Reheating BBQ with Sous Vide

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I thought I'd post my experience with reheating 11 racks of babybacks & 2 packer briskets in a short timeframe.

The briskets cooked & cooled the day before, the ribs were pulled out of the freezer and put into the fridge the night before, so this is all starting from around 38F.

Here's my notes: 3/15/2019

Round 1
2 packer briskets (~25# total pre-cook weight for the briskets)
Filled the large/tall brew kettle with 2 briskets & 4 racks of ribs - each brisket & rack were individually vac bagged, & then I cut more vac bags probably about >2', sealed on one end, with the open end sticking out of the pot. Each piece of meat was double bagged.

Filled the brew kettle with hot tap water, 138F out of the tap.

2:01pm - The water dropped to 128F, put in the 900 watt Inova Sous Vide machine. 2:33pm: 148.9, 154.7 @ 2:41pm. Added 40oz water (142F from tap), temp dropped to 154.4, it was back to 155 @ 2:43pm (no temp loss). 3:06pm: 169.3F, 185 @ 3:40pm but that's just when I walked back into the house so no idea how long it'd been there.

I placed these in a cooler & closed the lid.

Round 2:
3:45PM - new batch (7 racks). Topped off with hot tap water, temp stabilized within a couple minutes @ 170.3 & climbing. These ones were in the double bags too, but one of the bags had 3 racks in it, & 2 others had 2 racks each.

....that's where my notes ended. I wound up leaving at 5:15pm, so maybe at 4:45 I added these to the cooler, I stacked all the open vac bag ends facing up. I poured the 185F water from the SV pot into the cooler & then took these to the truck. I drove to the event and they were still hot. I pulled the racks & briskets & put them in big foil pans, and then put them in the ovens when the dinner started an hour later than expected. I forgot my thermometer but didn't turn back for it so I don't have more exact details from there.

Back