have a taste for nice things.

If performance is a big concern of yours, then you certainly made the right decision for a portable grill. Hands down. And you got a good deal.

You'll be surprised how much you can fit on it and how well it works. If you're planning to use a 20# tank I'd plan on doing the gas line / regulator mod.

Can't remember if this was mole or tacos
20247696_10209930905851178_2380595230919269620_o.jpg

18319400_10209260334607316_6698595936588582211_o.jpg

18320489_10209260339447437_3208442360499518892_o.jpg

11027971_10204014035333113_5130721975749675154_o.jpg

1655799_10203974930395514_7825981252345798592_o.jpg

1961841_10204014034493092_5378413126299999532_o.jpg

what I used to keep the grate firmly in place one time:
1401310_10203974930315512_6261469590281343081_o.jpg

10959063_10203974929795499_8115816039113858134_o.jpg

you guys are making me hungry!
It definitely looks like i made a good decision, basically a fully capable weber grill, but smaller.

I can't wait to play with it

No pictures, but I tried out teh Q on a camping trip over the weekend and came away impressed. It took a little longer to preheat than I thought for such a small grill, but that cast iron is a big heat sink. But once it was hot, it stayed there. I only did sausages and heated up some mini tacos, but was suitably impressed by the construction, ease of use and design.
I'm looking forward to some steaks and other things on the next trip.

Back