Do I need a WSM, Gasser, and a Kettle

Bob A

My cheapo Char-Broil gas grill is about to die so I am going to purchase a Weber gasser. I do not know what model yet. I usually cook for no more than 5-6 people at once. So I am sure I will figure it out. Any suggestions are appreciated.

But the real reason for my post is to figure out whether I need a Weber kettle as well. I already own a 18.5 WSM so I do not need any smoking capabilities. What can I do on a Weber Kettle that can't be done on the Gasser or WSM? Any thoughts beyond: Hell yes you need it all, More is always better, etc.

Thanks.

I have all three and use all three, along with an offset stick burner.

I only use the gasser for convenience, ( its a Spirit 3 ) , its good for burgers. This game is all about personal subjective taste and opinion, but I don't think I have much to gain by grilling burgers on the Kettle. I also like to grill veggies on the gasser, and other thin cuts of meat, like some pork chops.

But I use the Kettle to reverse sear steaks, thick rib eye, like around 2 " . I can indirect cook to 115* and then sear. I can also get a little smoke on the steak by using some small wood chunks. I do baby backs on the Kettle indirect, at wide open, maybe avg 350*. They have enough marbling to not suffer from hot and fast.

I like the WSM for chicken, turkey, will do ribs if I don't wanna fire up the offset and spend a few hours babysitting the smoker temps.

But I do large cuts of meat, brisket and pork butt , on the offset stick burner , which could also be done on the WSM. Will also do spare ribs , like 5 slabs at once, when , like I said, I have time.

So yeah, its almost like a set of golf clubs, I gotta pull out the right club for the shot.

Last edited:
And oh yeah, I do chicken wings on the Kettle rather than the gasser. Go indirect for 35 minutes and that's enough time to get some smoke on them. I also use the vortex for wings, though I really think the Weber charcoal baskets would work just as well.

A kettle will always be used for anything and everything with ease. The gas grill for convenience, and the WSM 18 is a true jack of all trades smoker, very versatile.

I also have all 3. I use the kettle the most for anything grilled or indirect. I use the WSM for longer cooks. I almost never use the gasser except for the occasional last minute cook or to sear meat cooked on my pellet grill. If I had to get rid of one of them, it would be the gasser.

I also have all 3. I use the kettle the most for anything grilled or indirect. I use the WSM for longer cooks. I almost never use the gasser except for the occasional last minute cook or to sear meat cooked on my pellet grill. If I had to get rid of one of them, it would be the gasser.

Me too.

In fact, I've been thinking about selling my Spirit E-310 .. I probably would, except my wife likes it because she can use and we can cook spur of the moment on it.

My wife wants me to keep the gasser because it's "her" grill and the only one she can cook on without my supervision. She made boneless skinless chicken breasts on it last spring.

My cheapo Char-Broil gas grill is about to die so I am going to purchase a Weber gasser. I do not know what model yet. I usually cook for no more than 5-6 people at once. So I am sure I will figure it out. Any suggestions are appreciated.

But the real reason for my post is to figure out whether I need a Weber kettle as well. I already own a 18.5 WSM so I do not need any smoking capabilities. What can I do on a Weber Kettle that can't be done on the Gasser or WSM? Any thoughts beyond: Hell yes you need it all, More is always better, etc.

Thanks.

Really, if you ever owned a kettle, you would wonder what to do without it.

Tim

I have two gassers, an 18 WSM, a 22” kettle, 18” kettle, Go Anywhere (charcoal), Smokey Joe, Hibachi, Patio heater, and all the support goods for all of them, do I NEED them? Maybe not but, they all have their strong points.
The “go to” tool is the 22” kettle hands down!
Once you have one, you will NEVER understand why you have not had one for the last fifty years!

