Tequila-Marinated Ham Steaks

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
WEBER-Oh how things get pushed aside and forgotten. We made this recipe back in Aug. 2011. I made this notation. "Definitely will be making this again. It was soooo good!!!!!" Almost 8 years later, here I am, just finding it. It sounds like another good one to share with you all.

Tequila-Marinated Ham Steaks
serves 4 to 6

Marinade:

1/2 cup tequila
1 TB fresh lime juice
1 cup fresh orange juice
3 TB light brown sugar, divided
2 tsp ground cumin
1 jalapeno chile pepper, cut into 1/8" slices

2 bone-in ham steaks, about 1 lb each

To make the marinade: In a small bowl, combine all ingredients, except 1 TB brown sugar and stir until the sugar is dissolved.

Marinate ham for 4 to 6 hours, turning the steaks once. Bring ham to room temp. for 20 to 30 minutes before grilling.

Remove the steaks and jalapenos from the marinade and reserve the marinade. Pour the marinade and a few slices of jalapeno into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for 1 minute. Set aside 1/2 cup of marinade for basting the ham. To the remaining liquid, add the 1 TB of brown sugar. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the liquid until it has reduced to about 1/3 cup, about 5 minutes.

Make small cuts through the fat every 2 to 3" around the ham. Grill over direct medium heat until the ham is nicely marked and crispy on the edges, about 12 minutes, turning once. Brush with marinade after turning.

Source: Weber's Real Grilling

Last edited:
Thought we would try this again tonight for dinner. Something was different tonight. And then, it just might be me, but it wasn't as good tonight as in the past. DH still enjoyed it though.

Happens all the time. Sometimes it is just your tastebuds seeing something not for the first time. All the other times, it was my fault.

Back