Silver A Thoughts

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I am going to pick up a Silver A tomorrow. It is an hours drive each way but I am getting for free. It looks pretty decent from what I can see in the photo. While I have shied away from two burner Gennys in the past, I decided to grab this one and give it a shot for rehabbing.

I haven't been real hot on them in the past because I always figured the resale value wasn't there and parts were more scarce. With this one looking pretty intact complete with the bottom wire rack, I figured what the heck. I am not sure what color the lid is.

What do you guys think about rehab prospects for the Two burner Silver A's?

iLOdDun.jpg

Probably not that different than any rehab prospect. Make it look nice and go for high dollar. Good luck!

I have seen a few in ATL short money they start at 50 then go down from there sit around for months then gone what they got for them no idea. Free is good willing to sit on it for awhile good how much in the end hard to say but the quality of your work is a selling point guess the question is what is the sales price in the end.

Yah, I will rehab it unless there is something really wrong with it. If there is, I will just part it out. I figure the work to rehab it is only minimally less than a 3 burner, and that is why have shied away from them as I just figure the selling price won't be close enough to that of a 3 burner. I guess if it doesn't sell for a reasonable price, I will find a donation situation for it.

I was just wondering if someone had some real experience trying to rehab and resell them compared to the Genesis 1000 and Silver B's.

I think that one is worthy of putting it to the test. If you are fortunate, the hood will turn out to be maroon. I think it is a really classy color and not all that common. But even if just black it looks well above average. Maybe try Brian’s paint ideas on the end pieces. I think making them black would bring some additional life to it. I have the remains of a slight newer two burner that I got for free right on this campground. Probably needs too many parts to restore so it may get parted out this summer.

I just got my first gas grill after giving away my 22" One-Touch Premium GBS to my brother (we all make mistakes!)
Since I got a great deal on it, and it was/is still in pretty decent condition, I decided to spend some $$ that I had budgeted for repairs on style.
Basically I removed all the ugly plastics (thermoplast?) and replaced it with some nice hardwood, cleaned it, cleaned the lid some more, and repainted the end caps (and logo).
Really happy with the result, and learned a few things along the way for when I get my hands on a nice 3-burner :)
It really has that premium look and feel to it now, where it was just an old workhorse with the original plastics.
Personally, I like "my" wooden table design more than the official wooden tables.
Only thing left to do now is have the handle laser-engraved, to really make it pop.
In the pics it seems to be too big/heavy (the handle), in reality it looks just fine. (but if I had a tablesaw I would make it a bit thinner).

Bottom line: a classied-up Silver A is still a great grill that looks the part :)
If anyone is interested, I've got plastic handles and table to give away, before I throw them out.

UgNH8V9.jpg

The Silver A is a great little cooker. The photo looks green to me but it's a bad photo. Judging from the tracks, looks like the dog has been doing some grilling on it :D As for turning profits on one I could not tell you as I really have never been a grill flipper. When I want to change out I have always been happy to just get what I have in. So I don't shoot for higher end $$$$.
Anyway they're really nice grills, very much like a B or C model someone put in a dryer. Even the full size rotisserie works on it and works very well

Dave,

Looking at it again, I think you are right. Green wouldn't be bad, either, although I like black hoods just fine. It is good to hear that you were able to sell them successfully. Like Larry says, they have more merit, perhaps than we give them credit for.

I just got my first gas grill after giving away my 22" One-Touch Premium GBS to my brother (we all make mistakes!)
Since I got a great deal on it, and it was/is still in pretty decent condition, I decided to spend some $$ that I had budgeted for repairs on style.
Basically I removed all the ugly plastics (thermoplast?) and replaced it with some nice hardwood, cleaned it, cleaned the lid some more, and repainted the end caps (and logo).
Really happy with the result, and learned a few things along the way for when I get my hands on a nice 3-burner :)
It really has that premium look and feel to it now, where it was just an old workhorse with the original plastics.
Personally, I like "my" wooden table design more than the official wooden tables.
Only thing left to do now is have the handle laser-engraved, to really make it pop.
In the pics it seems to be too big/heavy (the handle), in reality it looks just fine. (but if I had a tablesaw I would make it a bit thinner).

