Finishing wrapped brisket in smoker vs oven

Brian Lee

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone noted any differences in their brisket when finishing in the oven?

I usually wrap in pink butcher paper at around 170F and then finish on the smoker until probe tender, around the 200-205F mark. But this time I'd like to put some ribs and sausage on the top grate while the wrapped brisket finishes in the oven. I figure at this point the wrapped brisket is no longer acquiring anymore smoke flavor and just needs to plow through the stall for the next few hours while sitting in my oven set to 250F.

Or should I just put the wrapped brisket on the top grate (and ribs and sausage on the bottom grate) and make sure the temps don't spike when I add more wood chunks and unlit coals.

I'll be doing the cook this Saturday, so the outside temp will be mid 30s / low 40s. I have the 18.5 WSM, cook with a covered water bowl, and will run the smoker at 250F throughout. And will be cooking a 12 lb prime brisket I found at my local Costco this past weekend ($3.29/lb). I live in southwestern CT and I've never seen whole briskets in my Milford store, so couldn't pass up this opportunity :D

I usually try to finish on the smoker as my wife usually needs the oven, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. You are correct in that it probably isn't getting any more smoke flavor, especially after the paper gets saturated with grease. The theory is that you'll still get some though the paper, but that's debatable.

Actual temps dont matter much except for time. 250 and 300 arent much different otherwise. If it spikes to 300, let it run at 300.

Id just put the other items in to be done at same time-ish personally. I let meaty ribs (3racks) go 2-2.5 hrs at 300 in rack, before wrapping them for another hr to get to 200+.

Could put brisket on lower rack, and cook so it takes longer. Move to top after take ribs off

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys. I'm leaning towards using my kitchen oven for finishing the brisket. It will be one less thing to worry about since I know the temp will be a steady 250F. Will post a follow-up note and pics after the cook.

I havn't done that many briskets,but every one I have done I put in the oven after wrapping. They come out great,and I'll probably keep on doing them that way. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

I havn't done that many briskets,but every one I have done I put in the oven after wrapping. They come out great,and I'll probably keep on doing them that way. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

To each their own.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with finishing something in an oven.
But I kind of think of my smoker as an oven as well.....
That's all it is.
Charcoal fueled oven.
I simply don't see the need.
The temperature doesn't even matter you're looking for the temperature of the meat when it gets there ,it gets there. Any temperature from 250 to 300 is indistinguishable in results.

Get them both in there, pull out whichever one is done first.

Last edited:
To each their own.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with finishing something in an oven.
But I kind of think of my smoker as an oven as well.....
That's all it is.
Charcoal fueled oven.
I simply don't see the need.
The temperature doesn't even matter you're looking for the temperature of the meat when it gets there ,it gets there. Any temperature from 250 to 300 is indistinguishable in results.

Get them both in there, pull out whichever one is done first.

Since you are tight on space, I'd finish in the oven for sure. Normally, I'd leave it to finish in the smoker if that was the only thing I was cooking. Seems a waste to just let the fuel go if there's enough to finish it. From a cost perspective, it is much, much cheaper to finish in the oven. And it is cold outside, real cold. It is just easier to stay inside the house as much as possible.

Brian, there's nothing wrong with finishing in the oven once you've wrapped a brisket or butt. In the case you're describing, it makes perfect sense as well.

BD

Though nothing wrong with finishing in the oven (heat is heat), I’ve always cooked start to finish on the WSM.

Yea, depending on the weather I like to finish outside, but once wrapped heat is heat and I would rather shut down the WSM and use the fuel next time, again that depends on the weather, or timing or BS weather.....

Tim

Brian, there's nothing wrong with finishing in the oven once you've wrapped a brisket or butt. In the case you're describing, it makes perfect sense as well.

BD

I agree - the only side effect is heating up the house & making it smell more like BBQ - both good things in the winter imo.

I agree - the only side effect is heating up the house & making it smell more like BBQ - both good things in the winter imo.

It turned out to be a nice sunny day today here in CT so I ended doing the entire cook in the smoker as I was able fit one rack of baby backs on the top grate next to the brisket and put two kielbasa on the bottom rack.

Here's the finished brisket after 8 hours. Rub was just S&P:
Texas trinity 03-09-19 by BRIAN LEE, on Flickr

Here are the three meats before slicing (brisket, kielbasa and baby backs):

And here's the sliced brisket:

The flat was a bit lean while the point had excellent burnt ends. The flavor was very good as this was a Costco prime brisket. My only comment is there was a lot of fat that needed to be trimmed before cooking. What started out as a 12 lb untrimmed brisket ended up at 8 lbs after trimming away approximately 4 lbs of fat.

Back