Full Size Brisket On An 18" WSM

Well that's one I've never seen before, interesting for sure but I don't see what he's gaining.
That (14#?) brisket looked like it would fit tween the handles with a little oomph.
I know I've done several 18# on my 18.5" and I just wedged it tween the handles, adds a little camber in the middle but it will shrink and lay down flat in a few hrs.

Tim

“Ah keep mah feathas numbered for just such an occasion.”
It was a 12 pound packer! That’s an easy project “Cher”.
His video, his idea. But, I “handle squeeze” 14 pound briskets with exactly the end that there is “shrinkage”.

Thank you George Castanza!

Of course this is heat shrinkage rather than “cold”!

Last edited:
Yup
No problems with a 15 myself
Lay over the weber rib rack thats curved....in a couple hours lay it flat

If forget.....the ends will be done before center. A few inches over grate, is cooler than at grate. And the ends is hotter zone anyway

Last edited:
The solution I've seen the most, is just put a chunk of smoke wood under the middle of the brisket.

I always use a chunk underneath the brisket to avoid water from collection on the brisket but it's not really getting shorter, just some inches.

Yup
No problems with a 15 myself
Lay over the weber rib rack thats curved....in a couple hours lay it flat

If forget.....the ends will be done before center. A few inches over grate, is cooler than at grate. And the ends is hotter zone anyway

Would his way keep the ends from getting done too quick?

I always put some foil under the ends.

That was a 18# I did HH and those pics were after a few hours before I foiled it.

Tim

I recently saw a Harry Soo video where he placed two chunks of smoke wood underneath the center of the brisket so the ends would fit better. He said the raised center portion would drain to the outside and help protect the ends (I think).

I recently saw a Harry Soo video where he placed two chunks of smoke wood underneath the center of the brisket so the ends would fit better. He said the raised center portion would drain to the outside and help protect the ends (I think).

Yeah, a chunk or two of smoke wood under the brisket will do the trick in most cases. I have a double-wide piece that I wrap in foil, works great. Some have used a small stainless steel bowl and draped the brisket over that. Or shoehorn between the handles works in most instances.

But why choose a brisket so long in the first place? I know Harry Soo likes to buy huge briskets for competition, but then he trims the heck out of them and they get smaller in the process. For the backyard, there's no reason to buy such a huge brisket, buy something in the 12-15 pound range, easy peasy.

I like to cook my briskets flat, not doing a wheelie as shown in the video. :) But do whatever works for you and makes you happy.

But why choose a brisket so long in the first place? I know Harry Soo likes to buy huge briskets for competition, but then he trims the heck out of them and they get smaller in the process. For the backyard, there's no reason to buy such a huge brisket, buy something in the 12-15 pound range, easy peasy.

I like to cook my briskets flat, not doing a wheelie as shown in the video. :) But do whatever works for you and makes you happy.

I think some may buy whats available.
My local stores only had mostly 17-18 lb choice last time l looked around.

Costco has 12 - 14 lb primes. Its a no brainer.
But not everyone lives near costco.

Costcos meat is 95% of reason i have membership.

I also understand that some people will put wood under their brisket to get rid of low spots that will pool expelled moisture and see slow bark formation even if the brisket fits fine.

Last edited:
I used to put foil under the edges but since I got my Hunsaker Vortex Plate, I don't need to.

I used to put foil under the edges but since I got my Hunsaker Vortex Plate, I don't need to.

I saw an image of that device. I take it the design of the fins create a vortex of sorts?

I hope I can get the nerve to smoke a full brisket one day. I tried smoking a few cuts of brisket a few times, but the meat came of rubbery and chewy.

Last edited:
I saw an image of that device. I take it the design of the fins create a vortex of sorts?

I hope I can get the nerve to smoke a full brisket one day. I tried smoking a few cuts of brisket a few times, but the meat came of rubbery and chewy.

" Its better to have loved and lost,than never to have loved at all" applies to brisket. Even if it turns out less than perfect,it's still going to turn out mighty tastey:)

I've never seen the smoke spinning, but it evens out the heat and there aren't hot spots around the edges. As for brisket, just jump in with a full packer. Lots of advice here on how (try hot & fast - once I did one that way, I never went back). Once you nail one, you will wonder why you thought it was so hard to do.

Rusty, it’s not hard. It is just something you have to just go ahead and do. You will be like a mother hen for the first one, the second is easier and, the third you will take a nap while it rolls along! I have a nice prime 16 pounder in the freezer, it’s about time to get that working!

If I remember correctly, Sam's is now selling prime brisket for 3.50 per pound. Maybe I can get some (daring) friends to join me in a purchase. :cool:

Back