Cuban Adobo

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
STEVEN RAICHLEN

DH has been wanting to make this marinade for some time, but he wanted to make it with SOUR ORANGE JUICE, not lime juice. Well, last Friday he came home from Publix with some sour oranges and made this for a pork tenderloin. We both thought it was very good.

Cuban Adobo

6 to 8 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
2 tsp salt or to taste
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp ground bay leaves
2/3 cup fresh sour orange juice or lime juice

Place the garlic, salt, cumin, oregano, black pepper and bay leaves in a mortar and pestle and mash to a fine paste. Work in the sour orange juice or lime juice. Alternatively, place all the ingredients in a blender and puree. Correct the seasoning, adding salt or cumin to taste.

Store the mixture in a jar in the refrigerator. It will keep for up to a week, but it tastes best when used within a day or two.

Makes about 3/4 cup - enough for 1 1/2 lbs. of meat, chicken or seafood.

Source: "Caribbean Pantry Cookbook" Steven Raichlen

Last edited:
Thanks for this recipe. I need a nudge even now and then to try something new. Raichlen's recipes have always worked well for me.

Hey Joan thanks for another nudge! It's been a very busy month here in the pizza business .... My next project is a small burger dinner tonight and spaghetti, meatballs and sausage for 16 next week. Maybe in Jan.? Hope you enjoy the holidays.

Back