Disappointed in Weber Customer Service

Gregory B

Bought a WSM 22" and I do like the way it cooks except for the lid/barrel fit. Neither the dome or barrel are out of round but you have to force the lid on and off. Weber customer service has been less than helpful. Just want to say its within spec and should be tight. I can lift the barrel off the base by lifting up on the top dome handle. Had to add handles to the barrel where I could hold the barrel down while I hit up on the front dome handle to dislodge it.

Wanted the specs to determine which unit was out so I could attempt to fix it. All I could get was the out to out dimensions for the dome and barrel are the same spec. Tried to explain that for the dome to sit inside the barrel it must be a little bit smaller. Must have been too complicated for customer service since they ceased responding. I didn't want a new part, just help and assurance that I wouldn't void warranty by attempting a fix.

Think I'll try bending the barrel lip out but figure I'll crack the coating and the unit will rust. Other option would be to compress the dome lip but it will crack and rust too.

Have none of these problems with my 18" WSM.

You should be able to bend any of it more than enough to make it fit right
without any worry or cracking. If you have to do more than that, then it
would really have to be screwed up. I would also suggest making another
call to Weber. Most of their reps will go the extra mile, but there are a few
that seem to simply be lazy and coasting.

Was this the case before you used your WSM rather than being an issue where grease and/or other natural deposits are causing the two to stick? It is not uncommon for them to become "glued" together from natural causes of smoking but there are other, simple workarounds if that is the issue.

If you are fully confident that you have a case then I would elevate this with Weber if I were in your shoes.

Last edited:
Was this the case before you used your WSM rather than being an issue where grease and/or other natural deposits are causing the two to stick? It is not uncommon for them to become "glued" together from natural causes of smoking but there are other, simple workarounds if that is the issue.

If you are fully confident that you have a case then I would elevate this with Weber if I were in your shoes.

It was like that when it was assembled.

I forgot to minus the lip on the mid-section (1/16") so if you put the lid on you should have a continuous 1/8" gap between the two.

Tim

I've heard of this problem before, it's not common, but it's exactly what you think it is, a misformed part...the lid is probably a little too wide.

I would not attempt to bend the lid or middle section rim, the porcelain finish will crack and flake off, which is not the end of the world, but your parts should fit! Weber should start with a new lid and see if that does it, and if not then a new middle section.

Call again and talk to a different agent. Tell them that your 22" WSM does this but your 18" WSM does not. Tell them that you've discussed this problem with other owners on The Virtual Weber Bullet forum and no one else has this problem with their 22" WSM. Tell them you'd like to try a new lid under warranty.

Good luck!

I've heard of this problem before, it's not common, but it's exactly what you think it is, a misformed part...the lid is probably a little too wide.

I would not attempt to bend the lid or middle section rim, the porcelain finish will crack and flake off, which is not the end of the world, but your parts should fit! Weber should start with a new lid and see if that does it, and if not then a new middle section.

Call again and talk to a different agent. Tell them that your 22" WSM does this but your 18" WSM does not. Tell them that you've discussed this problem with other owners on The Virtual Weber Bullet forum and no one else has this problem with their 22" WSM. Tell them you'd like to try a new lid under warranty.

Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already bent the rim out. Had a little cracking and I'm sure it will flake. Does work better but was tired of dealing with Weber. Customer service hasn't even responded to my last few emails.

I purchased a new 18" kettle in late 2015, and the lid did not fit without pressing it on. Weber sent me a replacement after the first call.

Two years later, I purchased a new 14" WSM, and it had a flaky thermometer, and the mid-section would rock from side to side a bit. Customer service refused to help me, and I had to go through channels to get things fixed.

The bottom line is, I believe it depends on who you are talking to, although it shouldn't be that way.

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already bent the rim out. Had a little cracking and I'm sure it will flake. Does work better but was tired of dealing with Weber. Customer service hasn't even responded to my last few emails.

Have you tried calling them?
I'm sure they strive for consistency of response across platforms, but I find customer service folks generally more amenable when you talk to them. My wife seems to think I sweet talk them, but I'm just being nice.

My experience with Weber and Weber customer service has been top notch. When it comes to customer service I’ve always called.

However it looks like the big box stores are moving away from carrying the WSM. 3 stores in my area always had them in stock now not a single one carries them (strange).

My experience with Weber and Weber customer service has been top notch. When it comes to customer service I’ve always called.

However it looks like the big box stores are moving away from carrying the WSM. 3 stores in my area always had them in stock now not a single one carries them (strange).

Hopefully Weber is not on the decline or my experience with customer service will become the standard.

I completely agree with you Lance, the caliber of service I’ve recieved from the Weber Customer service departmenthas been exemplary!
As to the big box stores dropping Weber products, if it’s “Big Orange” it won’t phase me but, that’s another story.
I’m maybe MOST pleased,that Weber has not abandoned the “Little Guys” the smaller, local business that appreciate their clientele and the superior products manufactured by the Weber company. I am glad to have three small shops within fifteen miles so, I have great people I can talk to face to face around here. Many are not so lucky.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you Lance, the caliber of service I’ve recieved from the Weber Customer service departmenthas been exemplary!
As to the big box stores dropping Weber products, if it’s “Big Orange” it won’t phase me but, that’s another story.
I’m maybe MOST pleased,that Weber has not abandoned the “Little Guys” the smaller, local business that appreciate their clientele and the superior products manufactured by the Weber company. I am glad to have three small shops within fifteen miles so, I have great people I can talk to face to face around here. Many are not so lucky.

I was recently out of town and stopped by a hardware store that blew me away. They had a big selection of smokers and grills. I could only dream of a place like that local to me. I always shop the small shops before the big box places. I was just surprised to see multiple stores moving away from Weber (or so it seems). When I bought my 18” WSM the lid didn’t fit correctly and I exchanged the whole thing the same day. So for me that was easier than shipping it back and all the headaches that come with buying something like a smoker online. I don’t see myself ever moving away from Weber products bang for buck I think they lead the pack.

Back