I am extremely fond of my Kettles, WSM's, and gassers. The Kettle is a real treat but given that we often we get home at 6 PM---and/or eat later than normal households---it is not uncommon for us to fire-up the gasser, especially during winter months. And similar to Lew, my wife only uses a gas grill. I have never used a rotisserie yet on the Genesis but it works beautifully on the Kettle. I also LOVE using the Santa Maria attachment on the Kettle. I guess there are those who mod or tweak their WSM to perform similar to a Kettle but I am not one of those.

Apparently, you enjoy outdoor cooks and Weber products so my guess is you would enjoy a Kettle. You have my vote to buy one, lol.

Once you have one, you will NEVER understand why you have not had one for the last fifty years!

Well said! When I first married at 22 we could not afford a gasser, so resorted to a Weber Kettle. For some crazy reason I felt poor because of it (which I was, lol) and never embraced it nor learned how to use it effectively. At our first chance, we unloaded it and bought a gasser. But back then Al Gore had not yet invented the Internet and my Dad was not an outdoor grill guy, so I had no-one from whom to learn. I used lighter fluid and had never seen a Weber chimney - never heard of one until 3 years ago.

Everything folks have said about the kettle are true. I've had one for 50 years. Tried gas once but wasn't happy with it. You obviously like gas and that's how you cook. I don't think you need a kettle. Get a gas grill that will accept a rotisserie and maybe an infrared burner if you want a sear zone. I don't now if they make those but it sounds like a do it all setup. Then hone your skills on that.

My performer will be the last grill to leave here, gas ignition, plastic side table so no rust ,lid holder, charcoal bin, I don't remember what I paid for it in 2011 but it's some of the best $ I have spent. The Weber spirit gas grill has been good but not great and would buy it again over the other cheap gasser's I have had. Having the room for the cart makes for a great time cooking with some where to set your platters and a beer if you need it,roll the lid back flip a burger or a wing and Bam your eating in no time lol

I struggled with this at one point. My neighbor said it best about his bikes. You always need N+1 grills, with N being the number of grills you currently have.

I have a Genesis S-440, 18" WSM, and a Performer. I started with a gasser then wanted the smoker and found this forum. That got me thinking about getting a regular charcoal grill, so I hunted down a used performer... it was a mess, I should have bought new. Then replaced my gasser as it was failing and wanted to treat myself.

I tend to use the gas almost exclusively with the WSM coming out a few times a year. I haven't used the Performer as much as I expected due to time constraints with the family and the gas is so easy, especially in winter.
I've considered selling my performer, but i put a bunch of work fixing it up and feel attached. I'll try more grilling on it this season.

Realistically, if you want to do charcoal, you need your kettle. If you're content not doing charcoal for regular grilling... you're all set.

Well with ten Weber's I guess N+1 is something I can relate too.

I have three kettles and one performer which is what got me back into charcoal, A mini 14.5 smoker and an 18.5 WSM. We also have a NG E320 which we use in the winter and in the summer it's our outdoor oven. My original genesis 1000 I bought new in 1998 now a 2000. A restored Skyline along with a chocolate Genesis II. And a three burner spirt.

We use all of them except the spirit and the Genesis II as I have to finish restoring that when it warms up and the spirt I will sell in the spring.

If I had to down size I would keep the NG E320, the performer and the 18.5 WSM and my original green top 2000.

If you decide to get a kettle seriously look into a gas assist performer with the gas assist it's just about as easy to use as a gasser and the table makes it very convenient.

Last edited:
I have 9. My Performer gets more use than any of the others. I have asked myself the lowest # that I would be OK with. I think I could live with 3. That would be the Performer, the 18WSM, and my Q1200. I would have the Performer for all around cooking, the WSM for smoking, and the Q1200 for when I was in a big hurry.

I’ve had so much fun with my kettles over the years, I would never be without one! I strongly recommend them to anyone who is looking for a new grill! It is such a fine design, it allows for so much versatility in manner of cookery, what more could one ask for?
To paraphrase another member of this forum who stated in his signe...
“Grills are like Guns, they each have their point of best use!”
Go ahead and get one!

Back