New Kettle Owner

AndyC

TVWBB Member
Hi Folks,

I'm Andy, I'm 52, and I've never owned a Weber Kettle...until, technically, today, although it's not in my grubby little hands just yet.

I've used el-cheapo charcoal grills in my youth. When I had kids, I moved to a gas grill, and while I still have one on the deck, now that my youngest is a HS junior, I bought a WSM on a lark and rediscovered charcoal last fall, and then a month later, a Jumbo Joe to leverage the size similarities for reverse searing (and grate cleanup!). Today I ordered one of the premium original 22" redheads.

It should be here in a few days. Is there anything special I should know before I start monkeying around? From what I've googled, it looks like there won't be a cover in this like there was in the WSM....but I'm not positive? Also when I get one (either included or otherwise) will I need to seam-seal it like I needed to do on the WSM cover?

If I try to install a WSM silicone grommet for thermometer wires, am I likely to ultimately regret it?

Thanks ahead!!!

Hold off on the grommet until you determine you actually need one. I normally just use an instant read thermometer when using my kettle. If you do a lot of low and slow cooking on it, you might want one, but the WSM is more convenient for that most of the time. It isn't too much of a hassle to run wires through the top vent if needed.

If you don't have one already, get a charcoal chimney starter. That is all you really need to get started.

With respect to grommet, I would hold off. I rarely use probes when using the kettle and when I do I've run the wires right under the lid without incident.

I have Weber cover #7149 and have not had any issues.

Chimney starter would be very convenient and I also like the charcoal baskets.

The kettle has a different design than a WSM. Kettle lid sits over the base, while the WSM lid sits inside.
Kettle sheds water more easily then a WSM so I wouldn't worry to much on sealing the cover.
I hope you enjoy your purchase, when I got mine I did a little happy dance and saluted the fire.:)
Tim

Yes, on the baskets too! I think the kettle came with “stock” baskets but, go ahead and order a set of the 304 heavy baskets! I use mine constantly!

Thanks, guys! Much appreciate the sage advice! So it sounds like, when it arrives tomorrow, I'll just enjoy it 'stock' until such a time if/when I see an actual need for a mod. :) How about seasoning? Needed, not needed before cooking? Make the first cook something 'easy?" Season while cooking with something particularly fatty?

Thanks again!

I would run a chimney of lit coals with lid on to burn off any manufacturing residue - the fuel grate comes with oil on it to stop it rusting in the box.
I don't think a kettle needs seasoning like a WSM might.

Back