Pros & Cons of Pellet Grills vs. Weber Gas Grills

Victor Clarke

If you are interested in pellet grills, I for sure would look hard at Rec Tec.

Agreed. Generally speaking, any pellet smoker less than $1K or from a big-box store (Traeger, Louisiana, Camp Chef, GMG, etc.) are pretty-much the BBQ equivalent of Nexgrill, Charbroil, Brinkman, etc. RecTec is basically the Weber of smokers. Made in China, and not the absolute best, but definitely a step up for not much (if any) more money. (Though don't fall for their "package" deals.) If it turns out you like what a smoker can do (you probably will and Jon will soon find out), you will undoubtedly want to upgrade one of those "cheapies" very quickly and end up losing most of your initial investment in the process. If it turns out you don't like it, at least a RecTec should recover more due its higher quality and better reputation.

That being said, if you're really serious about smoking, I would suggest considering going one small step further with something like a Blaz'n. $1200 for a made-in-America, 304 stainless, ceramic ignition (which is actually a big deal and RecTec also has) and digital controller is a bargain in the pellet smoker world. I ended up going even a little higher up the scale with a MAK 2-Star and, as much as it hurt dollar-wise up-front, have never looked back.

In any event – and regardless of what the manufacturers' advertise – please don't fall for the idea that one unit can do it all. Smokers are smokers, barbecues are barbecues. They are different devices, just like a stovetop and oven. Pellet smokers are great for "low-and-slow" (ribs, brisket, spatchcock poultry, pork butt, ham, pastrami, etc.) and barbecues are great for "high-and-fast" searing, reverse searing and rotisserie (steaks, burgers, chicken, dogs, links, etc.). Can smokers sear? Sure, some can, but virtually always at a lower temperature and nowhere near as well as a good barbecue. Can barbecues do low-and-slow? Sure, some can, but with a lot of propane and/or charcoal, constant attention, without introducing nearly much "smokey" flavor (even when using chips/chunks), and nowhere near as well as a good smoker. (My MAK is parked next to a Summit for good reason.)

Lastly, a friend of mine who got a smoker and tried to do both, recently told me: "I don't always want to eat smoked meat". I couldn't agree more. Just as often as smoked sounds great, straight BBQ sounds great too. So, if you have to go with just one, get a good barbecue. At least there are a few ways to introduce some "smokey" flavor with a barbecue, but no way to keep it out with a smoker.

JMHO :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Generally speaking, any pellet smoker less than $1K or from a big-box store (Traeger, Louisiana, Camp Chef, GMG, etc.) are pretty-much the BBQ equivalent of Nexgrill, Charbroil, Brinkman, etc. RecTec is basically the Weber of smokers. Made in China, and not the absolute best, but definitely a step up for not much (if any) more money. (Though don't fall for their "package" deals.) If it turns out you like what a smoker can do (you probably will and Jon will soon find out), you will undoubtedly want to upgrade one of those "cheapies" very quickly and end up losing most of your initial investment in the process. If it turns out you don't like it, at least a RecTec should recover more due its higher quality and better reputation.

That being said, if you're really serious about smoking, I would suggest considering going one small step further with something like a Blaz'n. $1200 for a made-in-America, 304 stainless, ceramic ignition (which is actually a big deal and RecTec also has) and digital controller is a bargain in the pellet smoker world. I ended up going even a little higher up the scale with a MAK 2-Star and, as much as it hurt dollar-wise up-front, have never looked back.

In any event – and regardless of what the manufacturers' advertise – please don't fall for the idea that one unit can do it all. Smokers are smokers, barbecues are barbecues. They are different devices, just like a stovetop and oven. Pellet smokers are great for "low-and-slow" (ribs, brisket, spatchcock poultry, pork butt, ham, pastrami, etc.) and barbecues are great for "high-and-fast" searing, reverse searing and rotisserie (steaks, burgers, chicken, dogs, links, etc.). Can smokers sear? Sure, some can, but virtually always at a lower temperature and nowhere near as well as a good barbecue. Can barbecues do low-and-slow? Sure, some can, but with a lot of propane and/or charcoal, constant attention, without introducing nearly much "smokey" flavor (even when using chips/chunks), and nowhere near as well as a good smoker. (My MAK is parked next to a Summit for good reason.)

