Too Much Smoke - Round 2

Charles Howse

TVWBB Wizard
It's a BEAUTIFUL day here in West Tennessee!!
Today's cook was dual purpose - put food on the table, and find out why my turkeys are so dark, almost black when done.

I think I may have it figured out. Take a look at the pictures and see for yourself. They're in numerical order, and the cooklog is there too.
Turn on the 'Details' to see my comments.

goo.gl/yatNHX

That’s about where mine look but, I don’t spatchcock them. Looked that way for thirty odd years.

Cold as Minnesota here in West Michigan!

That’s about where mine look but, I don’t spatchcock them. Looked that way for thirty odd years.

Cold as Minnesota here in West Michigan!

The color AFTER I scraped off the gunk is perfectly acceptable. I believe the gunk is the Tony Chachere's seasoning that has gotten too hot and burnt.
Next step, change or eliminate the rub. SPG might work, eh?

I think it would. I wonder what was up with The Tony's. I love that stuff but I don't really use it for BBQ. It's very salty and I kind of just use it as a seasoned salt or to add some zip to Gumbo or whatever. It's got a lot of powdery stuff, though. Maybe that's what's burning.

I think it would. I wonder what was up with The Tony's. I love that stuff but I don't really use it for BBQ. It's very salty and I kind of just use it as a seasoned salt or to add some zip to Gumbo or whatever. It's got a lot of powdery stuff, though. Maybe that's what's burning.

I don't claim that I monitored the temps perfectly, I let it get too high near the end, but I've never seen any cook turn out like that. Strange, won't happen again. We love smoked turkey, and I've been fast and loose with the method.
I'll do better next time. :D

I try to keep mine basis, a brine over night or so , S&P with light wood oak apple, the color i get is a meduim brown with great smoke flavor.

Back