ABC Slow n Sear Deluxe Kamado!

I'm a fan of the slow n sear because I think it solves some problems with the kettle, or at least makes some things more convenient. The idea of this, I guess is interesting, but a Kamado is kind of it's own thing. It's an attempt to solve some of the problems of a kamado. I'm not going to ever either have unless something drastic changes in my income.

Yeah, I would say it has a lot of merit. The ceramic will most likely outlast the Summit's metal walls - that is unless you drop it:(!

FWIW, I was given a Green Egg (large which is actually kind of SMALL - about the size of an 18 inch kettle). I do like it's ability to control temperatures and still think it is the best choice from my arsenal for when I am doing pork shoulders. I applaud Slow N Sear for doing the right thing by bringing out a larger, more versatile 22 inch kamado - "XL" in Green Egg sizes (and for which you need an XL wallet:rolleyes:!)

That being said, as long as you are willing to invest more time and effort when you barbecue, you can save yourself a lot and have more grilling space with a regular 26" Weber kettle augmented with a Slow N Sear, Killa Grilla high quality 304 stainless grates, and a Thermoworks Smoke - or Signals if you want to go all out. All of that together would still cost a lot less than this new kamado or the Summit, and in my opinion the trade-off of higher work would be worth the extra features this combination brings - while offering more space than even the Summit.

Last edited:
That being said, as long as you are willing to invest more time and effort when you barbecue, you can save yourself a lot and have more grilling space with a regular 26" Weber kettle augmented with a Slow N Sear, Killa Grilla high quality 304 stainless grates, and a Thermoworks Smoke - or Signals if you want to go all out. All of that together would still cost a lot less than this new kamado or the Summit, and in my opinion the trade-off of higher work would be worth the extra features this combination brings - while offering more space than even the Summit.

Yes, I agree with you Jon. I do have a 26" kettle and am looking to get the XL Slow n Sear for it. I do have a SnS for the 22" kettle though...what are your thoughts on using that one in the 26"? I know the grates for the 26" are stainless steel so I'm good for now in that area.

An interesting product. One big difference is the ABC is only a 22” grill where as the WSCG is 24”, which is actually a bigger difference than you might expect.

Regarding the application of the rest of the ABC line up of (SnS etc), I have been considering those products for use in my WSCG for a couple years now. I have read the claims of the products and reviews on many sites. I haven’t seen any reviews or answers to follow up questions (I have followed up with WSCG owners who also own the SnS low profile) that explain to me what value the ABC products bring to a Kamado. The only thing of value, that I have come across, is that it gets the coals closer to the cooking grate. The WSCG already solves this problem with a cooking grate that can be raised or lowered.

Now don’t get me wrong, the owners of the SnS say they enjoy it for some level of conveniences, but no one says it cooks better or they can now do something their WSCG couldn’t do before.

Anyway, I haven’t been convinced that the ABC product line is worth the cost for my WSCG, not sure how it would add any more value to their new Kamado.

Last edited:

Back