Weber Char Q - anyone have one?

Sam Bee

TVWBB All-Star
Hello...so I may have a chance to pick up a Weber Char Q (NIB) for $50. Anyone out there have one? What do you think about it? If I pick it up then I'll mostly use it for camping/tailgating and for doing yakitori/kebab cooking.

I have some Q's (1200, 2200, 3200) but no Char Q's. I love my Q's (well, I've yet to assemble the 3200). If I don't need the extra real estate I can get higher temps on the 1200 than what I can achieve on the 2200.

Haven't seen one in person. I think these are probably very decent, like all Q grills, but maybe more as a collector curiosity. I would be more inclined to use a Jumbo Joe for semi-portable charcoal grilling.

They may have been an answer to a question not many were asking because although the Qs have been very successful, the Char-Q didn't last.

Sam, I love my Q-200, and pretty much love all the Q models. I have considered it my quest to find a char-q as they are somewhat of a unicorn around here. One became available about 2years ago, but I just couldn’t pull the trigger on their asking price, (which if I remember correctly was quite a bit higher than the q you’re looking at) so I didn’t get it. If I had the chance, I would be all over that Char Q!! But again, I have just found a love for the entire Q line as they seem to be the lesser known of the Weber family. Good luck, let us know if you get the charQ as I’m sure a lot of people will have questions about it.
Tim

Well, the item is gone now. Either someone here on the board got it (which I hope) or they finally took the ad down because it was posted over a week ago. I was 50/50 on it so not a loss on my end. Thanks all for your comments.

I agree that die-hard Weber fans/collectors would be interested in these - that's probably why I have noticed the couple I have seen for sale over the last few years. But, I still am a little dubious that this was that great of a charcoal grill. I have never used one, though, so I could be wrong. I know I can't justify any more "collectibles" right now, so I haven't been willing to drive a long ways to get one that would probably only get looked at.

I kind of remember this model. The old “serious dealership” has closed and I can’t go ask Tom if he remembers it. I miss that store! It was the first place I saw a Genesis (1st gen) gas grill and was pitched by the “senior” family member of the family owned store. One of the last stores you could walk in get the part,you needed and spend a DIME for it!

Back