LarryS Genesis Platinum C resto-mod thread

LarryS

TVWBB Member
After having hijacked Sam Bee's thread on his restoration, I figured I better start my own.

I bought this grill new sometime around when they first came out. Performance and looks have degraded as of late and I was thinking about getting one of the new Genesis models. During some googling on the differences between the new models I stumbled upon this site. The obsession folks here have with this grill seduced me into deciding to refurb the one I have rather than getting a new one. The fact that I'm a sucker for doing this kind of stuff helped of course....

So I got Weber to send me a new hood under warrantee (see my rusted out one below). Unfortunately it's a black one instead of a stainless one. Lots of good dialogue on Sam's thread about which is better. I am still liking the looks of the all stainless, so later in the restoration I'll make the call.

I bought new burners from Weber, a new regulator and igniter, and a set of rcplanebuyer's 9mm stainless rod grates. Holy cow are those suckers heavy!

8Lvfa6t.jpg

So here's some "before" pictures.....

Hood and grates:

wM9lECR.jpg

Left and Right shelves and control panel:

ag1LaTw.jpg

IPSzhnF.jpg

Inside and outside of the doors:

sNoId2o.jpg

kBXhXqL.jpg

6fYEJEu.jpg

From the rear:

tGcxBXH.jpg

Getting close to the max number of images that can be posted, so to be continued.....

Part two of the "before" pictures.

At first glance, the tray doesn't look too bad:

8ZTxJm0.jpg

Let's get closer - getting uglier:

exGgIWT.jpg

And after some scraping with a putty knife, not the worst I've seen from others, but not looking too good. I'm not sure what I am going to do about this yet.:

RQW3OqL.jpg

Flavorizer bars - looks like I'll be sending more money to rcplanebuyer....:

inliqYI.jpg

Burners and rusted out bolt that secures the burner - that'll be fun to get out:

lZFCU3j.jpg

Wzina5R.jpg

Bottom of cookbox:

62O8KjX.jpg

Parts graveyard - but I won't throw any of them away until I'm done and have grilled my first steak!

oBQr39t.jpg

Initial dismantling of everything - at this point any sane person asks themselves, "What the heck have I gotten myself into?" That is if their wife didn't already ask the same thing.....

4jwZh03.jpg

Larry,

For the rust, use something like POR15 or Eastwood Rust Encapsulator as you can just paint over the rust with those products when they're dry. Then you can paint over it with Rustoleum high heat (gray color) or Krylon because the POR 15/Eastwood is black in color to match the other pieces. Yah, that grill is still good because of the stainless frame that a lot of people are looking for so it's definitely a keeper. When I first started rehabbing I didn't know a l lot about it but this site and the folks on it are very knowledgeable and are eager to help you out.
Have fun!

Yah, clearly that is a keeper grill and it looks like have a good start on the rehab. Good luck and keep us posted.

And after some scraping with a putty knife, not the worst I've seen from others, but not looking too good. I'm not sure what I am going to do about this yet.:

RQW3OqL.jpg

It still looks to be pretty solid. Take a sander to it, remove all the rust you can, then
as mentioned, hit it with the rust encapsulator and paint it.

DO NOT REMOVE THAT BOLT!

ONCE AGAIN, DO NOT REMOVE THAT BOLT!
Take it from those of us that have made that mistake. It is not meant
to be removed. 9 times out of 10 that darned bolt breaks off and causes
much-unneeded frustration to fix. The burner tubes slide in right under it. It they don't
slide right out, just wedge a flat tip screwdriver down between the tube
and the side wall of the firebox, and give it a little turn. It should pop
right out.

Last edited:
So, Dave, you're saying go ahead and remove the bolt then? :cool:

Yea - Before I starting pulling everything apart I was thinking "How am I going to get this out without snapping it and leaving half in the hole?", and then when I slid the center burner out I realized they all just slide out and aren't captive via a through hole.

But that rusty old thing is buggin' me.... Must. Control. My. OCD.

Glad I can seal up the rust on that bottom tray with the method you guys have suggested. I want to keep the closed based so that will work out good.

Today it's supposed to go up into the 50's here, so I am going to use the pressure washer to clean out the cookbox, and give some other stuff a hit with it. More pics on progress tonight.

Yeah I would not replace that grill with the new ones. Yep just go after that heavier rust, than a little RE or POR15. One thing I like about RE is it can be bought in spray cans and you can also get a long 360 deg applicator spray tube for it

Yea - Before I starting pulling everything apart I was thinking "How am I going to get this out without snapping it and leaving half in the hole?", and then when I slid the center burner out I realized they all just slide out and aren't captive via a through hole.

NO DO NOT remove the bolt in the fire box at the end of the burner tube. It is only there as a place holder to hold down the tube. It is not meant to be removed and with twist off 97.5% of the time if you try to take it out. Just use a screwdriver to pry the tube back and out from under the bolt. You might want to use a bit of penatrating oil like PB blaster to loosen up the rust and corrosion under the burner tube first.

Has anyone ever approached rcplanebuyer and asked if he'd make a replacement tray? For someone in the metal fab business, seems like this would be straightforward.

Wire cup brush on an angle grinder wount make it new, but will make it look much better. After I got the burners out of the way that's what I did on that bolt.

If you would happen to snap it off, you can drill it out and put a new one in. Before I knew better, I twisted one off. Heck, if they corrode bad enough, they might just wind up disintegrating.

LarryS,

I am late to this party but a big fan of these Platinum grills. It is great to see you having fun doing a thorough restoration. I think you are making a great choice that will pay off in the end. Those rcplanebuyer grates are an awesome upgrade, and with the other new parts and repairs you will have an extra nice grill.

I, too, have been trying to come up with a solution for stainless parts to replace the cabinetry which is the only real weak link in an otherwise bulletproof grill. I had hoped my sheet metal friend would help me, but he sold his business. It would be interesting to see if rcplanebuyer would be willing to help. Since these cabinet parts also fit the Silver and Gold models, I bet we could generate interest in placing an order for a bunch of them to get the price down.

Since the side pieces are not really structural, making replacements out if aluminum would be another possibility.

Last edited:
As long as they dont have holes and the edges are in relatively good shape, they are fine.

Back