Beer-Boiled Shrimp

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
How can something so easy taste so good. But it does. I have made this recipe 4 times now, and the 5th time is coming up soon. Ohhh, I do love my shrimp. lol

Beer-Boiled Shrimp
serves 6

1 lb. butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 TB salt
5 lbs. large shrimp in shell (21 to 25 per lb.), peeled and deveined
3 (12 fluid oz.) bottles beer

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions, and cook until transparent, about 5 minutes. Mix in the salt and shrimp. Pour the beer over the shrimp, and simmer just until the shrimp turn pink. Turn off the heat, and allow the shrimp to sit at least 1/2 hour. Serve while still warm, or refrigerate and reheat before serving.

Source: allrecipes.com

How can something so easy taste so good. But it does. I have made this recipe 4 times now, and the 5th time is coming up soon. Ohhh, I do love my shrimp. lol

Beer-Boiled Shrimp
serves 6

1 lb. butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 TB salt
5 lbs. large shrimp in shell (21 to 25 per lb.), peeled and deveined
3 (12 fluid oz.) bottles beer

Melt the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir in the onions, and cook until transparent, about 5 minutes. Mix in the salt and shrimp. Pour the beer over the shrimp, and simmer just until the shrimp turn pink. Turn off the heat, and allow the shrimp to sit at least 1/2 hour. Serve while still warm, or refrigerate and reheat before serving.

Source: allrecipes.com

DH made this for me last night. Since I was the only one eating shrimp, he cut the recipe way back. He used 1/4 stick butter, 1/2 yellow onion (I love onion), good pinch of salt, 15 large shrimp, and 1 12 oz. bottle of Land Shark beer. Now I don't know if my taste buds are going or if it was the recipe, but things were off just a little. Maybe it was the beer, or I always use white onion. I don't know, but it just was not as good as before. Guess I will just have to try it again real soon. lol If anyone else makes this, would love to hear your review.

PS I have always cooked the shrimp with shell on, so did DH.

Last edited:
When I lived on the Coast we used to make this all the time as I had a friend that work on a shrimp boat. They couldn't sell the prawns so he give use 5 gallon buckets full. We would always use cheap beer, like Coors or Budweiser, what ever we were eating. Somewhere along the way we switched to Pacifico. As for the onion we cook primarily with Walla Walla sweets. We used to cook Crawdads this way too. I have been known to add old bay, or Zatarian's Crab & Crawfish boil.

When I lived on the Coast we used to make this all the time as I had a friend that work on a shrimp boat. They couldn't sell the prawns so he give use 5 gallon buckets full. We would always use cheap beer, like Coors or Budweiser, what ever we were eating. Somewhere along the way we switched to Pacifico. As for the onion we cook primarily with Walla Walla sweets. We used to cook Crawdads this way too. I have been known to add old bay, or Zatarian's Crab & Crawfish boil.

Hi CaseT, how lucky you were to have a friend like that. This is one of the few shrimp recipes that I use. I usually just wing it most of the time. I like to make my own spice blends. And if it turns out real good, then I say, what the heck did I use to make the spice blend lol.

Tonight is a good night to have this again. Works out great for DH, he wants steak tonight.

Finished up the left over shrimp for lunch today. Really, this is so easy to make and soooo delicious. Can't believe no one has tried it yet, or, if you have, your not telling us what you thought of it. lol

I know the shrimp are not grilled, but you can still put the pot on your grill to boil them. ;)

DH made this for me 4 days ago for dinner. Good thing I had some leftovers. He is having home made stuffed shells and I get SHRIMP !!!

Still no one has tried this recipe?

Dinner last night. Lost track how many times. Got a picture this time tho. lol Had it with Butternut squash and potato salad and 6 more shrimp left over for lunch. Whoopeeee!!!! Oh, and brown butter for dipping. Yes, everything was delicious!!!!! Check the beef thread if you want to know what DH ate last night for dinner.

1630254375533.png

Had the left overs for dinner last night. DH went grocery shopping a little late yesterday, so he bought himself a pizza. I think the next time I have this recipe, I would like to try it with Guinness and more onion. Hopefully that will be soon. Funny how some recipes can become so addictive. lol Do any of you have a recipe like that?

Last edited:
I like steaming my shrimp with Old Bay and then cooking corn on the cob in the broth. If corn is out of season I cook fingerling potatoes in the broth.
Also, if I steam clams I cook corn in the broth.

Back