Genesis 2 is Now Home

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well the Phoenix genesis 2 is now in its new home in Prescott Valley after a five hour 272 mile round trip yesterday.
It is in amazing condition for a 34 year old grill. The chocolate lid is pristine no sun fade, glazing or scratches. The fire box will be an easy clean no built up gunk.
The burners, FBs and grates are believe it or not are original to the grill and in excellent condition. Even the Z brackets are perfect. Goes to show you being in a dry climate and kept out of the hot sun things will last a long time.
The only thing missing was the slide in grease catcher assembly. The guy modified a cookie sheet to replace it. That will be an issue because to get the part that slides into the grill and the bracket and grease catcher will cost me over $100.00, twice what I paid for the grill. The good part is the one from my genesis 2000 and the skyline fit perfectly.
If anyone has one that they could part with for a fair price + shipping I would really appreciate it. I will look for a donor grill, but here and Phoenix there are not many coming up anymore and those that do show up are usually are $100+
Really looking forward to restoring this little jewel.

46415162335_282bdbf52c_z.jpg
[/url]100_4498 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

33454253068_218845ae15_z.jpg
[/url]100_4500 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

46415161475_0e9de9ff48_z.jpg
[/url]100_4503 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

46606872464_8a67b206b4_z.jpg
[/url]100_4504 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

46415160585_023bac4763_z.jpg
[/url]100_4507 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

46606871874_05afb3bc7a_z.jpg
[/url]100_4512 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

46415160195_0a849b60a5_z.jpg
[/url]100_4513 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

46606870814_274efcb447_z.jpg
[/url]100_4517 by Richard Dahl, on Flickr[/IMG]

Rich,

I am just so happy that YOU were able to get this one safely home. Can you send me a picture and the dimensions of the grease tray just to make sure it is a standard 13 bar box tray? I think I can come up with something for you. It will be well used, of course, but better than a cookie sheet;)!

Also, could you send me close ups of your scale and the back of the frame near where the scale lever goes up and down? I think you will find two holes in the back where the very old-style metal gauge popped in with two push-pin holders. If so, after tax season maybe I can help you with that.

Rich,

I am just so happy that YOU were able to get this one safely home. Can you send me a picture and the dimensions of the grease tray just to make sure it is a standard 13 bar box tray? I think I can come up with something for you. It will be well used, of course, but better than a cookie sheet;)!

Also, could you send me close ups of your scale and the back of the frame near where the scale lever goes up and down? I think you will find two holes in the back where the very old-style metal gauge popped in with two push-pin holders. If so, after tax season maybe I can help you with that.

Thanks Jon PM sent.

If Jon can't help you out, I may be able to. Let me know and I will try to find one in my shed. Dimensions would be needed.

I also have a pan if you need it Rich. I got a new one recently, and did not throw out the old one. It isn't perfect, but it is not broken or anything. Just let me know if you want it and I'll ship it out to Arizona. You have helped me immensely in the past with a NG manifold and NG side burner part, I'd be happy to just ship the pan out to you.

Thanks,

Tim

Outstanding acquisition. That's just incredible that the burners, grates and flavorizors are original.

Rich, with your recent struggles, I am glad something rewarding (while in the grand scope of things so minor)
has come your way. Looking forward to your restoration.

I too think I have one of those old style grease trays though perhaps not in the same pristine condition as the grill. It's still buried under snow and ice though if it is still in the yard

That is a great find! I have a couple of old Genesis grills and I have never seen that control panel. How cool!
Can you read the serial number?

That is a great find! I have a couple of old Genesis grills and I have never seen that control panel. How cool!
Can you read the serial number?

Yes I do have the serial number but Weber didn't date code the genesis 1-5 so there is no way I know of to date the grill. I'm going to call Weber tomorrow to see if they can shed any light on it. the previous owner told me he believes it was purchased in 1986 so it could be a 1985 or 86.
I know its a true wide board model because the Z bars only have three holes at each end for the three boards per shelf.

Last edited:
I think the manufacturing date coding began with the Genesis 1000-5000 grills in the early 90's. And even then it wasn't the same system they use today.

I think the manufacturing date coding began with the Genesis 1000-5000 grills in the early 90's. And even then it wasn't the same system they use today.

My dad's old genesis that is my main grill is a 1000 manufactured in 1992. He (my father) also owned a prior model genesis (a 1 or 2) that he sold when he bought the 1000. I would think '85 or '86 is correct.

Yes I do have the serial number but Weber didn't date code the genesis 1-5 so there is no way I know of to date the grill. I'm going to call Weber tomorrow to see if they can shed any light on it. the previous owner told me he believes it was purchased in 1986 so it could be a 1985 or 86.
I know its a true wide board model because the Z bars only have three holes at each end for the three boards per shelf.

Back in the earliest couple of years, could they have just used serial numbers?
I imagine they didn't sell that many at first.
I know that my dad's firebox and another one I have have a casting date of 86. They both have the same control panel, but it is different from the one in your picture. I bet yours is one of the very first ones.

I'll go and get the serial numbers off the ones I have and report back. I'd like to see how it compares to yours.

ETA: Dads grill has serial # L3-0407xx and the older one I bought has serial # L3-0171xx

Gerry

Last edited:
Back in the earliest couple of years, could they have just used serial numbers?
I imagine they didn't sell that many at first.
I know that my dad's firebox and another one I have have a casting date of 86. They both have the same control panel, but it is different from the one in your picture. I bet yours is one of the very first ones.

I'll go and get the serial numbers off the ones I have and report back. I'd like to see how it compares to yours.

ETA: Dads grill has serial # L3-0407xx and the older one I bought has serial # L3-0171xx

Gerry

The one I just bought is L3-0102xx

That's an oldie! One of the first 10,300. Probably an '85. Is there a casting date on the firebox? On mine it's on the bottom front and center. There's a protrusion with a two number date. You have to slide the grease tray out and look up from underneath to see it. The end caps of the lid may have a casting date too.

Gerry

That's an oldie! One of the first 10,300. Probably an '85. Is there a casting date on the firebox? On mine it's on the bottom front and center. There's a protrusion with a two number date. You have to slide the grease tray out and look up from underneath to see it. The end caps of the lid may have a casting date too.

Gerry

No casting marks on this one, I was hoping it did have them so I could tell it's age.

Back