First Spatchcock Chicken

Eric Work

Hi Everyone-

I am planning on cooking on my new 22.5 WSM tomorrow for the first time. I'm planning on a Spatchcock Chicken, mostly because its a reasonably short cook time to get my feet wet. I was planning on doing this recipe: https://heygrillhey.com/spatchcock-smoked-chicken-cherry-chipotle-bbq-sauce/

However, this calls for smoking the chicken at 225, and most of the feedback i've read on chicken says to cook closer to 325-350. So now i'm thinking about ditching this recipe, rubbing the chicken, cooking at 325-350 and then painting with regular BBQ sauce. Does this sound like the best way to go?

Many Thanks for the Feedback

-Eric

Eric,
You could do either one - 225 will take longer to get the chicken to temperature while 350 will cook it faster and will be more likely to give you crispier skin. You can add wood either on either method to get a slight addition of smoke (easy to over smoke chicken). Personally, I do chicken over high heat because I don't see a point in cooking at a low temperature since there's not fat or connective tissue to break down. Also, to me the consistency of chicken skin on a low and slow bird is inedible. I also put my chicken in the fridge, uncovered, for several hours to dry out the skin. For me this helps get the skin a little more crispy.

Todd

Thanks for the feedback....I'm getting super ambitious and doing Ribs and Chicken tomorrow, so probably gonna try the low and slow...hopefully it comes out great...I'll post the results...cheers!

You know, in the end I did the spathcock chicken on the Genesis cause I did 3 racks of ribs on the WSM. I pretty much followed the recipe from above, but instead cooked on indirect heat 350-400 on the grill for about an hour....turned out really good, very moist and crispy, but not burned skin.

Back