Maybe the best “dog food” deal ever

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I was cruising my neighborhood grocery store butcher case and I found a pair of pork tenderloin packages priced at... $0.29/lb.!!
I actually figured that I might get them home cut the package open and immediately throw them away but, I looked at the cryogenic pack dating and it was “use or freeze by 3-16-19” I cut one package open and was greeted with the normal nothing type smell that one expects so, I popped one package in the freezer in toto and rewrapped one piece of the second package in plastic and overwrapped with foil putting that in the freezer and the other is in a nice marinade for grillification on Sunday!
I we’ll be translating the St. Patrick’s Day feast to tomorrow for my regular weekly family dinner feast! Corned beef in the crockpot, vegetables will work tomorrow.
Just laid in a little extra Jameson and Guinness so, I’m good for tomorrow’s festivities!

Nice score Tim. Barb and I were coming back from the doctors this morning and stopped at Fry's (Kroger) to pick up a few things. Of course I had to go check out the dog food section of the meat department and scored a $16 tri tip for $7.00.;)

Rich, I do love the “dog food” reference for almost outdated stock, I missed a really great two rib standing rib roast at $0.99/lb a couple of weeks ago, nice lady picked it up just as I was reaching for it, win some, lose some.
Hope it was a good visit with the sawbones?

My find today.
When I saw the marbling to this 1.65/lb Porterhouse I knew it would be this Sunday's dinner.
Regular price $10.99/lb, sale price equals $8.24/lb. Not a steal of a deal, but not bad for a CAB Choice steak that looks like it's at the high end of Choice.

Well, slap my behind and call me stupid!
I passed on a prime ribeye because I just didn’t want to freeze it and, I had enough fresh proteins for the next “reasonable” number of days. It is Lent and extravagant dining isn’t in the weekday menus. At least right now.
If there had been TWO, I would have felt them to be a frugal purchase for my wife’s son and I. I’m trying to empty the freezer as a Lenten penance and I’m doing pretty well but, I will try to exercise appropriate restraint.

I found out that Fry's loads up the dog food section at 9am, so if Barb and I go shopping we get there about 8:45 and lurk around the meat department until they bring the cart out. Yesterday we were at Walmart, they were closing out their corn beef flats or points at $.99 Lb. got a few of those all for under $4.00 each.

I found out that Fry's loads up the dog food section at 9am, so if Barb and I go shopping we get there about 8:45 and lurk around the meat department until they bring the cart out.

a-mischievous-vulture-and-the-checkout-counter-at-a-grocery-store-background_300x300.jpg

My find today.
When I saw the marbling to this 1.65/lb Porterhouse I knew it would be this Sunday's dinner.
Regular price $10.99/lb, sale price equals $8.24/lb. Not a steal of a deal, but not bad for a CAB Choice steak that looks like it's at the high end of Choice.
Well I got fooled, the tenderloin part for Jo was great, but the strip part had a lot of connective tissue.
I've never been a fan of strip steaks, and this one didn't help.

Back