To paint or not paint Silver B?

T Lucas

Finally got the 2001 Silver B out from underneath the snow drift here in Nebraska. Took a look at the grill and not in that bad of shape. The infamous cross member has some rust but not all the way through. I think trying to take the left side cross member bolt out of the cook box is beyond my capabilities, so I might just hit the cross member rust with some Rust Reformer and spot paint the frame. As far as the cook box and lid, I think a good degreasing and scrubbing inside and out will be good enough, but have any of you painted the frame and cook box attached to each other? Or just left it as after a good scrubbing? If I do paint the cook box and lid, what's the average life expectancy of the paint before another do-over? I have all new guts ordered (TVWBB-recommended SS flavorizer bars, SS grates, new burners, catch pan, drip pan, etc.) Just askin' the experts!
Thanks

I think if you’re going to paint you should disassemble the grill. It will come out a LOT better.

Also, my opinion is to paint the entire frame, not spot paint. Again it will come out a hundred times better.

Just my opinion, good luck!

I agree. Full disassembly before painting is necessary. If the rust isn't too bad next to the cookbox where the bolt goes through, you should be OK. I try not to strip any more paint from a frame than I have to before repainting. If there is no rust, just a good cleaning and treatment with a solvent like Xylol or Rubbing Alcohol before respraying with a high heat paint like Rustoleum Ultra High Heat.

Don't mess with trying to remove the nut on the bolt on the side of the cook box. Just get a vice grips and put a 7/16" on the other end and twist it off or grab an angle grinder and cutoff wheel and cut it off. Then replace it with a new Stainless steel nut, bolt and washer. I think they are 2".

I paint the entire frame as well. It keeps the shade of black uniform. You need to use high heat paint on at least the areas of the grill that abut the cook box and you can certainly use it on the whole grill, but you can use another regular paint on the other parts. Rustoleum 2x gloss black is a great paint.

I have redone several dozen Genesis grills this way and have no problems with the paint. No complaints from customers either. My personal Genesis 1000 was done 2.5 years ago and the frame is holding up great. The lid end caps however are going to need some attention this summer. Good thing is that they are aluminum and I dont have to worry about rust.

Back