Lastly, a friend of mine who got a smoker and tried to do both, recently told me: "I don't always want to eat smoked meat". I couldn't agree more. Just as often as smoked sounds great, straight BBQ sounds great too. So, if you have to go with just one, get a good barbecue. At least there are a few ways to introduce some "smokey" flavor with a barbecue, but no way to keep it out with a smoker.

JMHO :)

Victor,

Some really good information and observations. In light of what Chris said, I think we should move this conversation to a new thread about the pros and cons of pellet grills vs. Weber gas grills. I am still in the "evaluation stage" with my pellet grill, but I will try to start one.

Chris,

It would be cool if you could lift Victor's post and this reply to a new thread. Maybe "Pros & Cons of Pellet Grills vs. Weber Gas Grills"

Victor,

I am glad Chris moved this to its own thread. A lot of interest and questions about pellet grills these days.

It sounds like you have good experience and working knowledge. I would consider myself in the early evaluation stage, but I will make a couple comments.

I think your analogy is very good about equating the Walmart/big box pellet grills with the various off-brand gas grills. Not to say that some of these can't make very good barbecue, but I am pretty skeptical of them lasting very long, especially in a humid salt air climate like mine. And I think equating Rec Tec with Weber (more particularly to me the OLD Weber when George :george: was still at the helm) is also spot on. My attraction to Rec Tec is in no small part due to my perception that while they use a lot of Chinese parts, the owners are extremely enthusiastic BBQ people who genuinely care about their product and their customers. They have chosen to compete at a level in the market below the higher end pellet grills you allude to, but they try to put higher quality in many of the key areas including the ceramic ignition, PID controller and use of quite a few stainless parts. Having followed them for a while, I have noted the steady improvement in the their products, and their customer service seems to be amazing. They even give you an owner's cell phone#!

I wanted one of these for a long time. Actually glad I had to wait, because the "Bull" with it's stainless components, classier black lid and other improvement such as wi-fi and built-in meat probes were worth waiting for. While I feel their prices are very fair, I work for a non-profit and already have too much of our limited funds tied up in grills. So, a $1,200+ Rec Tec - or any pellet grill in that price range - wasn't on my radar screen. But when I saw a lightly used Rec Tec Bull advertised for $800, including extras, I decided my time had come. Turns out it had virtually ALL the extras including a fold-down stainless front shelf, an extra inner shelf, custom cover, and, yes, a set of GrillGrates! Better yet, the seller threw in THREE HUNDRED POUNDS of some of the very best pellets. He had only used the grill FOUR times but was being transferred out of state by his company. I couldn't resist, and when I gave him the money I told him that my wife was going to kill me:eek:! After helping me load up everything, he took a fifty out of what I gave him, stuffed it in my shirt pocket and told me take her out to dinner:cool:! So this Rec Tec and I have started off great.

Sorry for rambling. I will just say at this point in echo to what Victor posted that I am really impressed with my Rec Tec pellet grill, but fully agree that it is a smoker. I tried burgers on it a couple times, but even with the GrillGrates it is only a mediocre solution - although the smoke flavor is still very good. My Weber gas grill(s) are in no danger of being replaced. But, I can see times I would previously have used my Green Egg now being replaced by this.

In a future post I will try to post some pictures and tell about the wi-fi. I showed our President, a pilot who previously flew extensively in the Caribbean for another non-profit, how I could adjust the temperature in my Rec Tec while sitting in our office. And I can monitor set temp, actual temp and two meat probe temps. He laughed and said, "That isn't barbecuing; that's pushing buttons! It's just like me. I am a PILOT. I actually piloted aircraft (70 year old DC-3's). Those guys flying 747's are just computer operators!"

Well, it may be computerized BBQ, but it does open up possibilities for doing long cooks while still being able to work and do other things I can't ignore for 12 hours.

sDvlSSZ.jpg

Last edited:
I know next to nothing a out pellet grills, i saw a few on clearance at my local Walmart Pit Boss i beleive it looked nice thin steel and small cook box like 15 by say 30 . I was drawn to the temp set to maintain a cook temp , but i do not know how good that part really works, would nice in the fall and warmer winter days, for long cooks. Do they really hold a solid temp like with in 15 to 20 degress?

My Rec Tec Bull is actually pretty big. It can fit six racks of ribs all laying flat, and that is without using the extra tray that could probably fit 4 more.

Honestly and truly, with the computerized PID controller, you set the temperature and it almost never varies by more than a degree or two other than when you open it up. Like my boss, my wife also derisively refers to it as computerized BBQ. Hey, it works!

qRA2d8f.png

Last edited:
I have a Rec Tec 680 (original version of the Bull —- red door, bull horns and all), and a Genesis gasser. I love them both and understand what they do best. Before getting the RT I used to smoke ribs and such on the Genesis with homemade wood chip pouches to create the smoke. Since getting the RT I have tried to use it to grill burgers. Learned what I knew I would find prior to getting the RT. The smoker does its best low and slow, and the food coming of that pit is second to none. I no longer ever get BBQ when out for dinner. The Genesis does its best with the direct high heat cooking method, and is also a great pit. I really love all the food I can cook with these pits and between both I am outside cooking at least 4X a week....year round.... in NJ.
My 2 cents.

Lots of advertising so far for rectec in this thread.

Not really wanting to do that exclusively. I do admire their company and so far really like their product. At the same time, I also really love my Weber gas grills - and my kettles, too. I see the Rec Tec complimenting rather than pushing aside my Weber gassers. Will I use my kettles a little yes now? Probably, but they still have a place and a special charm of their own. I still like charcoal and wood low-n-slow smoking when time is not so pressing.

I personally believe that somewhere deep in the labyrinth of Weber’s R&D department there is work going on to create a Weber pellet grill. It would be great if they can make a game changer pellet grill like they did for gas grills back in the 80’s with our beloved Genesis.

Rec Tec Bull advertised for $800, including extras
Hey Jon,

First of all, thank you & Jim very much for getting this moved. The subject matter on the thread I responded to changed so much and so quickly, I didn't know whether to even post a response or not. I'm totally unsophisticated in forum protocol, and very much appreciate your assistance.

Regarding your purchase, all I can say is, you definitely got a "smokin" good deal (pun intended, of course). What I cannot say is, I have any hands-on experience with Rec Tec, but their reputation in the smoker community is rock-solid, especially vs. other made-in-China brands. (As you mentioned, the company owners are so confident in their product, they give out their personal cel phone numbers, which really says something as far as I'm concerned.)

I might have gone Rec Tec myself if the 700 had been out at the time, but they were still on the 680, which is definitely a very good unit, but doesn't have all the 700 features, and not quite enough in my case compared to MAK. (Plus I really, really wanted to buy American-made and the good Lord has blessed us with the ability to do so.)

For Chris, please understand this isn't an plug for Rec Tec. Dollar-for-dollar retail price, I would still personally recommend Blaz'n at this point for anyone who doesn't care about the warming tray MAK offers and have no association whatsoever with, or any particular preference for, any manufacturer other than it being high-quality. That said, there's little doubt Rec Tec is currently the cream-of-the-made-in-China crop.

The WSM and offset guys will probably disagree, but the beauty of a pellet grill is the "set-and-forget-it" feature. There's a lot of gadgets out there to make WSMs and others more friendly in that regard, but for anyone who's pressed for time (like me), being able to just set a temp and walk away for 6-20 hours without worrying is a very attractive feature... plus we're not talking competition BBQ here. (That's a whole different world.) WiFi/Bluetooth monitoring functions add even more value if you're into that (which I'm not.... at least not yet).

If you're just starting out smoking, Joe is correct, smokers do best on "low-and-slow" and are not particularly good at "hot-and-fast". To get started, I would suggest trying ribs of any type at 225-275° first (e.g., pork St. Louis or baby back, or beef back or short) because you basically can't over-cook them (but you can under, so give 'em an extra hour over what you think initially). Then start moving up the food chain (spatchcock poultry, pulled pork, pastrami, etc.) with brisket being by far the hardest to master (I still haven't, but have spent, and will continue to spend, a lot of money trying).

The bottom line is, my friend is right – you will not always want to eat smoked, so never, ever give up your Weber! (Hey, that rhymes, huh?) It's kind of like sometimes pizza sounds great, other times, it's Mexican... or Chinese... or something else, but it's not always the same thing. As Joe points out though, once you start smoking, you'll probably never go out for BBQ again when in the mood (I haven't either). I think he'll agree that's because your own is better!

