The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in Weber Customer Service

Disappointed in Weber Customer Service

Bought a WSM 22" and I do like the way it cooks except for the lid/barrel fit. Neither the dome or barrel are out of round but you have to force the lid on and off. Weber customer service has been less than helpful. Just want to say its within spec and should be tight. I can lift the barrel off the base by lifting up on the top dome handle. Had to add handles to the barrel where I could hold the barrel down while I hit up on the front dome handle to dislodge it.

Wanted the specs to determine which unit was out so I could attempt to fix it. All I could get was the out to out dimensions for the dome and barrel are the same spec. Tried to explain that for the dome to sit inside the barrel it must be a little bit smaller. Must have been too complicated for customer service since they ceased responding. I didn't want a new part, just help and assurance that I wouldn't void warranty by attempting a fix.

Think I'll try bending the barrel lip out but figure I'll crack the coating and the unit will rust. Other option would be to compress the dome lip but it will crack and rust too.

Have none of these problems with my 18" WSM.

You should be able to bend any of it more than enough to make it fit right
    without any worry or cracking. If you have to do more than that, then it
    would really have to be screwed up. I would also suggest making another
    call to Weber. Most of their reps will go the extra mile, but there are a few
    that seem to simply be lazy and coasting.
    E330 1997 Genesis 1000 Blue Performer wsm22 :wsm18: :wsm14: 1983 Red Head Chiefs NFL Edition

According to this it should be a 3/8" difference http://virtualweberbullet.com/22wsm.html#specs
    So if you split that in half you should have a 3/16" gap between the lid and middle chamber.
    HTH

Tim
    Last edited by timothy; 03-16-2019 at 03:18 AM.
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

Was this the case before you used your WSM rather than being an issue where grease and/or other natural deposits are causing the two to stick? It is not uncommon for them to become "glued" together from natural causes of smoking but there are other, simple workarounds if that is the issue.

If you are fully confident that you have a case then I would elevate this with Weber if I were in your shoes.
    Last edited by BFletcher; 03-16-2019 at 04:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BFletcher View Post
    Was this the case before you used your WSM rather than being an issue where grease and/or other natural deposits are causing the two to stick? It is not uncommon for them to become "glued" together from natural causes of smoking but there are other, simple workarounds if that is the issue.

If you are fully confident that you have a case then I would elevate this with Weber if I were in your shoes.
    It was like that when it was assembled.

Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    According to this it should be a 3/8" difference http://virtualweberbullet.com/22wsm.html#specs
    So if you split that in half you should have a 3/16" gap between the lid and middle chamber.
    HTH

Tim
    That's the information I was looking for. Info from Weber customer service was wrong. They said both the lid and barrel out-to-out dimension spec was 22.5" with 1/4" tolerance which doesn't work.

I forgot to minus the lip on the mid-section (1/16") so if you put the lid on you should have a continuous 1/8" gap between the two.

Tim

I've heard of this problem before, it's not common, but it's exactly what you think it is, a misformed part...the lid is probably a little too wide.

I would not attempt to bend the lid or middle section rim, the porcelain finish will crack and flake off, which is not the end of the world, but your parts should fit! Weber should start with a new lid and see if that does it, and if not then a new middle section.

Call again and talk to a different agent. Tell them that your 22" WSM does this but your 18" WSM does not. Tell them that you've discussed this problem with other owners on The Virtual Weber Bullet forum and no one else has this problem with their 22" WSM. Tell them you'd like to try a new lid under warranty.

Good luck!

TVWBB All-Star
    Tell them Chris said do it! He carries a lot of weight with Weber (right, Chris?).
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers, Smoke EZ, GMG Daniel Boone, White Thermapen MK4

And take pictures, sometimes they need to see what your talking about.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast