Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Prime Time (2 prime briskets underway)

TVWBB Pro
    They look great! Man, that was a lot of wood!
    Lew
    Bunch of Webers, Smoke EZ, GMG Daniel Boone, White Thermapen MK4

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    Those look great Clint. We do one brisket a year and that's on smoke day and we eat off of it for months. This year I made some great chili in October with the point. Also made some great sammies with the leftover flat in December. .
    I'll be doing a couple more of these before the end of the month..... I wonder how long one will last me? One will be for a friend's birthday, and one for me and my freezer....

Quote Originally Posted by JKalchik View Post
    <chuckle> I did the opposite, I built a smoker to go with my HeaterMeter......
    Which smoker did you build? I don't recall......

Quote Originally Posted by Lew View Post
    They look great! Man, that was a lot of wood!
    That's not the half of it. I laid it on HEAVY - I expected more of a smoke ring. My cousin's husband used Mesquite on the spares he cooked so I figured I'd better not be too weak with the apple & cherry

I'm afraid I oversmoked the third batch of ribs I did, that's why in my notes you'll see I waited for the nasty smoke to subside. The oversmoked ribs I made will be sauced......heavily.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Which smoker did you build? I don't recall......
    A monster gravity fed charcoal smoker. 5 trays, 25"x28" each, capable of 10 full packer briskets and fully insulated. Runs just dandy at -6 F.

Looks awesome, Clint. How do you plan to reheat?
    ; ; ;

A monster gravity fed charcoal smoker. 5 trays, 25"x28" each, capable of 10 full packer briskets and fully insulated. Runs just dandy at -6 F.
    Nice! I could definitely see myself getting something bigger. I'll try to see yours in action if you post it.

Quote Originally Posted by JimK View Post
    Looks awesome, Clint. How do you plan to reheat?
    I measured the temp of water out of my faucet, it's ~148F, I have a tall brew kettle that barely fits on my stove, and then I just got a sous vide heater.

so I plan on getting it up to temp with my water heater doing most of the work, then work with the stove & or sous vide. I'll probably do most of that at home, then take to the church's kitchen in a cooler (dry), still in vac bags. I had all of the ribs individually vac bagged, some in my freezer, and half in my neighbor's deep freeze. I just moved them to the fridge a couple hours ago.

I also plan on sealing a bunch of long bags on only one end, putting stuff in there with the ends out, so everything will be double-bagged. Everything cooked to >190F, I figure it could sit at 165-180f indefinitely...........this is all new to me so it'll be interesting...and I'm definitely open to ideas.
    Last edited by Clint; 03-14-2019 at 08:04 PM.

I use my sous vide to reheat bbq more than for any other purpose.
    It works perfectly.
    E330 1997 Genesis 1000 Blue Performer wsm22 :wsm18: :wsm14: 1983 Red Head Chiefs NFL Edition

TVWBB Super Fan
    Nice! I could definitely see myself getting something bigger. I'll try to see yours in action if you post it.
    http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/smoker4 for a few shots from last summer. Unfortunately, what's not in that album is a full view shot of the smoker itself.

Building a trailer cradle for it to tow behind my g/f's Subie. It'll closer to load limits than most people realize.....

Clint, you did an outstanding job and man they look delicious. Come on smoke day, need to do a brisket for sure.
    2009 Performer Platinum , 1999 Genesis 1000 LX, Mini Smoker, 2009 E320ng, 18.5 , 1993 Smokey Joe, 2011 Performer Deluxe

http://chixjeff.dnsalias.net/smoker4 for a few shots from last summer. Unfortunately, what's not in that album is a full view shot of the smoker itself.

Building a trailer cradle for it to tow behind my g/f's Subie. It'll closer to load limits than most people realize.....
    I'd like to see a pic of it as-is, if you don't mind! Looks good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Barb D View Post
    Clint, you did an outstanding job and man they look delicious. Come on smoke day, need to do a brisket for sure.

Thanks Barb, I'm looking forward to doing my own but there's a corned beef soon to be Pastrami in my fridge that's first in line. I'll try to post a pic or 2 when I get to slicing.

TVWBB Super Fan
    I'd like to see a pic of it as-is, if you don't mind! Looks good so far.

That was after lighting it off at -6 F in January. Burned 12 or so lbs. of charcoal over 8 hours while I smoked some pork tenderloins, and didn't radiate enough heat out the bottom to melt the snow underneath.

I've been meaning to set up a couple of other shots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast