Ruined Chicken - Woody Breast Syndrome.

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
I am so tired of buying expensive chicken only to find when cooked it suffers from woody breast syndrome. I do not think the method of cooking is the problem so I cannot understand what the problem is. I never return the chicken to the store but I am considering returning it from now on if it suffers from this HORRIBLE problem. :mad:

Please, somebody, help me understand what is the problem?! How do I avoid this issue? It ruins my food for my entire family and it's such a waste of time and money. What is the poultry industry doing to prevent this?!

It has happened with fresh chicken and frozen chicken, and seems to occur across brand names.

Is there a solution?

How do I avoid this issue? It ruins my food for my entire family and it's such a waste of time and money. What is the poultry industry doing to prevent this?!

It has happened with fresh chicken and frozen chicken, and seems to occur across brand names.

Is there a solution?

Apparently not.

The WBC disorder is emerging on a global scale and the incidence rate could be up to 50% of a flock.

From April 2017 https://atlasofscience.org/the-wood...s-of-both-raw-and-cooked-chicken-breast-meat/

This syndrome was foreign to me until reading your post and I have never eaten a tough piece of chicken that I know, so don't count on me for advice, lol.

That's why we got away from chicken breasts for the most part and use thighs almost exclusively. We did get some boneless skinless breasts when the had them for $.99 a pound we got 10 pounds, sounds like a lot but that was only eight breasts. They are all over 1 pound. We've done a few dishes with them and they have been great so far. But I have not grilled any and don't intend to because the thighs hold up much better to grilling.

That's why we got away from chicken breasts for the most part and use thighs almost exclusively. We did get some boneless skinless breasts when the had them for $.99 a pound we got 10 pounds, sounds like a lot but that was only eight breasts. They are all over 1 pound. We've done a few dishes with them and they have been great so far. But I have not grilled any and don't intend to because the thighs hold up much better to grilling.
Same here, can't remember the last time I grilled breasts and seldom buy them anymore, I do grill plenty of thighs though.
I put them in the same category as pork loins (not pork tenderloins) not much taste unless added by other means.
On second thought, I still grill breaded breast chunk kabobs for chicken spedini on occasions.

Same here, can't remember the last time I grilled breasts and seldom buy them anymore, I do grill plenty of thighs though.
I put them in the same category as pork loins (not pork tenderloins) not much taste unless added by other means.
On second thought, I still grill breaded breast chunk kabobs for chicken spedini on occasions.

Same here the only thing I use pork lions for is Canadian bacon. We've been using the indoor Weber (slow cooker) and doing that the chicken comes out more like braised than like grilled. I will also pouch a breast in a mixture of teriyaki and soy diluted with some water to keep it from burning add some seasoning and make a sammie with a slice of pineapple that's really good.

Last edited:
Same here the only thing I use pork lions for is Canadian bacon. We've been using the indoor Weber (slow cooker) and doing that the chicken comes out more like braised than like grilled. I will also pouch a breast in a mixture of teriyaki and soy diluted with some water to keep it from burning add some seasoning and make a sammie with a slice of pineapple that's really good.

You're a brave man getting lions for brining :D

I’ve had good luck with a brand called Bell and Evans. They are very expensive as far as Chicken goes at $6.99 a pound. However, it’s mosty just me and my wife and with $10 of meat, we get a meal and some chicken to add to a salad. So it’s still way cheaper than eating out. I will say that the Bell and Evans breast’s are a lot smaller than the typical breast you get from the meat market for a couple bucks a pound. When a chicken breast starts to resemble a turkey breast in size, I don’t think it’s fair to assume that it’s going to be quality meat. I can’t imagine what they’ve done to these chickens either through breeding or through chemistry or both, but we won’t buy it any more.

Woody Breast Syndrome???

Never heard of it.

I just grilled 4 pounds of breasts with great results. I eat Sanderson and Smart Chicken.

I've never heard of this either. Very interesting. We've experienced this & didn't realize it was a "thing" - we chocked it up as somehow "over-cooked". In fact, the last chicken breasts we bought were absolutely huge and they were awful.

Thanks to the O. P. for bringing this to light & thanks Bob for the link stating how to spot this problem at the store - pre purchase.

I’m with you Len, I’m really tired of winter!
It’s been a long one to be sure, today it’s raining and with luck, the filthy piles of snow and ice will be gone by the weekend!

I am referring to the OP. Is the original post a joke?!

Uhh…..NO? :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Not sure what's funny about this post. I'm just seeking information from others. Please elaborate on what bemuses you...

Carry on and thanks for the "real" responses. :cool:

Not sure if I ever experienced this. I have noticed that every once in a while one chicken breasts is stringy and tough as nails and another is tender and juicy even though they came out of the same package. I'll look more closely from now on.

Back