Revisiting one of the first recipes

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Tonight even though it’s cold as a Montana welldiggers backside,as an old friends dad used to say,
I’m firing the kettle to modify one of the first roast chicken recipes I ever did.
It’s from the “Graham Kerr Cookbook” from back in the ‘70’s.
Tonight,
5.45 lb. chicken
Small onion
6-8 whole cloves
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Ground ginger
Splash of brandy (“as you close the oven door”)

Stud the onion with the cloves, put that in the cavity, a small onion works best.
I use a “Misto” to lightly spray the bird and then salt and pepper following with a dusting of ground ginger and rub it in.
Simple indirect method, 13 minutes per pound. Roughly an hour and a half but, it’s only about ten degrees, I may need to let things roll a few extra minutes.

A fennel romaine salad will be the side. I need to seriously watch carbs again, I’ve been slacking off my low carb diet, bad boy!

Give the 18-6 diet a try. 12 lb in 4 wk now for me :) and really, you eat whatever you want in that 6 hr window.

Diabetes does not really align itself with that. I’m not worried about weight (well, not too much) but, I simply need to mind carbs.

The chicken turned out beautifully!
I put the brandy in me rather than the bird!
Simple recipe, nice salad.
Numbers good this morning!

Tonight even though it’s cold as a Montana welldiggers backside,as an old friends dad used to say,
I’m firing the kettle to modify one of the first roast chicken recipes I ever did.
It’s from the “Graham Kerr Cookbook” from back in the ‘70’s.
Tonight,
5.45 lb. chicken
Small onion
6-8 whole cloves
Olive oil
Salt and pepper
Ground ginger
Splash of brandy (“as you close the oven door”)

Stud the onion with the cloves, put that in the cavity, a small onion works best.
I use a “Misto” to lightly spray the bird and then salt and pepper following with a dusting of ground ginger and rub it in.
Simple indirect method, 13 minutes per pound. Roughly an hour and a half but, it’s only about ten degrees, I may need to let things roll a few extra minutes.

A fennel romaine salad will be the side. I need to seriously watch carbs again, I’ve been slacking off my low carb diet, bad boy!

Hi Timothy, I just wanted to thank you for bring back old memories. I have his "The Complete Galloping Gourmet Cookbook" pub. 1972, that I haven't touched in years. It's going to be fun going through it. You wouldn't by any chance have the name of the recipe you posted?

Joan, I actually gifted that book to my granddaughter when she exhibited talent for cooking a few years ago.
It was called “Roast Ginger Chicken” if memory serves.
I have made it for so long, for so many friends, taught it to so many. I don’t much need to think about how to do it. It’s a wonderful recipe!
It was one of the recipes pictured on the back cover, and one done as a “basics” pictorial across a couple of pages. That book made me understand that simple recipes work best with the freshest ingredients available!
Oh, he liberally applied his signature “clarified buttah” to the bird where I simply sprayed with olive oil.

Back