Chimney Of Insanity

Ive just been using mapp torch on my wsm recently.
Light a couple spots, set heatermeter, wait .

I think it's interesting but I wonder how it compares in capacity to the Weber one. I would guess it holds less charcoal.

Why the hurry ?
Exactly, there are important things to do while the fire gets ready.

You have to have time to collect your appropriate beverages and, test for quality, while the fire starts.
Sometimes you have to test more than once!

Last edited:
Anyone seen this?...

I have and use it everyday. It dooes work as advertised, its important for folks like me with day job n Kids . need to fire the grill quickly ready and make something in time for them, Also the pleasure of being in FL where you can do year round grilling some of these quick starting helps alot.
Also since it starts the coal faster (combined with Fan), less initial wastage of coal as fire reaches on top of the chimney faster.

Exactly, there are important things to do while the fire gets ready.

Good point, but I have seen times when I needed a quicker fire, and sometimes used coals can take longer to ignite (depending on how many are in the chimney), and a blower / chimney combo could be of help in that regard.

Wow, 2+ minutes and the coals are ready, it would be great in a pinch, but not used very much.
Thats what the gas assist Performers are for.:D

Has anybody tried this? You put the cardboard tube from a empty roll of paper towel in the chimney, fill the chimney with charcoal around the tube, and light it using your method.
It acts like a air vent and gets the coals going a bit faster than without it.

I use the time waiting for the charcoal to be ready to wind down and have a few adult beverages.

Cheers

Has anybody tried this? You put the cardboard tube from a empty roll of paper towel in the chimney, fill the chimney with charcoal around the tube, and light it using your method. It acts like a air vent and gets the coals going a bit faster than without it.

You put the tube in the middle of the chimney?

I must try this next time.

I definitely think this would be a great tool to have when waking up at 0500 or 0600 to start a Boston Butt. Also, my job dictates that by the time I get home, my wife and sons have been waiting to eat for quite a while. Sitting down to eat 20-/- minutes sooner would be a very good thing!! Now, on a weekend afternoon or evening when I’ve got plenty of time to test, adjust, test and prepare for quality control with some music and a well stocked cooler, this isn’t the tool for the job. But to add it as another tool in the arsenal (depending on the price of course) could be a real time saver.
Tim

Back