Weber kettle with wood side tables

Ed L

TVWBB Fan
I picked up a older kettle with wooden side tables.

The metal wraps around the kettle and there are wood slats on each side.

I searched here and the Weber kettle club and could not find a pic.

I can email someone a pic to post. PM me. I don’t have time to waste posting pic somewhere else and linking a pic.

Thanks

Ed

I agreed to post the picture Ed L had of his unusual Weber kettle with wood slat side tables.

2vMBaBY.jpg

My take is that the tables were from some other brand 22 inch kettle that someone decided to graft onto their Weber kettle, but I am not an authority. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks Jon, Ed sent me the picture too but, I have no proclivity for attaching pictures.
I think you’re right, it’s a marriage of a couple of grills. The mounting bracket that is visible it bright shiny steel (can’t tell of its stainless or just newer) and looks like it’s through bolted. I have a gnawing feeling that at one point in time Weber did indeed make that style table. Just not original to this grill.
It was the predecessor to Rich Dahl’s “Platypus”!

It looks like it's ready for take-off!
All kidding aside, that's a neat, clean install - better than Weber's side table that hung off the edge of the grill. The only downside is, where do you put the lid?

I have that same wooden table. IIRC, I purchased it in approx 1998 at a weber dealer on Cape Cod. Do not recall the brand, but it is/was a good quality product - the wood was originally redwood and very similar to the handles on the Weber grills at the time, and it may well have been made by Weber. There are 4 clips that hook under the rolled edge of the bottom of the kettle and bolt to the table assembly. That is the shiny metal parts noted above. This was my primary grill until 2015 or so. It stayed outside pretty much constantly. At this point, it is in the garage waiting for me to cut new boards for it. As another pointed out, one minor downside is that the lid does not store on the kettle any more.

Probably be a market for tables like these if someone would start making them again.

Thanks Kirk, that would account for the clips looking so shiny, probably replacements?
I can see the downside of lid storage but, I think there might be a solution found...

Thanks Jon, Ed sent me the picture too but, I have no proclivity for attaching pictures.
I think you’re right, it’s a marriage of a couple of grills. The mounting bracket that is visible it bright shiny steel (can’t tell of its stainless or just newer) and looks like it’s through bolted. I have a gnawing feeling that at one point in time Weber did indeed make that style table. Just not original to this grill.
It was the predecessor to Rich Dahl’s “Platypus”!

Timothy,

This configuration really is just like the old Platinum One Touch/"Rich's Platypus" grill! That one was a commercial failure so maybe that is why this - what appears to be an add-on product - never made it very big. I have the Platinum One Touch as well, and it is a personal favorite. I searched for one for a good while. But, I can see the downside as far as storage. At least the modern one does give you a solution for the lid. The handle is on the front and the lid just drops back into a slide aside type holder. I like having room for both my Thermoworks Smoke and food trays on the other side - all while taking up less space than a Peformer.

This one with the wood is pretty classy, though, and would look really awesome with refinishing.

Jon. Thanks for posting that. I will try to get more soon.

I I’m pretty sure the mounting clips are as Kirk mentioned.

I’m pretty sure the kettle lived up here in the Sierras most of its life and with dry air things don’t always rust real fast.

I also gave it a quick clean when I got it home last fall. It’s currently in the corner of storage and not accessible. Plus I have a couple of genesis gassers that I need to get ready for a flip.

As soon as I get the slats done on this I’ll send pics to post.

Ed,

It does really remind me of my Platinum One Touch:

ux2DWTK.jpg

The wood tables are a lot classier, though:D

Jon. You you could take those tables off and replace with wood!

Sent you pics of the mounting tabs.

Here's my kettle premium with side tables...

0V0PYKw.jpg

They are called the BBQ Dragon Wing grill tables and so far I like them a lot because they can be folded when taken off and stored inside of the kettle when not in use. I wish they made something like this for the 26" kettle.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B06X9G3V63/tvwb-20

That is a really nice set-up. Lets you have the advantages of my Platinum One Touch without the space and special cover challenges that come with it.

Back