Bottom line: a classied-up Silver A is still a great grill that looks the part :)
If anyone is interested, I've got plastic handles and table to give away, before I throw them out.

UgNH8V9.jpg

Anton: I am picking up a Silver A this evening. The handles looked pretty good on it in the photo, but if not, I will let you know if I need to take you up on that offer. I like your wood replacement idea there.

Lid looks green or black to me. I did three of these last year.
All sold $75 to $100.

Dave, did you do a complete clean up inside with a wire cup brush and angle grinder or just clean it up good? $75-$100 clearly isn't worth a full restore, especially if you have to replace any of the internals.

Hallo Anton. Welgekomen!

I love that custom hardwood side table. It appears stick-built, and you eliminated the z-bar setup? Would LOVE to see more closeups of that side table. Do the boards just "lay" on the frame? It appears that you have it fastened it to the end of the frame tubes with some mechanism, looks like a long bolt (or screw) into the end tubes using a wood plug or the typical threaded metal insert? Very cool.

The Silver's are good grills and parts are still widely available. The cart bar on the left side of the firebox tends to rust which is a big issue. I've found threads on this though I am pretty sure a welder should be able to fix it for less than $100.

I got my first Silver B about 5 years ago in very good shape and I just bought one with a rusted out cart to rehab it. I see them fairly frequently on craigslist here in Chicago from $80-250 depending on condition.

Last edited:
Dave, did you do a complete clean up inside with a wire cup brush and angle grinder or just clean it up good? $75-$100 clearly isn't worth a full restore, especially if you have to replace any of the internals.

No grinder work on either. One was free, and I think the other was $10. Put new cheapo flavorizers in the one for $100.
Otherwise, just a quick detail job, along with razorblade/simple green/steel wool/glass cleaner to the lid.

Dave, that is the kind of plan I was thinking of doing with this grill. Just a good hand cleaning, painting if necessary and some parts replacement. I would like to try it on a nice 3 burner as well to see how much I can get for one without having to grind out the inside. I have a feeling, some people might be willing to go with just a hand cleaned inner box and save $40 bucks or so. And, I would be willing to take $40 less to not have to deal with the hassle and mess. It really lends very little to the functionality of the grill....basically, it just looks better.

OK, I just got back with the Silver A. Some good news and some bad news. The good news is that the grill is in pretty good condition and I might be able to get away with just a new set of Flavorizer bars....maybe $20. The bad news is that I pulled another idiot move and drove off with the thermoset table still on the grill. 75 mph on the interstate and it didn't stand a chance. So, if I had not lost the table, I would definitely be rehabbing it....at least a partial restore. But unless I can find a reasonable deal on a Silver A left hand table, I may just part it out. Several parts will transfer direct to a three burner grill.
The lid is Green...even with my color blind eyes, I can call it green...probably a "Hunters Green". The serial number says it is a 2003 model year.

The burners lit up with the switch but the collector box is basically shot. The burners did well except for a larger yellow flame right at the collector box than I am used to. Bars are OK, but on their last leg. The stamped steel coated grates are in decent shape. It needs a clean out really bad...looks like the guy cooked a lot of stuff with BBQ sauce or something. But the lid looks great. the end caps look really good...probably just clean them up or maybe clean and throw a fresh coat of Rustoleum High heat gloss black on them. The frame looks pretty good except for some minor bubbling at the normal spot where the bolt attaches the cookbox to the frame, but probably not that bad. The wire rack has some surface rust and will need some sanding/wire wheel work and fresh paint.

So, let me know what you think. And if anyone has a spare thermoset table for a Silver A that won't cost me too much, let me know.

RelxlvS.jpg

BPPS5o8.jpg

9KlAH2Q.jpg

Nr8OdhH.jpg

MrUHzFZ.jpg

i2JAvOG.jpg

Bruce I would just put it to the side and wait for another donor grill. They will show up eventually. Unfortunately I don’t have any 2 burner parts either. I have also stayed away from them so far. Mainly because many parts are not interchangeable between 2 and 3 burner grills and I did not want to stock too many spare parts.

Back