Pok Pok Charcoal

PDay

TVWBB Fan
Hi, has anyone tried grilling with Pot Pok Thai style charcoal? I ordered some from Amazon as a test and finally used it last weekend. It took a while to light but once it did it was fantastic. It stayed hot for much longer than lump charcoal and didn't't produce the smoke like direct grilling over briquettes can. Would thoroughly recommend it.

I have a box I bought last year, not tested yet. I like the idea of it’s longer burn time for an extended cook, I’m thinking for a multi course appetizer party?

I used it on my Go Anywhere as it is a nice fit on the charcoal grate and as I was only cooking a small amount I thought it would be a good opportunity. After grilling my few items (about 20 minutes) I left the vents open to see how long it would keep the heat up for. Well - a few hours at least. Will definitely be buying more as I have a baby shower to grill for in July and I think that this will definitely do the trick

Oh yeah, Its great stuff! I need to order another box. I've used it in my 14.5 WSM and my lodge sportsman. My only complaint is that I can't get it locally.

The guy that did the YouTube “test” on the new (European only) kettle with the heat diffuser used Pok Pok, I think?
I still have not cracked my box of the stuff, have not pulled the Go Anywhere out of the box yet. I’m such a slacker!
The GA isn’t big enough for my projects for 6. And it’s too deep in the garage right now, you know, winter storage...
The size of the stuff makes me see it’s perfect on the GA for a long afternoons appetizer party on small skewers afterall, it was designed for yakitori cookery. Making up a couple of sheet pans of skewers and dropping a load on when people show up for a picking party!
I think that might be the John Wayne party this year.

If case was within fifty miles we would have become good pals, I’d break scales and my doctor would hate me but, I could die a happy chewing machine!!

Last edited:

Back