Of course, the ultimate comes from using both. For example, my "big family" cook is: pastrami (aka, smoked corned beef), pork St. Louis, beef back and short ribs (closest thing to brisket) on the smoker; plus rotisserie chicken, hot links and wings on the Summit. (Try doing all that on one grill.)

As you say Jon, smokers and barbecues are complimentary, not competitive, devices. But if you held a gun to my head and told me I absolutely had to give up one or the other, I'd keep the Summit and give up the MAK simply because I could get a little smokey flavor using the Weber, but not much sear out of the MAK (at least not without a lot of hassle) and I tend to prefer regular BBQ more often than smoked.

Hey, it's all good grub anyway though, right? Let's enjoy it regardless of which cooker it comes off!!!

I wholeheartedly disagree with this statement. I would encourage you to research the used grill market. All of the brands of "cheapies" you mentioned re-sell for 50% and most times higher,
at least in my part of the country, for 3, 4, 5-year-old models. They have much higher quality than the "Nexgrill, Charbroil, Brinkman," that you try to lump them in with. Pellet smokers/grills, are primarily used at much lower cooking temps than the traditional charcoal/propane grills. I think you will also find the average pellet cooker to cost more intially and be bought by more of a selective user than
your average box store grill. This translates in most cases to better care being taken of them, and increased longevity. I have one of those "cheapies" and could not be happier with it.

RecTec, Blaz'n and Mak all make an excellent product. However, they eliminate what I would guess to be 95% or more of pellet grill
buyers with their asking price.

I agree with Dave. I have a GMG Daniel Boone and it is a great pellet grill. Stainless steel cooking grates and drip pan, PID controller, optional WIFI, etc. GREAT customer service. Several other sub-$1000 pellet grills are of excellent quality - Grilla comes to mind. Not on par with MAK, Memphis, or FEC, but comparing them to cheap box store gassers is extremely misleading.

Dave & Lew, those are very fair points. I am totally a novice when it comes to pellet grills, so my comments are based only on what grills of this type I have observed in person and my preliminary experience using a Rec Tec. I have seen some pellet grills in Walmart that are way below what you describe regarding your Daniel Boone. Very thin metal, cheaper grates, low-end controller. So while I imagine that even a sub-$500 pellet grill like this could make some very decent food, I think it is fair to question its durability - especially if not practical to store in a dry garage or something similar. But at least a few of the better brands - that were probably hastily lumped together in our earlier comments - have some models that are their "value" introductory models. The low-end of these may not be a whole lot better than the Walmart grill. But, I would readily concede that Green Mountain, Traeger and some other brands have better models, too. I would be interested in learning more about the Daniel Boone you mention. Really, this is even true to some extent about gas grills at the big box stores that I and others are similarly guilty of lumping together. There are a wide array of these "lesser" brand grills. Some definitely are obvious junk doomed to rust out almost instantly, but some have at least some potential to cook fairly well and last a little longer if well cared for.

I also agree that the high-end makers of pellet grills - just like the expensive gas grills makers such as Wolf, Lynx, Fire Magic, etc. - are in a way higher plane. A US made, all solid stainless pellet grill obviously would have much more endurance potential than my Rec Tec. Same true for a Wolf vs. a Weber. For many users with more modest means (self included), however, I am glad that Weber - and Rec Tec (and I am sure some other pellet grill models as mentioned) make it possible to have something decent and stylish for a more doable amount of money. My Rec Tec cannot claim all-304 stainless construction, but it does use a significant amount of stainless, including in parts that aren't that obvious. It also at least seems heavier and more solidly built than many of its price-equivalent competitors. One of the Rec Tec owners does some fun YouTube videos comparing the Rec Tec to these, but notably the GMG Daniel Boone isn't one of them.

Anyway, I don't want to be guilty of slamming someone else's grill when I haven't even really looked at it much less used one:eek:. I think we were painting way too broadly and should have been more careful. I do apologize for that.

Keep this thread going as i am learning a lot about the different pellet smokers. I do like my cookers now but always looking at different toys for different jobs.

LOL: I was just thinking that I wished this thread would dissapear as it peaks my interest in pellet grills. I have been good enough to stay out of the coal burning realm for the most part and I really don't need to expand my grill hobby beyond my gassers. I have a hard enough time keeping up with those.

Bruce, I respect your dedication. But I have to experiment and try all the new gadgets.
I love the Smokey Mountain cookers. I love the kettles. I love the Gennies. I love the Q's.
I love the pellet grill/smoker as well. All different forms of cooking that produce a slightly
different taste.

I agree with enjoying trying out all kinds of grills...my backyard proves it!!!!

Hey those of you who might be interested, here is a link where Ray Carnes, one of Rec Tec's founders and the primary spokesperson does an admittedly not impartial comparison of the Rec Tec RT-680 - since supplanted by the RT-700 "Bull". You will get the flavor of Ray's enthusiasm if you give it a watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uMZsUhfX9Y

Here's a guy whose BBQ videos I have enjoyed, Daryl Smith of Bad Beast Barbecue. He now has three Rec Tecs. He certainly isn't impartial, either, but in this video he gives a rundown of the Rec Tec Bull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWF75mODTKg

Here's a very long video that I haven't watched in its entirety, but the reviewer compares a GMG Daniel Boone to a Weber Genesis II. Might me helpful if you have the time to see a more detailed analysis. This one is more neutral in its approach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sziTtEIBT1I&t=782s

Last edited:
They have much higher quality than the "Nexgrill, Charbroil, Brinkman," that you try to lump them in with. Pellet smokers/grills, are primarily used at much lower cooking temps than the traditional charcoal/propane grills.

Dave, please accept my apology for that comparison. I overstated. You are correct on both counts.

RecTec, Blaz'n and Mak all make an excellent product. However, they eliminate what I would guess to be 95% or more of pellet grill
buyers with their asking price.

Please note I started by saying "if you are really serious about smoking" and did not mean to imply it was the right choice for a mass market or occasional user. I'm obviously new around here, but this forum appears to be frequented by some very serious grillers who, in most cases, obviously use their equipment often and have a substantial amount of time, effort and money invested in high-quality barbecues and are passionate about their craft. For those types, I would still suggest they at least evaluate the added value, quality and features available in a $1200 Rec Tec or Blaz'n vs. an $800 Traeger, GMC (or whatever) before making a decision. As Jon points out, there can be a significant difference. (In his case, salt-air corrosion is also a big consideration vs. KC or NorCal.) Granted, MAK, Memphis, Mixon, etc. are pretty far out there price-wise and would only appeal to a very small group.

As further defense though, I also stated a big part of my brand decision was a determination to buy American-made vs. Chinese. (Apparently, I must be an outlier in that regard.) Maybe you and 95% of buyers don't mind sending your dollars to China, but I do, and am not at all inclined to apologize for keeping them here or suggesting others do likewise. My MAK purchase helped somebody in Oregon get a paycheck and my Summit purchase helped someone else get one in Illinois. A Blaz'n purchase would help someone in Nebraska. Buying a Traeger at Home Depot or a Louisiana at Costco might get a 12-year-old factory worker a half bowl of rice in Shanghai, but that's not my "cup of tea" so-to-speak and hope you can understand that. (Though I do donate to faith-based charities that might at least get him and others a full bowl.)

For those with a WMC and other charcoal, offset or (even) electric type smokers, please understand, I am not knocking them in any way. My understanding is many can do a tremendous job, but I personally have no experience with them, so can't comment, and simply don't have the time to explore the option. Pellet smoking is just a "quick and easy" way for me and works very well as a compliment to the gasser, but I'm certainly not going to claim it's the only or best way.

You really cant compare 2 different styles of cookers imo,I love my Webers but they cook totally different than my Pit Boss Austin LX, I bought the PB last may and it has been great,it has a slide to open up the flames from the fire pot for direct grilling. Temps run pretty consistent but does have a swing and I think that's to help it produce more smoke at lower temps. The smoke flavor isn't as strong due to the efficiency of the burn,the higher you go the lower the smoke flavor . A PID controller isn't needed to produce good food but offers better temp control for folks that are worried about the trip instead of the destination imo. The Weber's will be the last grills to ever leave my house , also cant compare them to a gas grill ,PB now have a 5 year warranty on them and that's a lot more than some others give. Try some food from 1 of them before you spend $ on 1,it may not suit you if you like a lot of smoke flavor.

Back