Missing Screw - WSM 18.5"

Sam Chambers

Just unboxed my new WSM 18.5" this afternoon, only to find that the screw for the lid handle was not included in the parts box. (This is my second WSM. The first one had the wrong straps, and this one is missing hardware, so Weber isn't exactly batting .1000 here.)

Does anyone know what screw I need, and whether I can get one at my local Big Box store? I know I can call Weber and they'd send me one, but if I can find a suitable screw locally, I won't need to call them.

Thanks!

I don't have a way to measure mine but this link might help if you can trust the description: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00ODDAJM4/tvwb-20

That link is what I have in a replacement handle in the garage.
plastite_screw-5980e613cb4f1.jpg

Trying to find one at a big box store could be rough , maybe Ace or Tru-Value?

Tim

I bet anything that's a plastic or wood screw would work great. It probably doesn't need to be exact, just roughly the same size. The original probably isn't stainless so you can probably get a slight upgrade. We've got a Lowes right across the street from our Home Depot.

Last edited:
If you call Weber they will ship you the screws at no cost

In fact, from a business perspective, it's good for them to know that they shipped a unit with a missing part. Allows them to take corrective action re: how those parts get into the box.

Yeah, other screws may work, but that is on of those screws meant for screwing into plastic. Very wide threads. I think it’s also a little tapered at the end. I know it’s sucks, but I’d get with Weber to get you what you need.

In fact, from a business perspective, it's good for them to know that they shipped a unit with a missing part. Allows them to take corrective action re: how those parts get into the box.

Agreed, Chris. While I could have gone to Home Depot and found a compatible screw, I chose to reach out to Weber via email on Monday. They needed the serial number, which I sent that evening. Tuesday morning I got an email telling me my order had shipped, via FedEx overnight. When I got home on Wednesday evening, the package was waiting for me. They sent not only the screw, but the handle as well!

This is my 3rd Weber product, and my 2nd 18" WSM. My first WSM shipped with the interior brackets for the 22" model, which obviously wouldn't work. They overnighted the correct parts. A year later, my cooking grates started rusting, though I had cared for them following Weber's instructions. They overnighted 2 sets of grates. I thought that may have been a mistake, but when I told them, they said, "Keep them."

While I've experienced some issues with my 2 WSM's Weber's customer service was exceptional, remedying the problems as quickly and completely as one could expect.

While I've experienced some issues with my 2 WSM's Weber's customer service was exceptional, remedying the problems as quickly and completely as one could expect.
These screw-ups are no fun, but glad to hear Weber took good care of you when the problems were brought to their attention.

Smoke On! :wsm:

Back