Garlic pork

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
If you are a vinegar lover, this recipe is for you. We had it last night for dinner. DH calls it "Pucker Power Pork". lol My favorite snack is Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips, so I really enjoyed the pork. The recipe says to deep fry, but I'm sure you grillers will figure out a way. lol

GARLIC PORK (serves 8)

1/4 lb. garlic, chopped (about 2 bulbs)
1 tsp dried thyme
Salt and freshly ground pepper
4 lbs. boneless pork leg or shoulder (butt)
1 TB lime juice
2 cups white vinegar
vegetable oil for frying

Mix the garlic and thyme together in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.

Wash the pork well with the lime juice and dice into small cubes. Place the pork in a large saucepan, cover with water, and parboil for about 30 minutes. Remove the pork, drain, and discard the water. Rub the garlic mixture over the pork. Place the cubed pork in a large jar or casserole and pour on the vinegar to cover. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 2 days.

Remove from container, drain, and pat dry with paper towels. Heat the oil in a deep fryer or tall saucepan and deep fry the meat until tender, about 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve hot as a main course with rice and vegetables or as a snack or appetizer.

Source: "Island Cooking" cookbook - by D. A. Harris

Ooooooohhhhh I'll have to go on a search, good idea Len. If you come up with any good sauces, let me know. DH just came home from Publix. And I just ruined my appetite for tonights dinner with Salt and Vinegar Potato Chips. Bad me. lol

I just read the recipe for tonight. I forgot what it was. "Stacked Rib Eye Burgers with HORSERADISH SAUCE & Cheddar" from Rachael Ray. Mmmmmm. The sauce would have gone real good with last nights dinner. Darn.

One of our favorite oven roasts, is pork loin with garlic pieces inserted, and garlic encrusted .,its a good combo. It's not possible to have too much garlic!

One of our favorite oven roasts, is pork loin with garlic pieces inserted, and garlic encrusted .,its a good combo. It's not possible to have too much garlic!

When it's roasted, it is very mild so "never too much" is right. In fact, I've got a hummus recipe that uses 40 (roasted) cloves mixed with one (equivalent) 19 oz can of chickpeas. Heavenly.

I also make "normal" hummus that by mistake I used 2 (not 1) cloves of raw garlic. Quite overpowering (till it mellowed).

DH made this for dinner tonight. It was DELICIOUS!!!!! Can't believe we waited soo long to have this again.

Back