Crazy Menard's

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So I have been taking my tractors out of mothballs this week. 1st one out was big orange my Simplicity Sovereign. Sat down on it turned the key and it had to go for 2 crank periods for the fuel pump to wake up but it coughed right to life and pretty soon idled right down. Pulled it out of the garage and went to the Honda 4514. DOA. Not even a click. Battery was so shot would not even attempt to charge.
So yesterday I went out back and pulled the battery and went to Menard's for a new one. First time I have ever bought one from Menard's. (Usually I buy from Farm & Fleet or Walmart). So I bring in the old battery and go up to the cashier. I had brought cash from my personal "stash" for this (my tractor and Mixerdoc funds). Lo and behold I don't have enough cash. I ask the guy ***? He says he's gotta charge me $7.00 + Tax for the old battery then I have to take old battery to service desk to get a refund. Not happy so he says maybe just do the transaction there. No love. Last time I buy a battery there. When I buy at Wally or F&F as long as I have the battery with they always simply charge the after core price. So Menard's this experience unlike most I have there was "No Bueano"
But the little Honda fired right up thanks to it's electric fuel pump. Now my fun begins. I am going to pull the deck and engine off the Honda. Engine will get timing belt/water pump, new oil pump gear, modified with the addition of an oil pressure warning system, deck cleaned and blades sharpened.
Simplicity will have deck pulled, cleaned, painted, greased and sharpened. New front spindle bearings, a grease job, oil & filter plus a bath. Honda will also get grease job, oil and filter, new anti freeze, and of course a nice bath. Then I have to decide which one I will end up keeping. Love them both, but unlike grills I am having a hard time justifying multiple tractors LOL

Larry, just put new grates and burners in the Simplicity and keep them both...hahahah
Anyway, I don't know what size batteries you use in those things, but I get my garden batteries at Blaines. I had my last one on my Cub Cadet Riding mower for seven years and it was still cranking strong the day I traded it in. I just didn't want to have to deal with a dead battery in the middle of the mowing season. I always get the one with 300+ CCA for about $10 more than the standard 200ish CCA battery as well. The price on both are very reasonable and they often run specials on them in the spring. That being said, I have a Menards EXIDE battery in my truck and both of my deep cycle batteries are from Menards.

Keeping them topped off during the winter is the key. I pull the mower battery and two deep cycles and put them on a battery tender about once a month for a day during the winter months. One deep cycle is about 6 years old now and still strong.

The Simplicity uses a larger automotive style battery and they usually last a good number of years. But the Honda has the typical lawn and garden type battery. I just didn't feel like driving all the way to F&F and Menard's was having a sale, besides Menards is only about a mile. So Menards got the nod. But with that goofy way they handle the core it will be the last time

Yah, I hear you on that. It is a pain in the butt. I exchanged for one of the two deep cycle batteries and had to go through that same rigmarole.

Back