Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out this one on eBay...$2,075 and the bidding still continues!

Check out this one on eBay...$2,075 and the bidding still continues!

I recognize this to be a very early and rare version of the 18" Weber kettle. It is in extraordinary shape for its age and kind of cool, but man!!!!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Web...75c2%7Ciid%3A1

Our kettle collector friends have driven the prices up to the stratosphere on these old kettles. Way out of my league. I am happy for a few hidden gems I picked up for very little. Nothing like this but a nice connection to Weber's past. Not bad for just ten bucks!

Here is my 18 incher dating back to about 1974:

BEFORE I RESTORED:

AFTER RESTORING:

Last edited by Jon Tofte; 03-13-2019 at 07:28 PM.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

18.5", 18.5", 14.5", Royal Oak Lump / Royal Oak All Natural Briquettes, Blue Genesis Silver C, Q1000

Amazing what people will pay for some of these.
    Jon, yours looks great. That's a keeper for sure.
    E330 1997 Genesis 1000 Blue Performer wsm22 :wsm18: :wsm14: 1983 Red Head Chiefs NFL Edition

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    Yeah, it is kind of a fever. You start with a black one, a red one, maybe a blue. Next thing you know you want every color they ever made - and that is quite a lot! I have seen pictures of collections that fill garages and backyards. I guess if they were all $10 pickups like my example it wouldn't be totally crazy, but when you are at some of these prices...Wow.
    Genesis Platinum Skyline 3200 Q1200"Flat-top" 26 Kettle Red,Black 22s 1Touch Platinum, Black '74 18, JJ & SJ. Projects: Genesis 4, 2 many!

Yup, I decided I missed using charcoal so I went to HD and bought a new Blk MT. Food was so good. So I'm out of town visiting my sister and she only has a little gas grill. So I decide to look on CL and pick up a cheap kettle for her. Then it happened. I found a blue performer deluxe and I was blown away! Never knew they even made those. It came home with me and now I have different models and colors all around my house LOL!
    Last edited by MikeEgger; 03-15-2019 at 03:29 PM.

Awesome. Great find. I have been looking for a blue, red or lime green Performer for a while. But they are rare in my neck of the woods. Black, black and more black is what I find here. Same for older Genesis gas grills. I love the colorful Weber but I guess not many people do.

TVWBB Pro
    Stefan, it took me over a year of checking CL every day before I finally found my blue performer with gas assist for only $50!!! They’re few and far between, but the colored grills are out there.
    Good luck,
    Tim
    Weber SG Gold Mini WSM 18.5 WSM Genesis E 320 Q-200:cool '06 Blue Performer

Yes I know. A few weeks ago I hesitated too long on a lime green Performer. Price was steep and it had some damage to the enamel. Patience is needed.
    Same with blue or red Genesis models. They are very very rare Iím my area.

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan H View Post
    Yes I know. A few weeks ago I hesitated too long on a lime green Performer. Price was steep and it had some damage to the enamel. Patience is needed.
    Same with blue or red Genesis models. They are very very rare I’m my area.
    From what I can see, blue hood Genesis grills are not that common anywhere. I have been trying to source one for Brian in Atlanta. I see redheads not every day but often enough. Green is more common than blue. Other colors on classic Genesis hoods like charcoal gray, maroon, copper or especially "chocolate" are very uncommon in my observation.

There were many colors kettles were made in. The old 60's/70's ones like yellow, avocado, "glen blue" often fetch some pretty good prices. Black is off course everywhere. New copper, blue and green aren't extremely hard to find. The newer lime green was, I believe, a special color for Crate & Barrel. Reds are a personal favorite and can be found. I personally recommend staying away from the "Limite Edition" ones. Many have obvious flaws, and the red color is pretty washed out. (I wouldn't mind having the trim pieces it came with, though!)

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Tofte View Post
    From what I can see, blue hood Genesis grills are not that common anywhere. I have been trying to source one for Brian in Atlanta. I see redheads not every day but often enough. Green is more common than blue. Other colors on classic Genesis hoods like charcoal gray, maroon, copper or especially "chocolate" are very uncommon in my observation.

There were many colors kettles were made in. The old 60's/70's ones like yellow, avocado, "glen blue" often fetch some pretty good prices. Black is off course everywhere. New copper, blue and green aren't extremely hard to find. The newer lime green was, I believe, a special color for Crate & Barrel. Reds are a personal favorite and can be found. I personally recommend staying away from the "Limite Edition" ones. Many have obvious flaws, and the red color is pretty washed out. (I wouldn't mind having the trim pieces it came with, though!)
    Colored grills are rare in general where I live and so are older models in general. I assume this is due to the fact that about 70% of the population in our area didn't exist 25-30 years ago. In the 60s our city had a population of around 10K. Now we are close to 300K. So most of the older stuff that shows up is from the late 90s or later. Recently I missed a cheap older red kettle on an estate sale because I had to work that day and was not able to get there. But I will keep my eyes open.
    And yes the reviews on the new red limited edition models are pretty bad. They seem to have a serious problem with paint chipping and discoloration. Unless I find a dirt cheap one I am not interested.
    Blue Genesis Platinum, Green Performer, Crimson One-Touch Premium, Fuchsia Q1200, 22" Kettle and a waiting for restoration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast