Lump in the WSM

Wilson Boudreaux

TVWBB Member
In another forum, someone wrote they read where Weber stated: "Lump should not be used in the WSM".

This is a first I have heard of this statement. So, I ask those who should know.

Has Weber ever made a statement about not using Lump Charcoal in the WSM because of potential damage from high heat caused by the use of Lump...??

I seem to recall reading this many years ago. I looked at the old manuals that Chris has on this site and I did not see anything about what charcoal to use other than not to use lighter fluid impregnated charcoal. The directions do use briquettes to describe how much charcoal to use, but again, I couldn't find a statement that lump is not to be use or one that says only to use briquettes. It might have been on their site at some point. Not sure.

However, MANY people use lump and it will not harm the WSM. Lump does not get any hotter in a smoker than briquettes. Smoking range is typically 300 degrees or so and 300 is 300 no matter the fuel source. Lump may have the potential to burn hotter than briquettes, but that's not typical in barbeque. Further, the WSM can take the heat. It's really difficult to get the WSM into high heat just because of the air flow. But, even if you pull out all the stops the WSM could take the heat from anything you could describe as normal cooking temps.

I only use lump charcoal and sofar there's no problem (I think I bought the WSM 2 years ago)
I also use only the bottom section as a grill and even then, no issues so far.

I much prefer KBB just because it's more predictable, especially doing minion method. I like lump for applications like grilling, and certainly for high heat cooks (even though I still typically use KBB). However, there's nothing wrong with using lump in the WSM.

In another forum, someone wrote they read where Weber stated: "Lump should not be used in the WSM".

This is a first I have heard of this statement. So, I ask those who should know.

Has Weber ever made a statement about not using Lump Charcoal in the WSM because of potential damage from high heat caused by the use of Lump...??

Page 6 of the manual (2018) that came with my new 22 says that lump charcoal is not recommended but not why.

Mark

The manual states:

Remove the lid and center section before lighting the charcoal briquettes. Weber recommends the use of charcoal briquettes (1) with your Weber® Smokey Mountain CookerTM Smoker. Lump charcoal or heat beads are not recommended.

My guess is that since it is only a recommendation, the reason for it is because that is what they believe will provide the best results. Of course best means different things. If they’re trying to ensure you have the most trouble free operating experience, then the “best” may well be briquettes. Remember, this forum is full of people that do things a bit to even a lot different. I’m sure they wouldn’t recommend the minion method or cooking without water. But, none of those things are going to hurt the WSM. Neither is using lump charcoal.

I like smoking at 250 or above, and I cannot get that with Kingsford regular. I switched to lump and haven't looked back, but I do use a single layer of briquets on the grate before adding lump (keeps the small bit from falling through).

The manual states:

Remove the lid and center section before lighting the charcoal briquettes. Weber recommends the use of charcoal briquettes (1) with your Weber® Smokey Mountain CookerTM Smoker. Lump charcoal or heat beads are not recommended.

My guess is that since it is only a recommendation, the reason for it is because that is what they believe will provide the best results. Of course best means different things. If they’re trying to ensure you have the most trouble free operating experience, then the “best” may well be briquettes. Remember, this forum is full of people that do things a bit to even a lot different. I’m sure they wouldn’t recommend the minion method or cooking without water. But, none of those things are going to hurt the WSM. Neither is using lump charcoal.

Exactly
Lump is non uniform, its less predictable
Weber does not sell lump either.

Lump burns hotter i think because it doesnt ash over. This attribute is added to briquettes intentionally to provide consistent heat.

Last edited:
I like smoking at 250 or above, and I cannot get that with Kingsford regular. I switched to lump and haven't looked back, but I do use a single layer of briquets on the grate before adding lump (keeps the small bit from falling through).

Your not starting with enough then.
Getting 400+ is easy with briquettes.

Try a full chimney lit to start. I bet you have no problem to 400

I cooked a pork loin at 400 last friday. I do chicken at 350 too. On briquettes.

Last edited:
yep, just a recommendation. I remember reading about that when I first joined, and the board was split about 50-50 on lump vs briquettes.
I've been using lump since 08 with no issues and my old manual also recommended soaking wood chunks for an hour and using a flavorful liquid like beer or soda in the water pan.
Most would say after the WSM is assembled, use the manual to start your chimney.:wsm:

Tim

Your not starting with enough then.
Getting 400+ is easy with briquettes.

Try a full chimney lit to start. I bet you have no problem to 400

I cooked a pork loin at 400 last friday. I do chicken at 350 too. On briquettes.

I can get higher heat if I let most of the coals ash over, but I could not get much over 225 doing the Minion method with Kingsford regular. The added ash production caused problems too.

I use briquettes, but not regular Kingsford. When I finally use up my stock (in my kettle), I doubt I will buy any more. I mostly use Royal Oak, and I found some Kingsford professional that works well too.

Back