Pickled smoker fried chicken

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
I didin't smoker fry this time around. All the smokers or access to the smokers are blocked by snow. So this was done in the oven. Safeway had legs and thighs on sale for $0.88/# so I picked up a package of each. Froze the thighs and half the legs. We had just finished a jar of pickles. I decided that the 8 legs would go for a swim in the pickle juice. I put them in a vac bag, pulsed out some of the air and sealed them. I did a 18 hour soak.
Yesterday I pulled them from the brine and let them air dry a bit while I prepped the oven and dredge.

Preheat oven (12") and cast iron skillet with 1/3 cup Crisco to 425°. If doing this in smoker get smoker as hot as you can. I can get the WSM up to 400°+

While that is happening make up a seasoned dredge. I keep it pretty simple and you can use whatever spices you like. I used garlic, onion, cracked black pepper, and Hungarian smoked paprika. I did not add salt since the pickle brine contains enough. I eye ball the spices probably a teaspoon - teaspoon +1/2 of each. Mix spices with 1/4-1/3 cup flour. This is enough to do 8-12 legs. I had 8. I place the dredge in a large Ziploc and add the chicken and shake. usually I can get all 8 legs in at once.

Once the oven, pan , and Crisco has heated, shake chicken off to remove loose dredge and place into skillet. Bake for 30 minutes. Flip chicken bake for another 15-20 minutes.

Remove from pan onto paper towels , serve.

40314955233_1a1c97a221_c.jpg

Looks good, how did it taste after being in the pickle brine?

Rich the chicken tastes great. I like to do this with pork chops too. You do get a very distinct but subtle pickle flavor under the other spices. The meat also turns out nice and tender. Next time you get down to the bottom of a pickle jar (which for us happens two-three times a month) give it a try. Works good with other cuts of chicken too, not just legs.

Well, I love chicken and I love pickles. Your plated picture convinced me I might like it. Good looking bird there Case.

Rich the chicken tastes great. I like to do this with pork chops too. You do get a very distinct but subtle pickle flavor under the other spices. The meat also turns out nice and tender. Next time you get down to the bottom of a pickle jar (which for us happens two-three times a month) give it a try. Works good with other cuts of chicken too, not just legs.

Interesting will have to give that a try.

That looks really good Case.

We are going to be up in your part of the country next week. Tri-cities in Washington, then Seattle, and then Lake Oswego, Oregon.

Yup.
Chickfila marinate their chicken breasts in pickle juice.... Or so I hear.
One of these days I'm going to get around to trying it myself.

I've never considered pickle in a brine before this post, I wonder if it adds a similar flavor as Dill Weed - I love dill weed.

That looks really good Case.

We are going to be up in your part of the country next week. Tri-cities in Washington, then Seattle, and then Lake Oswego, Oregon.

Thank you! Safe travels! Hopefully I'll be coast bound the 22nd, that's if I can get my trailer out of the snow!

I've never considered pickle in a brine before this post, I wonder if it adds a similar flavor as Dill Weed - I love dill weed.

Clint, Yes you get a great dill flavor from the brine. Very tasty and good on pork too.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, that’s another fine pickle you’ve gotten me into Case!
To paraphrase Oliver Hardy!

Good stuff give it a try!

Yup.
Chickfila marinate their chicken breasts in pickle juice.... Or so I hear.
One of these days I'm going to get around to trying it myself.

Yep They do marinate their chicken in pickle brine. The origin though predates Chick Fil A

Case, that's some great looking chicken. Rich and I will be trying that in the near future, thanks for sharing it with us.

Back